Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What REALLY breaks your IMS & contributes to bearing str

Status
Not open for further replies.
wizard993 said:
I have switched completely to the Total Porsche Approved Oil. Indications are that it keeps the 996/997.1 engine slightly cooler. I also use the GT2/turbo thermostat on the 997.1. It runs a shade cooler now. Each week/fortnight I scoop out front rad debris(next doors 7 year-old helps...errr well he often does it, as his small arms and fingers are ideal for getting to the rads. He is happy with a mars bar as his reward: thumb:

Budget(£350-£400) + VAT supplied and fitted for the thermo upgrade at any decent Indy(inc coolant).

What is the part number for the thermostat you got m8?

Is the one Hartech sell something different again?

wizard993,

What percentage of the total average annual spend do you believe is in per capita Mars bar expenses?

Philosophical question of the day:

Is the Porcshe IMS bearing seal as useful as a chocolate (of your choice) teapot?

Second philosophical question of the day:

If an IMS bearing falls over and no-one is listening, does it make a mess?

Third philosophical question of the day:

In Schrà¶dinger's Porsche, is the IMS bearing sealed or not sealed prior to Baz opening the box and killing a cat.

Gibbo205 said:
wizard993 said:
I have switched completely to the Total Porsche Approved Oil. Indications are that it keeps the 996/997.1 engine slightly cooler. I also use the GT2/turbo thermostat on the 997.1. It runs a shade cooler now. Each week/fortnight I scoop out front rad debris(next doors 7 year-old helps...errr well he often does it, as his small arms and fingers are ideal for getting to the rads. He is happy with a mars bar as his reward: thumb:

Budget(£350-£400) + VAT supplied and fitted for the thermo upgrade at any decent Indy(inc coolant).

What is the part number for the thermostat you got m8?

Is the one Hartech sell something different again?

Just give autofarm a call. They can deliver to you or directly to your chosen Indy. No idea what others sell(maybe the same one from the states) but quality spot on and fitted without fuss/trouble.

wizard993 said:
Just give autofarm a call. They can deliver to you or directly to your chosen Indy. No idea what others sell(maybe the same one from the states) but quality spot on and fitted without having an argument.

EFA

GT4 said:
wizard993,

What percentage of the total average annual spend do you believe is in per capita Mars bar expenses?

Circa 20/30 bars each year @65p each = £18/year (if I can catch him early enough, before he goes to the army cadets on a Saturday) lol

Is the Porcshe IMS bearing seal as useful as a chocolate (of your choice) teapot? Like some parts on 911's the mind boggles as to why they did/engineered that.

yes it will but usually the driver gets the death click and rumble before the whole lot/IMS/crank and 6+ litres of oil let go. Then, as if by magic the "I love ***tech tee-shirt" arrives in the post lol

wizard993 said:
GT4 said:
wizard993,

Circa 20/30 bars each year @65p each = £18/ayear (if I can catch him early enough, before he goes to the army cadets on a Saturday) lol

Is the Porcshe IMS bearing seal as useful as a chocolate (of your choice) teapot? Like some parts on 911's the mind boggles as to why they did/engineered that.

yes it will but usually the driver gets the death click and rumble before the whole lot/IMS/crank and 6+ litres of oil let go. Then, as if by magic the "I love ***tech tee-shirt" arrives in the post lol

What is this death click/rattle you all go on about?

My exhaust crackles/pops when cold, I assume its normal as Mike from S&C has used my car and commented on the nice crackle from cold. :)

It's when your piston coating starts to fail and the piston starts to munch away at the cylinder walls. By that time you should be :sad: starting to ££save up.

Exhaust crackles are the norm...enjoy :thumb:

The death click is a regular ticking sound(not to be confused with the normal value train noises).

Interesting thread.... Errr I think, but can we not get things in a little context here please..

Firstly what is the actual percentage of engines going pop in any manner over say the last 5-6 years and how does that compare to it's competitors?

And secondly, why be at all concerned by the service/ oil change intervals, if you follow the schedule, and have an extended warranty?

Over the past ten years, I've done highish mileages in 996/7's, and have never had any issues aside from a couple of RMS replacements (under warranty)..

I just found 5 minutes before going ome - I'll rush this as a result and therefore some spelling and typing werrors included FOC.

Interesting policy - when the title is answered but dissagrees you argue that the responses are not all about what you intended (even though they respond to the title) and you then change the title to suit your case - to make you right all along - good luck I have seen all this before.

You keep asking me to respond to your questions but never answer mine - clever again - go into politics.

Clever to post that a better quality bearing is needed when there is actually nothing wrong with the bearing.

To suggest that the bearing was designed or expected to last the life of the car and retain all its grease is utter madness and no engineer of any practical experience whatsoever would expect that outcome.

The seals are just thin little pieces of plastic designed to keep dirt out and grease in - for cool applications. To imagine that the hot thin oil being thrown at the seal at high velocity cannot start to penetrate it - and wash out the grease (after which the flow is insufficient to adequately lubricate the bearing and stop it overheating) is the comment of an academic not a practical experienced engineer IMHO.

I fail to comprehend why some people are so in love with a manufacturer they can see no wrong even when the evidence is clear. It seems the argument is - if Porsche did it or say so it must be right - then the very same people (when it suits them) argue they know better about something else.

Why did Porsche make so many revisions to the design and then eventually drop it if it was right in the first place.? Why do most of the failures occcur with cars that are still maintained by Porsche using the recomended oil?

Blind to reality comes to mind and never any answers as to how it is possible that removing the seal makes it work OK regardl;ess of the oil in use or the use the car is put to or how it is driven.

Time up.

Baz

We just supply the thermostat - if you are not capable of fitting it to the casting that doesn't need changing - you should not be changing it or the coolant or trying to bleed the system properly. This is why ours costs much less but it does the same job (although it is not the same thermostat).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back