Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2012 Race 5 & 6 Thruxton

Porsche News

Porsche Carrera Cup GB heads for Thruxton

Meadows leads title race into rounds five and six
High-speed track offers unique challenge
Al Harthy and Mann head Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 battles

With three wins from four races, Michael Meadows is setting the standard in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB as the focus switches to the high speed sweeps of Thruxton this weekend (28/29 April).

The Hampshire track comes at the end of a busy period of three weekends and six races in five weeks. Thruxton is the fastest track on the calendar for the 450bhp 911 GT3 Cup cars, with a lap record at more than 113mph, and the notoriously abrasive surface at the Hampshire track always offers the potential for unpredictable races.

April has been a very good month so far for Redline Racing's Meadows. With a busy start to the season, it was vital to hit the ground running and Meadows has done just that. Currently, the Banbury racer has an eleven-point championship lead but he knows well enough that one non-finish will wipe that out, and more. However, if Meadows maintains his current form through the Thruxton weekend, he will go into the six-week break until the next races with an advantage in both points and psychology. Ominously for his rivals, Michael set the pace in pre-race testing at Thruxton before Easter.

Leading the chase of Meadows right now is Lithuanian racer Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) and he has been on the podium every time out so far. Gelzinis has the natural speed to take the fight to Meadows and a debut overall Carrera Cup victory in Hampshire would be a major boost to his title ambitions.

Three fine young racers from Yorkshire pack out the front end of the grid for Team Parker Racing and it is Richard Plant who bagged victory in the opening race at Brands Hatch when Meadows was penalised for running wide. However, Plant has had a run of poor fortune since then and will be determined to get back onto the podium. Sam Tordoff will be right up there and so, too, will be Carrera Cup Scholarship racer Daniel Lloyd who has already starred with two podiums and some mighty performances.

Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) will be eager to bounce back from a shunt last time out at Donington and get back onto the podium as he races at Thruxton for the first time, while Glynn Geddie (Redline Racing) and Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) fly the St Andrew's cross in style.

Heading to Thruxton, Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) has built a handy 15-point lead in the Pro-Am1 category after an impressive double win at Donington. Derek Pierce (JD Pierce with Team Parker) stands out as the big challenger to Al Harthy at this point of the season, but a gaggle of other quick drivers are all chasing a share of the Pro-Am1 glory. The hard-charging Michael Leonard (Naas Court Hotel with Parker), Oly Mortimer (GT Marques) and Spanish racer Victor Jimenez (Redline/Oman Air) are all podium contenders, while George Brewster (Celtic Speed) and Liphook's Keith Webster (Redline/Marque 1) add to the depth of quality in the category.

Pro-Am2 is headed by Carrera Cup newcomer Tania Mann (SIBSport) and the Australian lady is showing impressive form as she learns about racing at this level. Her main rival should be Lithuanian businessman Tautvydas Barstys (Juta Racing).

After qualifying at 14.35 on Saturday, round five will start at 12.20 on Sunday, with round six at 16.25. Both races are due to be broadcast live on ITV4 during the extensive BTCC programme.

Attachments

• thrux1_854.jpg
    thrux1_854.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 32,677
Barker wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup GB at Thruxton

Ben Barker is the third Porsche Carrera Cup GB racer of the season to benefit from Michelin's on-going support of the championship by winning a set of tyres this weekend at Thruxton (28/29 April).

At the start of his first full season in the Carrera Cup GB, Barker is already showing front-running pace despite an accident in the second race at Donington Park last time. With his Parr Motorsport car rebuilt, Barker qualified third and then fourth for the two races at Thruxton. Sunday's round five will be his first race at the high-speed Hampshire track.

Having been the control tyre supplier for the Carrera Cup GB for ten seasons since the championship was created in 2003, Michelin is once more supporting the teams and drivers with the award of a complete set of slick racing tyres at each event. Before the start of testing, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200

Attachments

• thrux3_297.jpg
    thrux3_297.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 32,606
Meadows takes double Carrera Cup GB pole at Thruxton

Michael Meadows takes double pole position
Ahmad Al Harthy makes the pace in Pro-Am1
Tania Mann sets the mark in Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows completed a perfect run of six pole positions on the trot for the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Thruxton today (Saturday 28 April) by setting the standard for rounds five and six of the 2012 championship. In changing weather conditions, Meadows and the Redline Racing team judged it perfectly to end the qualifying session on top.

Meadows changed to slick tyres at just the right moment as the track became less wet in the closing stages of qualifying. He was the only driver to post two laps under the 1m20s mark and duly claimed another two pole positions. In pro-Am1, Ahmad Al Harthy made it a great day for Redline Racing with two poles, while the sole competitor Pro-Am2 runner Tania Mann (SIBSport) qualified in among the Pro-Am1 pack on her first experience of driving a 911GT3 Cup in the wet.

Initially, everyone went out on wet tyres and it was Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) who set the pace. But as the half-hour session progressed the track dried a little and Meadows was one of the first to opt for slicks. It proved to be a smart move and he maintained his unbroken 2012 run of poles. 'We set the car believing it would dry and I got five laps on the slicks," said Meadows. 'We always planned to do two three-lap runs on wets and then change to slicks."

Meanwhile, Richard Plant (Team Parker Racing) stayed on wets for the session and was second for round five and sixth for round six. 'It was a bit of a lottery: it was a knife edge," said Plant. Butcher bagged his best ever Carrera Cup grid position with second for round six and will start sixth for round five. 'That was quite a stressful session," said Butcher. 'The next lap on the slicks would have been good, but the chequered flag was out."

In a good session for Parr Motorsport, Ben Barker was third and then fourth, with Chris Dymond taking an excellent fourth for the opening race. 'I went to slicks early and got a good lap in, but I wondered if it was the right way to go," said Dymond. Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing), Daniel Lloyd (JD Pierce with Team Parker) and Sam Tordoff (Team Parker Racing) all claimed top six positions across the two grids in a session of ever-changing fortunes.

In Pro-Am1, Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) clinched both poles having traded 35 degree temperatures in his home country for six degrees at Thruxton. 'We went to slicks at the end but I really wasn't sure if it was the right way to go. The team got me back out in amazingly quick time," said Al Harthy. Second in Pro-Am1 in both sessions was Oly Mortimer (GT Marques) after a strong performance, while Victor Jimenez (Redline/Oman Air) was third for both races after his first time in the wet.

Round five grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows (1m19.087s); 2 Richard Plant (1m19.817s); 3 Ben Barker (1m19.898s). Pro-Am1 category: 1 Ahmad Al Harthy (1m20.819s); 2 Oly Mortimer (1m22.747s); 3 Victor Jimenez (1m22.867s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Tania Mann (1m25.568s).

Round six grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows (1m19.550s); 2 Rory Butcher (1m21.257s); 3 Jonas Gelzinis (1m21.517s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Ahmad Al Harthy (1m22.208s); 2 Oly Mortimer (1m22.994s); 3 Victor Jimenez (1m24.738s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Tania Mann (1m26.255s).

Attachments

• thrux2_126.jpg
    thrux2_126.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 32,595
Meadows dominates Carrera Cup GB round five at Thruxton

Michael Meadows takes resounding win in terrible conditions
Ahmad Al Harthy takes another Pro-Am1 win
Redline Racing takes 70th Carrera Cup victory

Michael Meadows dominated round five of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Thruxton today (Sunday 29 April) to score his fourth win from five races as dreadful weather conditions made it one of the toughest races in the 10-year Carrera Cup history.

Meadows drove a superb race as heavy rain and wind made for a truly challenging race and the fact that every car finishing unscathed was testament to the skill of the drivers. Ahmad Al Harthy claimed another Pro-Am1 win, while the sole running in ProAm2 Tania Mann bagged maximum points in Pro-Am2 after her first experience of racing in the rain.

With the track awash, the race started behind the safety car to allow drivers to explore the conditions. After three laps, the pace car peeled off and the race started in earnest. Richard Plant (Team Parker Racing) jumped Meadows (Redline Racing) and was actually ahead before they reached the start line. But Meadows bided his time and edged ahead as they raced through the Complex for the eighth time.

Once ahead, Meadows quickly built his lead and was able to ease back over the closing stages as the rain continued. 'I didn't get a great start, but once I got ahead it was a lot easier," said Meadows. 'But the conditions were terrible," he said after extending his overall championship lead.

Plant soon came under attack from Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) and a trip across the kerbs removed the front splitter from Plant's car. That left Plant powerless to defend and Barker took second before the chasing Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) closed in and took third from Plant. 'There was zero visibility when running behind another car," said Barker after a strong drive. 'Once I got past Richard it was a lot easier."

Butcher revelled in the rain to claim a deserved overall podium from sixth on the grid. 'That was worse than Knockhill," he said of the conditions after a first class performance. Plant battled home fourth, which was scant reward for his early race pace. Like Plant, Daniel Lloyd (JD Pierce with Team Parker) had to contend with no front splitter which seriously affects the car's handling in the fast corners, but he claimed fifth at the flag.

Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) always set the pace in Pro-Am1 and took sixth overall as well as a resounding category victory. He spent many laps tracking Chris Dymond (Parr Motorsport) and finally worked ahead on the final lap. 'I think I was faster than him, but I just couldn't see anything," said Al Harthy.

Further back, Oly Mortimer (GT Marques) battled hard to take second in Pro-Am1 after a lengthy challenge from Victor Jimenez (Redline/Oman Air). 'It wasn't the amount of grip that was the problem, it was the standing water," said Mortimer. Jimenez lost his splitter later in the race, but the chasing Derek Pierce (JD Pierce with Team Parker) suffered the same problem and was not able to challenge the Spanish driver for the final Pro-Am1 podium place.

'That was my first race in the rain: I couldn't see a thing," said Mann (SIBSport) after she coped remarkably well in the conditions to stay in touch with the Pro-Am1 cars and claim another Pro-Am2 maximum score.

Round five results:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Ben Barker; 3 Rory Butcher
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Ahmad Al Harthy; 2 Oly Mortimer; 3 Victor Jimenez

Attachments

• thrux4_731.jpg
    thrux4_731.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 32,552
Lloyd wins Carrera Cup thriller at Thruxton

Daniel Lloyd scores first Carrera Cup win
Ahmad Al Harthy completes Pro-Am1 double win

Daniel Lloyd scored a stunning debut Porsche Carrera Cup GB victory at Thruxton today (Sunday 29 April) in a thrilling round six of the championship. In a race of ever changing fortunes, run with slick tyres on a very slippery track, Lloyd battled ahead of long-time leader Rory Butcher as Glynn Geddie charged through to grab second place.

In a race where the entire field started on slicks on a damp track, and then had to cope with more rain mid-race, there was superb action all down the field as drivers battled successfully to stay on track. In Pro-Am1, Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) completed a perfect weekend with another victory, while once again the sole runner in ProAm2 Tania Mann (SIBSport) gain scored maximum Pro-Am2 points after her first taste of racing in such conditions.

Butcher (Celtic Speed) is renowned for his pace in tricky conditions and he burst into the lead at the first corner as Lloyd (JD Pierce with Team Parker) turned in a monster opening lap to go from eighth on the grid to second place. Michael Meadows (Redline Racing) slotted into third, while Geddie (Redline Racing) charged through from 11th on the grid to hold sixth place behind Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing).

Despite losing the splitter from the front of his car on lap five, Lloyd maintained a dogged chase of Butcher and his prayers for more rain were answered mid-race. That mitigated the loss of the splitter somewhat and allowed him to stay close to Butcher as Meadows held a watching brief in third and Geddie hunted them all down.

Conditions mid-race were incredibly tough as the rain returned, but the driving standards were superb as Butcher fended off Lloyd. But Geddie was the big threat now, having demoted Meadows, and by lap 18 the leading trio were almost nose-to-tail. Out of Church a lap later, Butcher and Lloyd were side-by-side and they raced level up to the Chicane with Geddie close behind. Lloyd tried for the outside, but Butcher's car snapped into a spin and Lloyd had to straight-line the chicane to avoid contact.

Now it was Lloyd leading under pressure from Geddie and the Carrera Cup Scholarship driver held on for a debut win by just half a second. 'Rory did a great job leading," said Lloyd. 'When he spun I had nowhere to go: it's just fantastic to get my first win." 'We needed that result," said Geddie after his best drive of the season to date.

Butcher had given his all in supremely tough conditions and completed the podium as Meadows ran home fourth. 'That was about championship preservation," said Meadows, who had wisely opted to make sure of another strong finish rather than take big chances. Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) and Gelzinis completed the top six.

Al Harthy again won Pro-Am1 from seventh overall, having raced well clear of a long tussle between Oly Mortimer (GT Marques) and Victor Jimenez (Redline/Oman Air). 'That's been the toughest weekend I've had in the Carrera Cup," said Al Harthy. 'The conditions were incredible, and we've had two really strong results."

Round six results:
Pro category: 1 Daniel Lloyd; 2 Glynn Geddie; 3 Rory Butcher
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Ahmad Al Harthy; 2 Oly Mortimer; 3 Victor Jimenez

Attachments

• thrux5_105.jpg
    thrux5_105.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 32,550
  • thrux6_176.jpg
    thrux6_176.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 32,545
Awesome racing this weekend - anyone who missed it on ITV4 is advised to go hunting for highlights...

I was lucky enough to have a day with the Honda BTCC team at Thruxton today post race weekend and no rain

My arms are about to fall off

We did autocross in Jazz hybrids first thing

Then the fast stuff got going

1 hour of 500cc Qauds (ATVs)in the quarry with the water in the bomb holes up to your knees Great fun Fantastic power

Then kart racing on the outdoor circuit in heats culminating in a final (came 4th overall )

Then 1st highlight of the day Hot laps with Mat Neal and Gordon Shedden with the two of them driving bumper to bumper and mirror to mirror so much they popped the rear screen of one of the Civic replica race cars

A bit of TD instruction before being let loose in singe seat race cars 2nd highlight of the day what fun they are !

Lastly I got to drive a Mugen Type R on cup tyres for a good few laps WoW but my arms had gone to jelly by the end

Note to self must go do Thruxton in my 964

:grin:

clinchy993 said:
Note to self must go do Thruxton in my 964

You are unlikely to pass the static I am afraid. Not much over 2 litres or diesel powered will :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back