Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Walter Rohrl and Georg Kacher take a Carrera S for a spin.

sld82

Silverstone
Porsche991CARandRohrl1.jpg

Porsche991CARandRohrl2.jpg

Porsche991CARandRohrl3.jpg

Excerpts:

Rohrl admits the new electro-mechancial power steering caused problems in development. 'Early on, we had problems on low-friction surfaces,' he tells CAR Magazine during our exclusive first ride. 'The phenomenon was called snap-over, and it only showed at the limit whern ultra-fast corrections were required. But engineering quickly fixed it.

'Although the new steering may face the odd acceptance problem among purists, it is in my view superior to a conventional rack because it can support the driver in critical situations, for example, by enhancing the self-centering motion or the directional stability on split-friction surfaces.'

and

Rohrl struggled to provoke the Carrera S into oversteer too - the engineers admit that sideways mode is no longer part of the car's character.

no-this-is-the-ultimate-look-of-disapproval.gif

Wake me up when the 992 comes out.

:sleepy:

agreed....set my alarm for 2016 I'll keep the 997 C4S as a SWB Panamera is of no use :lol:

I bet WR is of course having to tow the party line but deep down having a little chuckle about that steering system...the one that has plagued most Audi's since 2005, with regards to driver feedback. Thankfully Herr Rohrl agrees with my(lol) comments from last month, re how this VAG electro-mechanical steering system behaves when pushed hard on current VAG cars. It's somewhat difficult not to see why it won't affect the 991 also(but hopefully they have improved it before fitting to the 991).

So......we have a weedy BHP 3.4, base 911 with potentially sterile steering.......not much more to say really, until it's tested on UK roads.

Looks like the image links are broken. I hope it is a server issue on the source's end, and that it may be resolved soon.

maybe they were reminiscing/drooling over the old 997 design spec and wondering what went wrong :lol:

wizard993 said:
maybe they were reminiscing/drooling over the old 993 blue-prints and wondering what went wrong :lol:

EFA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back