Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 OR 991?

Do you think 997 needed a facelift?

• Yes, i find 991 quite improved in styling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Actually i still like the 997 look

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mikegr

Nurburgring
Personally i think 997 is quite modern looking, there is no reason for a total new look.

It isn't just a whole new look, it's a whole new car going on underneath that body shell. Pretty much the only things that are being carried over are the engines and PDK gearboxes. Otherwise, suspension, chassis, dashboard, seats, lighting etc etc are all new. I didn't select an option but if it was possible I would have picked both of your options as I think the 997 is still a pretty car especially in Gen II guise and more so with a reflective strip running across the back but I also think the new 991 is a very pretty car too - at least from what I've seen in the pictures.

~ Maxie

Maxie said:
much the only things that are being carried over are the engines and PDK gearboxes. ~ Maxie

Engine being uprated of course, and also the PDK has new software :D

Yes sure, the engine is being uprated to 395bhp (400PS) - an additional 15bhp but the block and design is essentially the same as a 997.2. I wasn't aware the PDK software was being altered but I guess software alterations is an on-going development and no doubt the 2013 model will herald changes in the software again.

~ Maxie

I think I'd be very afraid if I had a new 997 Carrera:

red03.jpg

Porsche-997-Carrera-4S-MkII-rouge-3-4-avant-gauche_zoom.jpg

mikegr said:
Personally i think 997 is quite modern looking, there is no reason for a total new look.

Aren't you a bit late for that design meeting?

The car doesn't just look new, it is a quantum leap in almost every facet (in fact the actual (overall) looks are one of the most restrained parts of its 911 evolution).

From length, width, wheel base, materials, technologies, production methods, (market positioning ?).

As Maxie points out, the least changed component "in-block" is the 3.8 MA1.01 engine, but as Rimmer points out it has been significantly tweaked, not least in its Stop-Start etc.

I voted pro-991.

I do think that the 997 is a stunning car still, but the 991 does push the envelope significantly. It remains to be seen whether increased size and electric steering will match the excitement offered by 911's to date (even though mass is down from the 997).

FXT said:
991 but I do like the 997 4S.

When I referred to the 997 as a stunning car in my comment above, I had the 4S in mind :) The wide-body look works very well on 911's.

GT4 said:
mikegr said:

The car doesn't just look new, it is a quantum leap in almost every facet (in fact the actual (overall) looks are one of the most restrained parts of its 911 evolution).

From length, width, wheel base, materials, technologies, production methods, (market positioning ?).

As Maxie points out, the least changed component "in-block" is the 3.8 MA1.01 engine, but as Rimmer points out it has been significantly tweaked, not least in its Stop-Start etc.

I dont dispute the technological superiority of 991 that is expected.
I just wonder if a classic shape of a car like the 911 needs to be redesigned every 4-5 years or so. Keep in mind that since its birth until late 993 models 911 actually remained the same car with improvements.
Now after the 996, another totaly new model...Why? Has the competition grown that much?

ziggyparker said:
im not too keen on the center console.... very panermara

My dear ziggyparker, did you not hear what Mr. Pohanka said? It is that way "so ... that you can use it very quickly" :driving: :D

No really, it has taken me a while as well to accept that centre console on a 911- but now it seems right. Such is change: often a bit difficult to stomach until one acclimatises.

mikegr said:
GT4 said:
mikegr said:

I dont dispute the technological superiority of 991 that is expected.
I just wonder if a classic shape of a car like the 911 needs to be redesigned every 4-5 years or so. Keep in mind that since its birth until late 993 models 911 actually remained the same car with improvements.
Now after the 996, another totaly new model...Why? Has the competition grown that much?

The 996/997 chassis (and almost the engines) lasted 14 years, not too bad.

sld82 said:
ziggyparker said:
im not too keen on the center console.... very panermara

My dear ziggyparker, did you not hear what Mr. Pohanka said? It is that way "so ... that you can use it very quickly" :driving: :D

No really, it has taken me a while as well to accept that centre console on a 911- but now it seems right. Such is change: often a bit difficult to stomach until one acclimatises.

I spent the afternoon in a PanAm, to get a feel for that centre console.

It is fine apart from my initial presumption it would provide a nice lower leg/knee support in hard cornering does not hold true for the PanAm.

I can only hope the top 1/4 of the 991 is not stepped in like the PanAm, and hence does actually support your "bracing" leg all the way to the knee (rather than trying to displace your patella as in the PanAm (admittedly actual gearbox/transmission tunnel).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back