Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Collected my 997.1 GT3 today!

So, I just got back from a 'spontaneous' 1500 mile road trip to Europe! First time I've ever used the channel tunnel, and glad to say it most definitely won't be the last!

I covered 4 countries in 4 days (not including the UK), and the route was Calais to Bruges, then down to Augsburg to see a mate, then up to Luxembourg then back to Calais and then home to London. 

The autobahns were great, in fact the majority of the motorways on the trip were brilliant, really made the M20 on the journey home feel like a thrown together piece of crap from a developing country. I didn't manage to get time to do much A/B road driving on the trip, as I was generally in too much of a rush to get from A to B, but the roads I did sample around Germany and Luxembourg were excellent - velvety smooth tarmac with sweeping bends. Oh, and often stunning scenery as well.

My next trip over will definitely involve more back roads, and i will be sure to check the 'Avoid Motorway' option on the satnav. Speaking of which, the satnav was frikkin awesome, it guided me without error around the 4 different countries. This was the first time I had ever taken a car abroad and driven on the wrong side, and I found the satnav gave me more confidence. Although I did also write "KEEP RIGHT" on a piece of paper in big letters, and wedge it under the sports chrono egg timer to help me to avoid doing anything stupid. 

The GT3 performed faultlessly and was an amazing machine on the trip. The only thing that caused a bit of alarm was when I stopped off to top up the tank one time. It was around half-full but thought I would fill up as there was a petrol station coming up ahead (I was paranoid about running out of fuel on the trip for some reason). The pump clicked to tell me the tank was full, so I placed the nozzle back on the pump. I turned round and petrol was flowing out of the fuel tank. I thought thats very strange (... actually... no, it was more like WHAT THE FFFAACKK?!?) and started stuffing tissue in to stop the flow. But then every time I removed the tissues it carried on flowing out, there must have been air trapped in the system or something. I must say that the European Porsche Assist office were next to useless and could offer no advice as the 'technical team' office was closed (???). They suggested they could send someone out, but i didn't fancy waiting an hour. In the end I just replaced the cap as petrol was still seeping out and thought I'd just hope for the best. I paid for the fuel (even though most had probably fallen out...), got back in the car, turned the key and.... Everything was fine. No issues at all. Hopefully that won't happen again, I've filled up since then and no issues. 

Speaking of fuel, I haven't added up the receipts, but I think I spent around £250ish on fuel for the entire trip. Luxembourg petrol prices were dirt cheap, make sure your tank is empty if you ever drive over - 95 was about €1.25 and 98 was around €1.30 / litre I averaged 28.5mpg, which was mainly free flowing motorway driving split between slow cruises around 70-80mph and long stretches of blitzing it around 150/160mph. Highest I managed was just over 175, it was difficult to get above that as there was a fair amount of traffic over the weekend. Plus I only did those speeds when there were only a few other cars around. The handling was very lively at those sorts of speeds as one would expect! Still quite secure though, I wouldn't have gone that fast had I not felt comfortable with it all. 

There were quite a few tunnels which meant I had to drop a few gears to hear the engine scream, I'm sure that probably used a fair bit of fuel. How anyone can own a car like this and not burn fuel for the hell of it, I'll never know, especially with a car that sounds this good. A couple of weeks back I unplugged the exhaust valves, and it sounded good on the trip. It was quite boomy at around 2,500rpm, which sometimes got a little tiring, but the trick is to avoid that band in the rev range (obviously). Just drive faster...!?

I had the car checked out by an OPC the morning I left, to check if there were any issues that needed sorting prior to doing so. I'm very glad I did this. Firstly, the check revealed that the engine needed 2.5 litres of oil, but secondly and more importantly, I had a nail embedded in one of my rear tyres. So I shelled out £800 for 2 new rear tyres... I prefer not to think about the possibilities had I not booked the car in for that health check...

First thing on my to do list next weekend is to give the car a good scrub. I have never seen so many dead bugs splattered over the front of a car before. I had to make a couple of stops on the autobahns purely just to scrape bug death-stains from the windscreen. 

I did briefly think today about the effect of the mileage on the car's value, but then I remembered why I bought it in the first place, which was to drive it!

Nice write-up Roro :thumbs: You're slowly tempting me to become a GT3 owner next time around...... Pity you couldn't furnish us with a few pics of your Euro trip - it sounds epic. Re the wheels - what about black with the natural silver showing along the rim? Chris at Exel wheels should be able to sort something out for you.

~ Maxie

Cheers Maxie. The GT3 is a great car, I'm yet to drive a Gen 2 GT3, but the mind boggles as to how exactly that car could be better. And I don't want to test drive a Gen 2 just yet. I've only had this car a few months and I know if I test drive a Gen 2 I'll probably just try and trade up straight away! I want to give myself a chance to enjoy this car more.

Oh before I forget, I did take some pics, will upload them tonight.

A couple of times I thought the level of noise in the car was a bit tiring, but to be honest I don't think it was really that much louder than my old C2S, in terms of road / tyre noise. The acceleration and precision of the steering made this an exciting trip, and the fact everything was louder and more 'alive' I think kept me on my toes. Driving at speed was definitely an exciting experience in the GT3, more exciting than my old C2S (not that I ever did the same high speeds in that car though...). I think you're less likely to doze off on motorway driving in a GT3 than in say a Cayenne or other big car which think is a very good thing!

As for the wheels, I never did do anything with them! I was in touch with Chris a month ago or so but am yet to decide what to do. I think black wheels (with no silver lip) is probably what I'll go for - I've seen a couple of black on black GT3's and I think they look great!

Glad you're enjoying the car...they give you the buzz don't they !!!! :grin:

They sure do! :D

Some pics below!

Attachments

• img_0998_431.jpg
    img_0998_431.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 14,586
  • img_1003_593.jpg
    img_1003_593.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 14,586
  • img_1015_100.jpg
    img_1015_100.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 14,586
  • img_1020_151.jpg
    img_1020_151.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 14,586
  • img_1046_646.jpg
    img_1046_646.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 14,586
  • img_1051_172.jpg
    img_1051_172.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 14,586
  • img_1052_180.jpg
    img_1052_180.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 14,586
Wow.

Just realised that I bought my GT3 exactly 1 year ago to the day

:birthday:

It's hard to believe that over the last 12 months I have covered over 7,000 miles and 5 countries (6 if you include Wales :) )

During this time I have got to know the car better than any other car I have ever owned.

I've grown attached to the car, I feel that it is connected to me on a different level. I think this goes for all 911 owners generally, but I think once you have a GT3 the bond is stronger and it's very difficult to move over to any other 911, let alone a different make and model.

The GT3 is a very charismatic car, it has a presence that not many other cars can match. It's not 'showy' like a Lambo or a Ferrari, but is more meaningful than an R8 or GTR. It's the sweet spot in my view.

The steering is delicate and precise, almost razor sharp. The acceleration is controlled but outrageous, and the sound that engine makes in the upper registers is awe inspiring and sends a tingle down the spine. It's addictive.

It's a very special car and I hope that the next generation of GT3's is not diluted as much as many fear what with the onslaught of PDK and the demise of the GT1 block.

... How time flies...

8)

I loved reading the running reports. If my budget can stretch a bit, I may go for a similar 997.1
I was close to making a deal for a 996 mk1 CS but at 63 a more "calm" machine maybe more in line with my (young) age :mrgreen:

Cheers :) Yes I've heard that the 996 GT3 is more raw and excitable than the 997 GT3, but I've never driven one myself. I imagine that a bit more noise and livelier handling would be fun in the short term, but might end up doing my head in. The intention when buying this car was always to use for roadtrips / touring, so I'm grateful for the extra refinement over the 996 8)

Roro said:
Wow.

It's hard to believe that over the last 12 months I have covered over 7,000 miles and 5 countries (6 if you include Wales :) )

8)

So, you haven't driven it much, then?

I bought my 996.2 C4 six months ago, have done over 7,000 miles and haven't left the East Midlands yet. :puh:

Tinker said:
Roro said:
Wow.

8)

So, you haven't driven it much, then?

I bought my 996.2 C4 six months ago, have done over 7,000 miles and haven't left the East Midlands yet. :puh:

I see, so you've just been going around in circles - are you scared that you'll fall off the edge? :D

Congrat's Roro,glad your still enjoying your car :thumb:

Had mine(not a gt3) just over 12 month's and still enjoying it,i'v done 6500 miles just weekend driving and i havn't even left the country.I might take it to the Isle of man this year though,will see.

Rob.

Oh gawd, just realised I have only done 5k miles in 20 months - pathetic!

I have done more on my Ducati - 10k in 24 months :-(

Not really worth taking the depreciation hit on really is it, but at least its in the garage if I want it I suppose?

nsm3 said:
Oh gawd, just realised I have only done 5k miles in 20 months - pathetic!

I have done more on my Ducati - 10k in 24 months :-(

Not really worth taking the depreciation hit on really is it, but at least its in the garage if I want it I suppose?

It's not the quantity, it's the quality that matters :wink:

Congrats on the anniversary Roro! I've just re-read this whole thread and it very much sounds like you've bonded to the car as you say. It can only be a matter of time before you perhaps try the RS version.....

~ Maxie :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back