Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4 and Turbo Running and servicing

EddieIrvine

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance however I am currently looking at purchasing my first 996 and looking to get some information regarding running costs. I currenly have an Evo VIII so i am no stranger to big running costs (4500 miles/6 month services) and repair bills. I was wondering what the service intervals and rough costs are of the 996 c4 and turbo models and if there is anything else I should consider before making a purchse.

Thanks

Ive had 2 evo's , a 5 and an 8, both amazing cars.

Having just a had a full service on the 996tt (inc plugs and belts) and replacing tires , brake pads and now coil packs, I have to say that ive been really pleased with how little this has cost, certainly not much more than it costs to run an evo! Even fuel costs are similar to an evo !

If you can afford to maintain an evo, a 996tt should be no problem, unless you are unfortunate to have to replace an engine, in which case your screwed :D

Great to hear from someone who has gone from an 8 to a 996. Again excuse my ignorance 996tt turbo? How do you find the car compared to the 8? My main fear of buying a 996 is exactly that, an engine failure lol

ive come from owning 2 impreza's the last one was a 57 plate sti type uk remapped to around 320 bhp....similar to my 996 c4 tiptronic... they are totally different...the impreza was an in your face drive me fast car....always wanting to be driven to the redline. hit 4000 rpm and hell breaks loose with the turbo.... surefooted especaily as it had a drivers controlled centre diff...allowing you to transfer power to front,back more also it had a diff lock good for the bad snow last year let down by its tyres....the ride was hard seats uncomfortable after a while...whilst the 996 c4 tip cab i have now is more comfortable, has a totally different power delivery n/a against a turbo to be expected..but it has the power put your foot down and watch th speedo go up, havent really tried to push the 996 round a track so cannot compare this side but i think that the impreza may have the edge her in the twisties loads of grip...but remember they are both built for differemt things, a rally car detuned for the road and a high speed autobahn cruiser is how i would describe them..fuel consumption is a little better round town and also on a run in the 996 town driving in the impreza was about 17 mpg amd on a run at steady 70 just off boost it would just manage 27 mpg,,drive with a lead foot and you could quite easily hit 10 or 12 mpg..my 996 seems to be doing 19 or 20 pottering around and i have acheived 29.4 using crusie control at steady 70 pph. hope this helps...but just remember the evo.and the impreza are like chalk and cheese certainly when comparing to a n/a 996 dont know about the turbo..

EddieIrvine said:
Great to hear from someone who has gone from an 8 to a 996. Again excuse my ignorance 996tt turbo? How do you find the car compared to the 8? My main fear of buying a 996 is exactly that, an engine failure lol

Engine failures on 996tt's are very rare indeed ! I really wouldnt worry about it !

I started to find evo's boring to be honest, the 911 , imho, is far more rewarding to drive, far better looking, much, much quicker (a 911 tt with a map alone is ASTONISHING!) and has a much better image.

Im so impressed with the 911tt I have even started to consider selling my M5 and buy a 997tt and have 2 :D

Go for it !!!

I take it when you say 996tt you mean the turbo. Whata re the runnign costs of the turbo like compared to the C4? I know deep down I really would rather go for the turbo but i could see it bankrupting me if I bought one and had problems with it

996tt = 996 turbo tiptronic
996tm = 996 turbo manual :)
fortunately they didn't do a Targa version, or it would be a 996ttt

MC

mikegr said:
They say if you dtive a 996TT you get one...

This is so true, after you feel third and fourth gear for the first time its basically game over. :eek:
If you want to keep logic and common sense as part of the buying process, don't make your decision to buy right after a test drive. Go home and think on it for a couple of days 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back