Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 to 996/997

I am lucky enough to have a 997 C4S, a 993 C2 and a Cayenne S (or maybe I'm sick?!?).

When I drive the 997 I marvel at the efficiency. It is more like a spaceship than a car.
When I drive the 993 I marvel at the smell of the interior, the traditional dials and the engine noise.

The 993 is more fun to drive, the 997 is more of a GT car IMO.

I get more looks and comments in my 993.

If I could only have one car it'd have to be the 997.

I don't use my car for work that much, basically walking to office or train to London but if I did then I'd just get something that would be nice to get into but also accepting that it would go in 3/4 years time.

So my cars are predominantly for leisure, taking kids to school, stuff like that, they are daily drivers but only to the gym, tennis, cricket etc. and sometimes I think it's time to change and look around at what's out there but can't really see the step change would actually give me anything more. My reasons for changing a car would be unreliability, safer, features I would like that the old car hasn't got, seeing a car thinking, I'd like one of those, that kind of stuff. But actually I drive around in my 993, enjoy getting into it every day, enjoy thinking about what I might do to it next knowing that it's too old for any warranties. I often wish I'd driven myself when I go with friends somewhere in their BMW, Lexus, Mercedes etc. It's still quicker than most things although straight line may not be as quick as some but outwits most around corners, so why change when at some stage some energy rule will force a change one day anyway.

Anyway off to the gym now to add another 2 miles to it...

Having been fortunate to drive a good number of 997's, inc Turbo, GT3 and a handful of 996 (C4S, Turbo), a few 993 and 2 years in 3.2 Carrera I can honestly say in terms looks, performance, build quality and sense of occasion the 993 and 3.2 are the best.

The 997 is very efficient and pretty, the 996 is a good car, but feels dated with dubious build quality but the REAL Porsches are the last of the air cooled. When you shut the door, there is no other sound like it, when you are close to the rev limiter, there is no other sound like it, and when you look at those beautiful rear ends..........WOW.

Every day they would lose some of their magic, I would prefer to drive a Volvo 245 and keep the 993 then invest (or blow your brains) on a new Porsche. The new ones are for the masses, but the old are for the purist

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back