Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying a 997 - £35k budget

rezwan

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of buying a 997 Carerra S or a 997.2 Carerra. What year/mileage should I be looking at within a budget of £35k. Ideally I would like to buy a car with Porsche Warranty. If I do buy privately can I then purchase extended coverage from an OPC? The other question is, how much are 997 values likely to fall when the new 991 is realesed?

I am based in central London, are they any Porsche centres or independent dealers that you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Rezwan

Hi Rezwan, welcome to the forum :thumbs: Not sure you can buy a 997.2 with £35k but you have the pick of Carrera 997.1 cars up to about the 2006 model year.

If you buy privately, you will not be able to buy the Porsche warranty immediately until after 90 days of ownership so you may want to ask the seller to get the warranty first before you buy it as they are transferrable.

In Central London, there is OPC Mayfair; the only OPC I know about. I don't know of any indies in the same area. However scattered around greater London there are loads more OPCs and indies. London-wise, I would recommend OPC Porsche East London and OPC Porsche Byfleet. Indie-wise I would recommend JZM and PortiaCraft. Probably the best indie around is Stirlings but not based in London.

Hope that helps. Post up any exmaples you are looking at and we'll give you a opinion or three!

~ Maxie :)

Thanks for the warm welcome, Maxie. I realised after my post that the 997.2 would be out of my budget.

I will check the OPC East London and Byfleet out. I'll post a few photos of what I am after, once I've done a bit more research.

Welcome rezwan,

IMO for less than £35k you should be able to pick up any colour combo and spec 997S that you fancy on an 06 or 56 plate. There's loads about advertised at £32k-£35k from dealers so take your time and pick the one to suit you. The lower the mileage, the better the history and the better the colour and spec' the nearer to the £35k you'll need to pay.

You might be lucky enough to pick up an 07 with slightly higher mileage (60k+) or if bought privately.

Regarding future values remember that a 4 or 5 year old 911 is still depreciating quite badly, regardless of the 991 coming out. I'd reckon on a £35k, 5 year old car being worth £25k (retail) in 2 years time. After that the depreciation might slow down a bit.

Also bear in mind that if you buy from a dealer now for £35k the trade-in value in 2 years time will be more like £21k/£22k.

When 991s are actually delivered to customers there will probably be a bit of a glut of 2/3/4 year old 997s on the market so prices might fall more so it could be worth waiting 6 months :dont know:

997 Values

Hi

Not sure if this helps you, but I bought my 04 54 C2S 61k last May @ £29k and I'm selling this week for £24k - so 16 months and a £5k hit - which in comparison to other super cars is Ok IMHO !!

Oh selling with 68k on clock - approx £1000 in expenditure over the same period too.

No doubt it will be priced around £26.5k at a dealer.

Book value is £24850 @ 30k miles - but 'the book' does not have mileage adjustment tables for the 997.

:?:

T8996C4 said:
When 991s are actually delivered to customers there will probably be a bit of a glut of 2/3/4 year old 997s on the market so prices might fall more so it could be worth waiting 6 months :dont know:

Thanks for your input, I was thinking the same if I should wait a few months and see if current 997 owners trade up to the new 991 and more cars come on the second hand market.

Interesting to know about the depreciation as well. I plan to use it as a daily driver, although I hardly drive during weekdays, so mostly weekend and evening use.

I am in no rush to buy and am willing to wait for the car with the right specs/mileage for my budget.

I've seen a few 997's that have had their engines replaced at 35k/40k miles. Should I steer clear of these or is it quite sensible to buy one with a new engine as it comes with a Porsche warranty?

How much does it affect residual values?

An example:

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2632820.htm

Sorry about the comms issues.

Did you get the third brochure OK?

rezwan said:
I've seen a few 997's that have had their engines replaced at 35k/40k miles. Should I steer clear of these or is it quite sensible to buy one with a new engine as it comes with a Porsche warranty?

How much does it affect residual values?

Some people will stay clear of cars that have had an engine change as they perceive that it may either be 'a bad car' or that it's had a hard life.

Residuals shouldn't be affected but due to that perception the car will be deemed less desirable and may need to be priced cheaper to sell.

Enlightened people will realise that the car is more likely to have been one of the small % that suffered problems and will have effectively been given a new start when the engine was replaced. For those people it could prove to be a bargain.

The car that you linked to is well under your £35k budget for two reasons that have nothing to do with the engine change. ie. (1) It's not an 'S' and (2) it's a year older than what you could get for your money.

Just in case you're not aware. The 'S' car is a 3.8 rather than a 3.6 and the 'S' referred to in many adverts for Tiptronic cars refers to the type of gearbox rather than the car itself being an 'S'. You can of course get a 997S Tiptronic S but it's the first S that makes it the superior car.

thanks for your input T8996C4. I did noticed that I posted for a C2 and not an C2S.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this car:

http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-997-C2S-for-sale--246.html

I'm heading over to JZM Porsche tomorrow to have a look at a couple of cars . There's another one there which has had its engined replaced.

http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-997-C2S-for-sale--183.html

This is an earlier car, 2004, and well below my budget. The new engine has 11,500 miles on the clock. Is this worth looking into? Or should I look at 06 early 07 cars?

Thanks!

I would steer clear of re-engined vehicle for exactly this reason:

T8996C4 said:
Enlightened people will realise that the car is more likely to have been one of the small % that suffered problems and will have effectively been given a new start when the engine was replaced. For those people it could prove to be a bargain.

... until you come to sell.

Then you need another "enlightened" person, and sadly that has just decimated your possible market.

Think selling used cars is difficult now, wait until the car has no engine warranty left.

The car is seen as imperfect because such a large modification was made outside of the factory.

I am not here to debate that definition, simply to point out the possibility that people will see it that way and convincing me or anyone else on this thread today won't change the preconceptions of the prospective buyers picking up Autotrader or surfing PistonHeads in three years time.

rezwan said:
thanks for your input T8996C4. I did noticed that I posted for a C2 and not an C2S.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this car:

http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-997-C2S-for-sale--246.html

I'm heading over to JZM Porsche tomorrow to have a look at a couple of cars . There's another one there which has had its engined replaced.

http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-997-C2S-for-sale--183.html

This is an earlier car, 2004, and well below my budget. The new engine has 11,500 miles on the clock. Is this worth looking into? Or should I look at 06 early 07 cars?

Thanks!

JZM have a great reputation so buying from them should not be an issue.

Beware of getting caught up in the excitement of buying a car and letting your heart rule your head. :judge:

In my opinion the first car is expensive. OK, it's got low mileage but it's still a lot of money for it's age. It's all down to personal choice but I'd rather have a 1/1.5 year newer car with a few more miles on it for the same money.

The second car is, as you say, well below your budget and looks an awful lot of car for that money. The age is obviously the main reason for that BUT a lot of people will also be put off by that interior colour.

Good luck :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back