Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best way to organise a PPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap 125

Spa-Francorchamps
What's the best way to organise a PPI?

What is the best way to organise a PPI and how does it take place?

I'm thinking about buying a 993 from an independent and would like to have the car inspected. Does it need to be taken to the person doing the PPI or is the independent supposed to be happy to lend a ramp and garage space in order for the inspection to take place? I'm just not sure how it should be implemented.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

I bought a 964T a few years ago and had 2 PPI's done (by the same firm, albeit 2 different inspectors). Ranked in order of which one's best, I see this as the PPI merit list:

1) have the car inspected by a good Indy (people on here can suggest places), who you will also be using to maintain the car going forward
2) have the car inspected by a good Indy (people on here can suggest places), who is close to the seller, but the seller doesnt currently use
3) have the car inspected by a mobile inspector (eg Peter Morgan)
4) have the car inspected by a good Indy, who the seller currently uses

Obviously the chance of being able to go route 1 is very slim - you and the seller need to live very close and he has to be happy dropping the car off.

I used Peter Morgan and he is probably the most well known name for Porsche PPI's. The benefit is that he can respond very quickly (useful if the car you want is in demand), and he is mobile so the seller doesnt have to do very much at all. Peter goes to the guy's house and spends 3hrs inspecting the car using his own ramps, tools etc. 2days later you get a detailed report. The downside is that he is expensive - c.£375 I think. The other big downside for me is that both of the reports he did for me contained no pricing information, nor did they make a comparison with other similar cars. eg he pointed out a problem with the aircon fans, but had no idea of the cost to replace/fix. His inspector also pointed out scuttle rust and was extremely negative about it - well I reckon 90% of 964's have had or will have scuttle rust, so its not like my car was unusual - if I had walked away because of scuttle rust then I would have to walk away from a lot of cars.

Overall I saw his service as expensive, convenient, and a nice rubber stamp for people who want reassurance that the car isnt a pup.

I dont know if there are other mobile inspectors - hopefully other people will add their opinion and some other people for you to try.

Good luck,

Josh

I think JZMachtech in King's Langley, Herts do inspections too but you'll have to call them and see what conditions they will do the inspection under.

~ Maxie

have a look here
http://911uk.com/template.php?page=84

I avoid (4) if you can because the Indy will have a conflict of interest.

I tried this route because it was convenient and was given a list of items that needed attention which totalled a few hundred quid. However when I took it to my Indy the final bill was more like a few thousand because they found lots of additional items.

I used Peter Morgan and he is probably the most well known name for Porsche PPI's. The benefit is that he can respond very quickly (useful if the car you want is in demand), and he is mobile so the seller doesnt have to do very much at all. Peter goes to the guy's house and spends 3hrs inspecting the car using his own ramps, tools etc. 2days later you get a detailed report. The downside is that he is expensive - c.£375 I think. The other big downside for me is that both of the reports he did for me contained no pricing information, nor did they make a comparison with other similar cars. eg he pointed out a problem with the aircon fans, but had no idea of the cost to replace/fix.

Your local Indy should be more than willing to price it up to give you an idea of the cost.

Bottom line - get an independent PPI

It' quite a simple process, go out find a car you can see yourself in and would be v happy with, test drive it, check what you can like general condition.

They bring their own stuff and take a few hours going over everything, they'll call you back same day to give you the highlevel feedback followed by a report via post/email. You can use their feedback to negotiate on price or to walk (as I did from one or two, too much wrong)

Job done

When considering who to use for a ppi make sure you know what you are getting for your money.

<moderator edit>

800 miles after my inspection my suspension failed the MOT and needed replacing. To be honest though, cars break. Thats what they do. A PPI is a good thing to do, but be very aware of its limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back