Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Decided to change the oil myself - WOW how easy!!!

black911 said:
surly 1 litre would make some change?
Unless it's more than 1L below the minimum mark, of course...

When was the last time you checked it and how many miles have you done since?

when I did mine last month

997.1s

It took just over 7 litres before the display even showed minimum level.

thereafter it took 0.5 litres between bars

if a litre does make a difference chances are your quite low to start with

last service was on time and my next service is due in 10k miles.
Only noticed it low when I put key in a few days ago.

£19 per litre, I mean I have no issue with the price, but its getting replaced next week so I dont want to spend to much on 1 week if you know what I mean, I will go get another litre and stick it on

for the sake of a week you can get away with mixing it, but better cheap oil than no oil

I just bought 5L, mobile one for £50.00 pretty good instead of buying it per L.
I am going to put some in now and hope it is okay.

added 1L this morning, then another 3 L now... still on 1 bar flashing...
going to wait another hour and out 2 more L in.
I must have been very low..
shame its all coming out next week, waste of money. :grin:

gutted it aint rising...
I started it up sounded nice, no ticking noise that I used to have just want the oil to rise.
I can see my left tank is a bit low also, passed the min, man I need to start looking a bit more instead of driving it.
Anyone know the level of the left hand tank?

Martian said:
Gibbo205 said:
...I am sure its fine but its not Porsche approved......

Lots of things which are higher spec/quality than standard never get the Porsche approved moniker.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports aren't Porsche approved (yet), but it doesn't stop OPC's selling them and the Experience Centre using them!

And the approved viscosity for a Carrera is 0W/40, not 5W/40.

That's not true.

As engines wear, OPCs advise higher winter (cold) viscosities, as can be seen in the approved list.

job done :)

4L :)

Ding Dang Do

That's a very small sump.

Is it full of bearings :?:

black911 said:

Ding Dang Do

How is that even possible?
You have an electronic level which gives you the level every morning, do you not look at it?

I keep mine one below max always and on max for track days.

I feel for your engine, it's surrey been running way too low for months unless yours drinks oil at a high rate or something is wrong with the car?

I dont think it was that low tbh, I was doing it in stages and left it on flat for a while after a warm tickover then all done, its full now so.. should be okay.

anyhow my 63-7001 kit came today so am going to crack on with it tomorrow, cant wait for the results and get my fan rs fan unit back in.

Gibbo205 said:
black911 said:

Ding Dang Do

You have an electronic level which gives you the level every morning, do you not look at it?

I feel for your engine, it's surrey been running way too low for months unless yours drinks oil at a high rate or something is wrong with the car?

When you max, what is it exactly, looking at the oil gauge should it be total full or is max not including the top notch giving the bottom flashes and top flashes for warning? sorry i have no idea.

Can we note the chassis number, just so we can eliminate Porsche from our investigations when the next owner pops up on here in three years time with a blown engine.

black911 said:
Gibbo205 said:
black911 said:

Ding Dang Do

When you max, what is it exactly, looking at the oil gauge should it be total full or is max not including the top notch giving the bottom flashes and top flashes for warning? sorry i have no idea.

Look at this
5afeb7.png

The lower Mark flashing is very bad news, even more so to the fact it must have been like this for months for it too take 3-4l of oil to get it upto maximum.

Get your engine inspected as in bores for scoring and also when the oil is done pull the old filter apart and inspect it for metal shaving.

You should aim to have the oil gauge at least halfway and one below maximum, I check mine every morning without fail as it only takes 6s to look.

I'm amazed you don't and I feel sorry for your engine and really hope no damage is caused as you must have been driving with the oil dangerously low for a very long time and I'd be alarmed as to where 4l vanished too as well?

na its not a big issue, I spoke to Porsche and they didnt seem to think it was to bad they just said add some oil and it will be fine.

I did it and all good car is great again, I never got any warnings just I noticed it when i was talking after putting the key in.

engine inspections.. shavings.. :( naaa its just low oil lol.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back