Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Monkey Harris goes mental in a 991, "EVO Teaser"

CHRIS HARRIS: NEW PORSCHE 991, BRIEF THOUGHTS...

Chris Harris:

"Porsche has become adept at parrying criticism of the obvious kind – that's my lasting impression from driving the new 991. Well, that and learning California has some sparkling roads.
Here's how it works. I think the 991 has become unnecessarily big, but it is now so much more refined than the 997 – and I mean almost beyond comparison in terms of NVH and especially tyre noise – that it feels like a GT car. This is good for people who buy 911s for very different reasons than I would – which, I suppose, potentially makes it a bad thing for me.

But it's hard to bemoan extra width when that itself brings the biggest improvement in the car as a driving object. The extra front track width, combined with the vast increase in wheelbase gives the 991 a superb chassis. Far less understeer, much more balance and, of course, the inherent traction benefits of being rear-engined remain. So see what I mean here? It's bigger and far more comfortable – it's a better cruiser, but it's also a far, far better sports car to drive as-fast-as-you-dare. I didn't expect that.

The new PDK calibration is way more immediate than before, with a much better balance of seamlessness and kick-in-the-back. The Carrera S motor is smooth, rev-hungry and yet can return over 30mpg at a fast cruise. The quality of trim and materials in the cabin makes a 997 feel like a Ford Ka.

So, much as I want to complain at the creep of everydayness, I just can't in light of the surprising improvement in raw driving.

Expanded thoughts in the mag next month..."

I want one.

tim993 said:
I want one.

The marketing is working then. Bizillions of euro's justified :lol:

GT4 said:
CHRIS HARRIS: NEW PORSCHE 991, BRIEF THOUGHTS...

Chris Harris:

The quality of trim and materials in the cabin makes a 997 feel like a Ford Ka...."

:eek:

Sounds good too! :thumb:

" I just can't in light of the surprising improvement in raw driving. " - Surely the most apt point, the damn thing is going to be imense. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back