Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2012 Race 1 & 2 Brands Hatch

Porsche News

Brands Hatch opener for Porsche Carrera Cup GB

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2012 Race 1 & 2 Brands Hatch

Superb 22-car field for opening two races
Youngest ever line-up in the Pro category
Battle to be joined in Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

The 2012 Porsche Carrera Cup GB will roar into life at Brands Hatch (31 March/1 April) with a superb 22-car field and a gaggle of young lions opening their bids for glory in the Pro category. With more fierce competition in the Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 categories, the stage is set for a fabulous tenth season for the Carrera Cup GB.

Starting a 20-race season, that will finally conclude back at Brands Hatch in just under seven months, will be a stunning Pro entry, packed with hugely promising young racers. Across the eight drivers in the Pro category, the average age is just over 23 and a half, giving the front of the Carrera Cup the youngest line-up in the 10-year history of the championship.

The 2012 season will also be the most cosmopolitan in the Carrera Cup GB story to date. As well as drivers from England, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland, nations represented on the grid will include Australia, Belgium, Lithuania, Oman, Spain and Turkey.

Michael Meadows, runner-up last season, heads the entry along with his Redline Racing team mate Glynn Geddie and they make a formidable pairing. Meadows had a stellar season in 2011 and missed the title by a whisker, while Geddie returns to the Carrera Cup in pursuit of unfinished business and the young Scot will be fiercely competitive.

Ranged against the two Redline racers will be a trio of young chargers from Yorkshire with Team Parker Racing. Sam Tordoff and Richard Plant showed fine pace last year and are ready to capitalise on the experience of their first Carrera Cup seasons, while Carrera Cup Scholarship winner Daniel Lloyd joins the squad and has already shown strong form in testing.

Reigning Pro-Am1 champion Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) has stepped up and has natural speed in abundance, while Parr Motorsport fields Ben Barker and Chris Dymond in the Pro category to give the team a very promising line-up.

Pro-Am1 will be just as competitive as Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed), Oly Mortimer (GT Marques) and Derek Pierce (Team Parker Racing) try to corner the glory for Scotland. Ahmad Al Harthy (Oman Air/Redline), Michael Leonard (Team Parker Racing), George Richardson (Parr Motorsport) and Carrera Cup newcomer Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) will be battling to stop the spoils going north.

The Pro-Am2 field continues the theme of a race-within-a-race and it is defending champion George Brewster (Celtic Speed) who will be the benchmark for the new season. However, Keith Webster (Redline Racing) came very close to taking the 2011 title and showed tremendous form at the pre-season test day at Silverstone in mid-March.

Meanwhile, Yucel Ozbek (Redline Racing), Tania Mann (SIBSport), Tautvydas Barstys (Juta Racing) and Will Goff (Will Goff Racing) add to the strength of ProAm2 along with series newcomer Belgian racer Jean Glorieux (Speedlover).

After qualifying at 11.20 on Saturday, round one will start at 16.05 on Saturday, with round two at 13.25 on Sunday. Round two will be broadcast live on ITV4 during the extensive BTCC programme.

Attachments

• cc2012_213.jpg
    cc2012_213.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 26,339
Meadows tops Carrera Cup GB test at Brands Hatch

Michael Meadows is fastest overall in testing as Rory Butcher leads the chase
Ahmad Al Harthy sets the pace in Pro-Am1
Tania Mann stars to head the Pro-Am2 times

Michael Meadows scored the first strike of the season in testing for the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Friday 30 March) ahead of the opening two rounds of the 2012 championship.

Meadows (Redline Racing) stormed the Indy circuit to set the pace, lapping two-tenths of a second clear of a fiercely competitive chasing pack. While Meadows edged clear, his top eight pursuers were covered by only 17-hundredths of a second, including Pro-Am1 pacesetter Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air). Topping the Pro-Am2 category with a fine championship debut was Tania Mann (SIBSport).

For much of the afternoon session the times at the head of the Pro category were incredibly close, but then Meadows put a marker down to edge clear with a best of 46.232s, set in the final minutes of testing. 'It was good to go out and do that, said Meadows. 'We worked on the set-up and found something good later on. There could be more to come in qualifying tomorrow," he added.

Leading the chase of Meadows with a mighty run was Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed), with Sam Tordoff (Team Parker Racing), Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing), Daniel Lloyd (JD Pierce with Parker) and Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) wrapping up an incredibly strong top six.

'That was a hard session," said Butcher, who was P1 until Meadows' late charge. 'I had a puncture early on, but I just kept calm and put the new tyres on." Tordoff also had a dramatic session when he had to pit for more fuel when running on his new tyres. He then spun off at Surtees in the closing moments and bumped the tyre wall. 'It should have been so much better," he said.

Eighth best overall, behind Glynn Geddie (Redline Racing), put Al Harthy top of Pro-Am1 from Michael Leonard (Naas Court Hotel with Parker) and Derek Pierce (JD Pierce with Parker). 'I'm pleased with testing and I now need to perform well in qualifying," said Al Harthy. Leonard, meanwhile, was also pleased with progress. 'Very happy: I've not done much testing and I'm starting to get back into the swing of it."

In Pro-Am2, Mann was elated to set the pace ahead of her first Carrera Cup race weekend. 'I can't quite believe that," she said. 'I'm just building my pace bit by bit and I'm having an absolute ball." Less than a tenth of a second slower was Tautvydas Barstys (Juta Racing) while another series newcomer was third as Will Goff (Goff Racing) made big progress through the day. 'That's a big step forward," he said after improving by one and a half seconds in the later session.

After qualifying at 11.20am on Saturday morning, the first race is scheduled to start at 4.05pm on Saturday afternoon.

Attachments

• meadows_714.jpg
    meadows_714.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 26,331
Are itv4 doing the race coverage agin this year?

Senoj said:
Are itv4 doing the race coverage agin this year?

After qualifying at 11.20 on Saturday, round one will start at 16.05 on Saturday, with round two at 13.25 on Sunday. Round two will be broadcast live on ITV4 during the extensive BTCC programme.

I will be at Brands Hatch this weekend,guest of a BTCC team.

Also like to follow the Porsche Carrera Cup and the Clio Cup cars.

ian996 said:
I will be at Brands Hatch this weekend,guest of a BTCC team.

Also like to follow the Porsche Carrera Cup and the Clio Cup cars.

Ditto
Pirtek Racing I think ? (New Civic Type R)

Plant wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup at Brands

Richard Plant is the first Porsche Carrera Cup GB racer of the season to benefit from Michelin's on-going support of the championship by winning a set of tyres this weekend at Brands Hatch (31 March/1 April).

At the start of his second season in the Carrera Cup GB, the Yorkshire racer has continued his partnership with Team Parker Racing and is one of the championship's young guns in the contest for overall wins and podiums.

Having been the control tyre supplier for the Carrera Cup GB for ten seasons since the championship was created in 2003, Michelin is once more supporting the teams and drivers with the award of a complete set of slick racing tyres at each event. Before the start of testing, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Attachments

• plant2_899.jpg
    plant2_899.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 26,266
He looks like my 6 yr old!

Porsche News said:
At the start of his second season in the Carrera Cup GB :eek: , the Yorkshire racer has continued his partnership with Team Parker Racing and is one of the championship's young guns in the contest for overall wins and podiums.

Formula Palmer Audi Champion in 2009 aged 20.

He must have had a well paid paper round. :grin:

Meadows tops Carrera Cup GB qualifying at Brands Hatch

Michael Meadows takes double pole position
Ahmad Al Harthy sets the pace in Pro-Am1
Tania Mann takes both Pro-Am2 pole positions

Michael Meadows underlined his status as early season pacesetter in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Saturday 31 March) by taking two pole positions for the opening two rounds of the 2012 championship.

While Richard Plant and Carrera Cup Scholarship driver Daniel Lloyd led the chase of Meadows at the head of the Pro category, Ahmad Al Harthy and Tania Mann were the stars of Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 in a superbly competitive field. Less than a second covered the first 14 drivers and the entire 21-car field was covered by less than two seconds on the grid for the opening race of 2012.

'That's been quite a good day so far," said Meadows (Redline Racing). 'We got a good balance yesterday and I saw a 45.9s lap on the dash." However, on official times his best lap was 46.006s as he clinched pole for round one and during a series of very quick laps, he set a second best of 46.092s to secure pole for round two as well. 'That's the perfect start to the season," he said after scoring the first two championship points of 2012.

Plant (Team Parker Racing) was second and then third on the two grids to score his best qualifying result so far and get his season off to an excellent start. 'I went into qualifying more relaxed and it was a great session," said Plant. Meanwhile, Lloyd (JD Pierce with Team Parker) took third and then second places to make the most impressive start to a season so far for a Scholarship driver. 'Absolutely mega," said an elated Lloyd. 'There was a little bit more in me," he added.

Completing the top six overall for both races were Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) with two fourth places, Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) in fifth and sixth and Sam Tordoff (Team Parker Racing) with sixth and fifth. For round one, the top eight drivers on the grid were split by less than a third of a second.

It was almost as close at the head of Pro-Am1 with 15-hundredths of a second separating Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air), Derek Pierce (JD Pierce with Team Parker) and Michael Leonard (Naas Court Hotel with Team Parker). The grid for round two was the same, with an almost identical gap in the times. 'That was a very good session," said Al Harthy. 'I'm pleased with how the car feels." Pierce had a better time disallowed for running four wheels over the white line at the edge of the circuit, but Pierce and Leonard were in very good shape and look set to take the Pro-Am1 battle to Al Harthy.

It was a superb session for Tania Mann (SIBSport) who claimed both Pro-Am2 poles ahead of her Carrera Cup debut. She upped her pace further from testing and headed Pro-Am2 as a third of a second covered the four cars in the category. 'That's fantastic," said Mann. 'I was just building up steadily again and following our plan." Series newcomer Jean Glorieux (Speedlover) and Tautvydas Barstys (Juta Racing) were close behind.

Round One grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows (46.006s); 2 Richard Plant (46.127s); 3 Daniel Lloyd (46.179s)
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Ahmad Al Harthy (46.585s); 2 Derek Pierce (46.688s); 3 Michael Leonard (46.730s)
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Tania Mann (47.617s); 2 Jean Gloriuex (47.868s); 3 Tautvydas Barstys (47.913s).

Round Two grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows (46.092s); 2 Daniel Lloyd (46.258s); 3 Richard Plant (46.293s)
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Ahmad Al Harthy (46.630s); 2 Derek Pierce (46.741s); 3 Michael Leonard (46.743s)
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Tania Mann (47.701s); 2 Jean Gloriuex (47.936s); 3 Tautvydas Barstys (47.941s).

Attachments

• brands1_137.jpg
    brands1_137.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 26,226
Richard Plant takes opening victory in Round 1 of the 2012 Carrera Cup Championship, further to Race Leader Meadows recieving a five second penalty for exceeding the track limits.

Pro-Am1 victory went to Derek Pierce and Pro-Am2 was won by Will Goff.

Further details to follow.

121303rc1por.gif

Plant takes first Carrera Cup GB win at Brands Hatch

Richard Plant wins season opener after Michael Meadows is penalised
Derek Pierce dominates Pro-Am1
Will Goff wins Pro-Am2 on championship debut

Richard Plant started his second season in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB with victory in round one at Brands Hatch today (Saturday 31 March) after Michael Meadows was penalised five seconds for running wide at Graham Hill Bend.

Both drivers turned in fine drives to head the field with Meadows staying just clear of his rival until the penalty for exceeding the track limits was applied and he dropped to third in the final results behind Plant and Jonas Gelzinis. Derek Pierce shot into the lead of Pro-Am1 from the start and was never headed while Will Goff bagged Pro-Am2 after overhauling early leader Tania Mann.

Meadows (Redline Racing) converted pole into a first corner lead and that was where he stayed for 34 laps as Plant (Team Parker Racing) chased relentlessly. The gap was never much more than a second, although Meadows jumped clear after an early safety car. Plant then battled back towards the leader and ran within half a second all the way to the flag. Unfortunately for Meadows, he was penalised five seconds late in the race for running all four wheels over the white line on the exit of Graham Hill Bend.

'Disappointing," said Meadows with some understatement after an otherwise faultless drive. 'I wasn't in any trouble: I'll just try again tomorrow." For Plant his first Carrera Cup victory was a landmark result. 'I wanted to keep with Michael because he's one of the fastest guys on the grid. It's hard to come into such a challenging championship and get your first win so I couldn't ask for more," said Plant.

Gelzinis (Juta Racing) had chased Meadows and Plant for lap after lap and took over second place when Meadows was penalised. 'In the end I didn't push too much because I wasn't 100% sure the tyres would last," said Gelzinis after keeping fourth-placed Sam Tordoff (Team Parker Racing) at bay. Tordoff had moved up to fourth when Daniel Lloyd (JD Pierce with Parker) suffered a puncture and spun out of fourth place and into the Paddock Hill gravel on lap 11. Tordoff was half a second away from demoting Meadows back to fourth at the flag. Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) wrapped up the top five from Glynn Geddie (Redline Racing).

Pierce (JD Pierce with Parker) shot into the Pro-Am1 lead with a rocket start that put him ahead of Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air). When Michael Leonard (Naas Court Hotel with Parker) dived ahead of Al Harthy into Clearways, Pierce was able to consolidate his advantage. 'Job done," said Pierce. 'I made a mega start. Michael gave me a hard time for a few laps after the safety car, and then I just kept it clean," he added after finishing four seconds clear. Meanwhile, Al Harthy battled to find a way around Leonard, who defended vigorously to retain second. 'I didn't get one minute to chill out," said Leonard.

Pro-Am1 boiled down to a battle between Goff (Goff Racing) and Mann (SIBSport) after an early clash between Tautvydas Barstys (Juta Racing) and Jean Glorieux (Speedlover). Mann led the early laps, but Goff then edged ahead and pulled clear for a debut victory as Mann took second despite a late pit stop when she thought she had picked up a puncture. 'That was a good race," said Goff after an excellent drive, while Mann accumulated vital race experience on her Carrera Cup debut. 'It was hard work, but I'm glad to get the first race under my belt," she said.

Round One results:
Pro category: 1 Richard Plant; 2 Jonas Gelzinis; 3 Michael Meadows
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Derek Pierce; 2 Michael Leonard; 3 Ahmad Al Harthy
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff; 2 Tania Mann

Attachments

• brands2_196.jpg
    brands2_196.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 24,806
Meadows takes Carrera Cup GB round two at Brands Hatch

Michael Meadows wins from the front as Daniel Lloyd leads the chase
Oly Mortimer takes Pro-Am1 spoils
Tautvydas Barstys claims first Pro-Am2 victory

Michael Meadows scored a resounding victory in round two of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Sunday 1 April) with a faultless drive as Carrera Cup Scholarship driver Daniel Lloyd drove a great race to lead the pursuit and take second.

After being penalised down to third place in Saturday's opening race for exceeding the track limits, Meadows (Redline Racing) came back in style to win round two after leading from the lights to the flag. Both Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 provided first time victories as Oly Mortimer (GT Marques) and Tautvydas Barstys (Juta Racing) took advantage of other drivers' problems to head their respective categories in an action-packed race.

Meadows swept ahead from the start as Lloyd (JD Pierce with Team Parker) slotted into a second place he would hold all race. The gap was seldom more than a second and Meadows had to deal with two safety car periods before finally taking the chequered flag after a drive that underlined his position as early season pacesetter. 'It wasn't easy but it was comfortable," said Meadows. 'Daniel was always there, but as long as I didn't make a mistake I was okay."

Meadows didn't make any mistakes and duly established an early points' lead as Lloyd starred with a great performance to take second. 'It's been an amazing weekend," said Lloyd, who has crashed out of the first race after a puncture. 'I'm just glad we came back strongly today," he added. '34 laps round here is tough, so I'm very pleased." Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) and Sam Tordoff (Team Parker Racing) made up a close-knit leading quartet and were always ready to pounce if either Meadows or Lloyd had made a mistake.

A mighty recovery drive after a first corner knock sent him down to 13th place netted Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) a superb fifth place. However, out of luck was round one winner Richard Plant (Team Parker Racing) who was given a drive through penalty for a false start before tigering back to take seventh place behind Chris Dymond (Parr Motorsport).

With round one Pro-Am1 winner Derek Pierce (JD Pierce with Team Parker) out at the first corner after a clash, Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) fought ahead of Michael Leonard (Naas Court Hotel with Parker) and went on to win on the road. However, a five-second penalty for running wide at Graham Hill Bend cost Al Harthy victory and dropped him to third as Mortimer took over to win with George Brewster (Celtic Speed) right behind. 'I didn't expect that: I'm over the moon," said Mortimer. Meanwhile, Brewster won the 'driver of the weekend' award for scoring his first Pro-Am1 podium after a trying weekend. Team Parker Racing earned the 'team of the weekend' award.

The contest for Pro-Am2 featured changing fortunes and included a clash at Druids when Will Goff (Goff Racing) and Tania Mann (SIBSport) touched and spun. Mann later ended her race in the gravel at Paddock Hill Bend and it was Jean Glorieux (Speedlover) who headed the pack over the line. But he was also penalised five seconds for running wide and dropped to third so Barstys claimed victory after holding off the challenging Goff.

Round Two results:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Daniel Lloyd; 3 Jonas Gelzinis
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Oly Mortimer; 2 George Brewster; 3 Ahmad Al Harthy
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Tautvydas Barstys; 2 Will Goff; 3 Jean Glorieux

121303rc2por.gif

Attachments

• brands3_885.jpg
    brands3_885.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 24,794

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads