Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Inspection help needed

Motoberg

Nurburgring
Gents,
Just called Peter Morgan to inspect a 993 for me in the south, ( between Gatwick and M25) he's away until next week, is there anyone else down there you'd trust to be accurate and independent?

Maybe I should ask the owner to take it round to Jackals for a quick strip down :D

OPC Byfleet. Used to be camtune, may be worth a shout?

Personally I would use an OPC or an indie as they can put the car on a lift remove the undertrays and inspect the car fully, also this route would most likely be a cheaper option.
I would also do some groundwork myself, contact the garages that carried out the previous services, ask their opinion of the car and check that all is in order.

OPC Byfleet are very good and come highly recommended, they know 993's inside out. Also, GT One are very good. Both are in the Surrey area so not too far.

Good luck with whatever route you take.

Tognola Engineering in Datchet......

I'd use Precision or Paragon. Both are relatively close-by, and both really know their stuff. I'd tip Precision over Paragon as they have an uber-pedantic bodyshop onsite who will tell you where your car has been re-sprayed, when it was re-sprayed, and what the technician had for lunch that day.

I used Peter Morgan and TBH found that their report dwelled on the niggly little stuff (the floormats are a little scuffed, there are signs that the undertray has scraped a speed hump etc), whereas the important oily stuff wasn't looked at properly as they didn't put it on a ramp.

Just my viewpoint...

Hi
Might be worth calling Mark Pearce of Stirlings. Although he will not be able to inspect it as he is located in Cornwall I am sure he will give you a good idea of what to look for on 993 purchase. The 993 s he sales are arguably the best in the business and he knows what to look for.
Regards

Richyd said:
I used Peter Morgan and TBH found that their report dwelled on the niggly little stuff (the floormats are a little scuffed, there are signs that the undertray has scraped a speed hump etc), whereas the important oily stuff wasn't looked at properly as they didn't put it on a ramp.

I concur, having used him twice. In addition, Peter Morgan doesn't give you a steer on costs to fix anything. And his inspector in the Midlands was so negative that I don't know how the guy gets out of bed every morning: "your 964 has got scuttle rust - run away, run away!". Really, I thought every 964 suffers from scuttle rust, does this mean I should rule out every single 964?

Use a good indy - much better option if possible.

Motoberg said:
Gents,
Just called Peter Morgan to inspect a 993 for me in the south, ( between Gatwick and M25) he's away until next week, is there anyone else down there you'd trust to be accurate and independent?

Maybe I should ask the owner to take it round to Jackals for a quick strip down :D

Best take it to a trusted independent with full garage facilities
http://911uk.com/template.php?page=84

Having used Peter Morgan in the past i would now use a good indy that can get the car into a workshop and up on some ramps etc.
My PPI repoort looked comprehensive but once bought it became obvious that things had been missed.

If using Peter morgan deffo clarify how the road test will be done, mine was

" following the seller for some 6-7 miles, more than allowed him to gauge the engine operation from an external viewpoint. The length of the test drive at over 3 miles was comparable in scope and length to any inspection we conduct"

Peters words not mine and they actually got the car up to 30 mph :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back