Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Potential 911 Owner with questions...

fizz

Hi, Hope I have put this in the right place.

In a year or so the finance on my current Audi A6 will be sorted and I'll be in a position to look for another car. I've hankered after a 911 since I was a small child and I'm at a point now in my life where ownership looks to be a viable option financially.

I've been reading yours and many other forums and I know what I want. Namely a 996 Turbo, I could realistically go to anywhere between £25000 to £30000 on purchase price.

It would be a 2nd car, with the main vehicle that we would use being our Ford Focus C Max Diesel. The 911 would be something we would use for the odd journey to work or visit the in laws or my parents so it would get regular use just not every day.

I live in Somerset and I believe the nearest Porsche dealer is Exeter Porsche, anybody have any opinion on what they are like to deal with and quality of service.

Theres a Ducati and a GSXR in the garage so I am used to high running costs and doing whats needed to keep on top of maintenance and I dont mind paying for things to be done right.

After some opinion really whether my budget is OK, and what sort of running costs etc I'd be looking at. The Audi has 19" tyres on it so buying new tyres for the Porsche wont come at to much of a shock. I'm 38 years old, Insurance shouldnt be a problem but I will check. I was quoted Just short of a £1000 for comprehensive cover on an Audi RS6 ( the V10 ) a little while ago.

I want something I can drive and enjoy, but it also needs to be able to deal with the odd trip along the motorway or longer journey.

I've drive a Turbo on track at Thruxton a few years ago and the experience of it, the power delivery and the sheer way it drove has never really left me.

I like to thoroughly research what I am about to buy and will no doubt take ages reading all the threads on your forum, so I fully understand what I am getting into. My main concern is that I can purchase the car but then the running costs are to steep and I would never drive it to enjoy it.

thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Welcome to 911uk :bye:

You are in a very good position and I'm sure at the start of a great driving experience. Good luck with the journey.

I know very little about the 996, but I'm sure some of the lads will be along shortly.

:welcome:

While I may be somewhat biased, you really can't do much better than going for a turbo. They're immune from the main mechanical worries associated with 996/997s, and while I haven't really studied their prices your budget seems reasonable.

The Turbo offers outstanding performance when you want it (as you'll know from you're track test) but is equally at home on the motorway and can cross continents in real comfort - unless you're sat in the back!

The main advice typically offered is to ignore age or mileage and buy on condition and history. Having come from an RS4 myself I'd say normal running costs aren't significantly more than your top range german saloons, and money can be saved using independent garages rather than official porsche centres. Tyres can be more expensive as you really need to go for porsche N-rated ones which can attract a premium over normal ones. Insurance shouldn't be too high either, especially if you're doing fewer miles.

Other than that, you can't get much better for your money. Take your time finding a good one and you won't be disappointed! Happy hunting... :thumb:

fizz said:
I could realistically go to anywhere between £25000 to £30000 on purchase price.

After some opinion really whether my budget is OK.

Welcome Fizz, imo you should be able to get a very nice car for less than £30k, especially if you're able (and willing) to find one privately.

I'm 38 years old, Insurance shouldnt be a problem but I will check. I was quoted Just short of a £1000 for comprehensive cover on an Audi RS6 ( the V10 ) a little while ago.

I'd be surprised if you have to pay more for a 996T over the RS6.

I want something I can drive and enjoy, but it also needs to be able to deal with the odd trip along the motorway or longer journey.

:grin: ........... You ARE joking, right. :?:

I like to thoroughly research what I am about to buy and will no doubt take ages reading all the threads on your forum, so I fully understand what I am getting into.

I look forward to hearing your progress.

My main concern is that I can purchase the car but then the running costs are to steep and I would never drive it to enjoy it.

You'll find a way. :thumb:

hi Fizz

:bandit: Look at GT4's porsche for sale , it might be just what you wanted . He's on this forum , blue colour , click his add and read the rest . Good luck . Cuba Steve :bandit: :bandit:

Re: hi Fizz

cubasteve said:
Look at GT4's porsche for sale , it might be just what you wanted .

:? GT4's car isn't a Turbo.

Sounds like you already have the right idea; take your time reading up on the car (common faults, running costs etc.), get out there and test drive some, look for something that ticks all your boxes then buy and enjoy! 8)

Not much advice over and above that really; running costs can easily mount up so buy the best car you can to try and avoid some of the silly bills, but also go into it with your eyes open and understand these aren't the sort of cars you can just spend £100 on an oil change on every other year and expect to be in tip-top condition - you will need to spend to keep it sweet.

Cuba Steve - T8 is right, what are you smoking man?! I'm sure GT4s car will be a fantastic buy for someone but a 996 turbo it ain't... :grin:

No Turbo True

:bandit: True it's not a Turbo , but it's got some special super charger thing amado on it . We know its a good buy , in great condition , looks cheep for what it is . Just a suggestion :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

GT4 said:
No forced induction here, move along please.

Just X51: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dixonpj/GT4/X51PMD.pdf

Sorry to hijack the thread but have you decided what you're having next? I thought you had decided to keep the 996.1 recently, but I'm guessing something has taken your fancy and it's back up for sale now it's out of hibernation and taxed again? Scratching that 997 turbo itch...? :?:

Thanks for responses so far.

I had looked at GT4's car and it is very nice, but I'm not in a position to buy just yet. I've got it into my heart that I want a turbo so thats what I am going to go for.

I found some PDF's on here last night and the servicing doesnt look to bad, like I said there's a Ducati in our garage and I'm used to spending out on that to keep on top of it. With that I've found that a small bill for some preventative maintenance goes along way to avoid big bills later on, so I'll be treating whatever I get in the same way.

One other question I had is, what fuel does the Turbo need, will it run on 95RON or do I need to run it on 97 RON / Superunleaded ?

It will run on 95, but the ECU will adjust the settings accordingly so that it runs safe. 98 or higher is the preferred choice to get the best out of it. GT4 (or others) can point you to a another thread that discusses this topic in some detail, but bottom line is use 98 whenever possible...

You'll need to run it on 97RON minimum to get access to all 414bhp.

~ Maxie

Maxie said:
You'll need to run it on 97RON minimum to get access to all 414bhp.

~ Maxie

+1

Pointless getting the Turbo and then strangling it.

The car's DME will recalibrate the engine to lower power on <98RON (95 RON).

Standard 95 RON is NOT specified in the manual or the handy REMINDER on the fuel flap (although it will not harm the vehicle if required in an emergency).

Although having said that, the car will retard the timing to prevent pinking, reduce power and the engine will run hotter on 95 RON, and that is not good for all sorts of reasons.

Expect to lose about 30BHP and a load of torque if you use 95 RON fuel on a Turbo (less so on an NA)

95 RON will also result in increased consumption at a steady speed - by up to 2-3mpg.

So a real false economy to fill with the cheap stuff.

The car will automatically adjust back to a higher RON, but whereas lower RON adjustment is immediate (as it is based on a pre-detonation sensor), readjustmanet back to higher RON may take upto half a tank.

The car can "learn" the fuel grade (and atmospheric fuelling effects), so if you are planning in using a higher grade than in the last tankful, do a reset.

1) Mechanical cable models Bosch Motronic 5.7: DME reset via battery, manual TB reset
2) eGas Bosch Motronic 7.2: DME reset via battery, TB reset via key
3) eGas Bosch Motronic 7.8 (inc Turbo): DME reset via battery or key, TB reset via key

Reset via battery requires disconnecting the battery for 30 mins (remember to leave your key in ignition "1" to prevent alarm).

Reset via key requires turning the key to ignition "1" (the position when all the lights are on on the dash) and leaving it for 60+ secs (DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE PEDAL), then switch off for 10+ secs and you should be able to hear a few clicks and whirs from the engine bay as it recalibrates the adaption values.

TBH I wasnt planning on running it on 95, but it is good to know that I can put 95 in it if I needed to if I was running out and the petrol station I stopped at didn't have Super Unleaded.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reesy
Back