Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera World Cup 2011 Nürburgring-Nordschleife

Harvey masters Nurburgring in Carrera Cup GB

Tim Harvey called on all his racing experience and wet weather prowess to win the Porsche Carrera Cup GB element of the Porsche Carrera World Cup race on the Nurburgring Nordschleife today (Saturday 25 June).

The race, over six laps of the toughest circuit in the world, ran in truly challenging conditions that caught out many drivers, but Harvey (Nationwide/Motorbase) drove a superbly measured race to win after working ahead of Stephen Jelley (Team Parker Racing). Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) was a tremendous fourth to win Pro-Am1, while Richard Denny (Parr Motorsport) drove the race of his life to win the Pro-Am2 category.

Steady rain before the start of the race left the 14-mile track very wet and slippery for the 98-car field contesting the biggest one-make Porsche race in history. The grid was split into three groups of 911 GT3 Cup cars for the rolling start, with race results determined on elapsed time and sitting in 98th place on the grid was Richard Plant (Team Parker Racing) after gearbox problems in qualifying.

The opening lap delivered many incidents and accidents and the drama claimed four of the five cars from Red Line Racing as James Sutton, Ben Hetherington, Ahmad Al Harthy and Keith Webster all crashed out. Meanwhile, Michael Meadows (SAS/Redline) lost his front splitter as he battled in the lower reaches of the first grid with Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing).

Starting near the front of the second grid proved beneficial to Jelley and Harvey who had a clearer track ahead of them and less spray as they quickly moved into the lead on race times. Harvey was content to sit behind Jelley over the first couple of laps as they explored the amount of grip available, but was then able to move ahead as the track became slightly less wet. After six truly demanding laps, Harvey was top of the Carrera Cup pack and 13th overall among the best 911 GT3 Cup racers in the world.

'That's the one you want to win," said an elated Harvey. 'This was the big one and it is a wonderful feeling. It was about being safe on the first lap because I'd never driven a racing lap here in the wet. The car from Motorbase was easy to drive and once I got past Stephen I was able to pull away. It's been a fantastic event and one of the best race meetings I can remember."

Jelley chased hard, but was reeled in and passed on the final lap by Butcher. However, a 30s time penalty for a yellow flag infringement later cost Butcher two places and he ended the race fourth and first in Pro-Am1. 'There were so many unknowns," said Jelley of the opening laps. 'But it was very challenging and a great event. That's probably the best race I've ever done."

With Butcher's penalty, Sam Tordoff (Team Parker Racing) completed the overall podium after a tremendous drive in the toughest of conditions. 'The first aim was to get to the finish," said Tordoff. 'This is the best track in the world in the dry and the scariest in the wet, and you do have to respect it."

For the second race running, Butcher excelled in wet and slippery conditions and was unfortunate to drop from second to fourth with his time penalty. 'I love the way the car is in the wet and I don't think I could have asked for much more. I love this track and I just enjoyed the whole thing." Taking fifth overall and second in Pro-Am1 was Derek Pierce (Dextra/JD Pierce by Parker) after another starring performance. "There's not even a scratch on the car," he said. 'That was the toughest race I've ever had."

Meadows and Gelzinis battled home for sixth and seventh, both losing out in the early laps by running in the chaos and spray of the first pack. Having started 98th and dead last, Plant drove a stunning race to battle through to 35th overall and eighth in the Carrera Cup GB and earn the 'driver of the weekend' award. Alex Martin (Dextra/JD Pierce by Parker) had an excellent run to ninth place to ensure all five Team Parker Racing cars in the race reached the finish. That achievement earned the squad the 'team of the weekend' award.

With George Brewster (Celtic Speed) out at the first corner after a knock from another car, Denny clinched his first Pro-Am2 category win. 'It was unbelievable; crazy and amazing," said Denny. 'There was almost zero visibility at the start. That's the toughest race I've done by a long way!"

Attachments

• harveyworldcup_474.jpg
    harveyworldcup_474.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 26,038
  • worldcup_567.pdf
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,440
In the most spectacular race of the current season René RAst wins the Porsche Carrera World Cup at the legendary Nürburgring-Nordschleife. In a thrilling fight against his team mate Norbert Siedler, the German finally crossed the finish line first. Guest starter Lance David Arnold became third in fron of Sean Edwards, who leads the both now, the Supercup as well as the German Carrera Cup.

Good start in all three groups

Pole-Setter Norbert Siedler won the start of the Porsche Carrera World Cup. The Austrian turned as the leader into the first corner ahead of his team mate René Rast. Further back Kuba Giermaziak dropped back behind Nick Tandy, who immediately closed up the gap to the two leaders.

Despite the huge number of starters no accidents happened in all three groups in the initial phase of the race. All 97 starters made it through the first corners without remarkable incidents, only some of them spun. One of the victims who spun was the American guest starter Melanie Snow, who was turned around by another opponent.

The battle for the victory

Team boss Walter Lechner surely will keep June, 25th 2011 in his mind for ever. It is the day at which two of his drivers won the biggest Porsche makes cups race of the world. Right from the start René Rast and Norbert Siedler set the pace of a thrilling race.

The only driver who could keep the pace and fight for the top with the Lechner-boys was Nick Tandy. However, at one of his attempts to pass Siedler, he lost his car at the quick Aremberg passage, and crashed into the barriers. Siedler, who had to back off for a moment immediately managed to close the gap to René Rast again.

Two became three

Within the last two laps it was not only a fight between two drivers. The former Porsche-Junior Lance David Arnold, who participated in the race as a guest starter, with really quick lap times closed the gap to the leaders, but at least only endangered Siedlers second rank. Siedler, who was under strong pressure of Arnold almost lost his car at one attack of the German. The Austrian had to go over the gras, almost hit the barriers, but managed to get back on the track again.

However, Arnold could not take profit off the mistake and finally had to settle with third rank, while Rast and Siedler could clinch a double-victory for the Lechner Team. It was a moving moment for team boss Walter Lechner. 'When the cars crossed the finish line it was an emotional moment for the team. I am very thankful to René Rast, Norbert Siedler and my complete crew", the Austrian tried to hide his tears.

Final Station – Crash Barriers

In the second lap the Aremberg curve became a big parking lot for some of the favourites drivers. At first it was Nick Tandy who crashed. The Brit was just out of his car, when also Patrick Huisman and Stefan Rosina ended up in the gravel. Both had better luck than the Brit. They could get out and managed to continue with the race.

Tandy, who until his crash could set the Lechner drivers under pressure, lost not only his chances for another podium finish, but a lot more: The Brit lost his lead in the driver standings of both, the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup as well as the Porsche Carrera Cup to his compatriot Sean Edwards. In the Supercup Tandy even drops back to third position behind Edwards and Rast.

The new championship leader – Sean Edwards

The Englishman, who is regarded to be one of the best drivers in the rain, felt confident with the wet conditions and also belonged to the quickest on the track. However, in the first laps he could keep pace with the top, but later he had to let them go. 'A pity, it would have been great, to finish on the podium, but I did my best", says the Brit. 'The first laps were difficult, because I couldn't see anything because of the spray. Later, Arnold was quicker than me and I had to let him pass. After Nick (Tandy) was out of the race, I concentrated on finishing fourth to take over the lead in both championships. An almost perfect day for me and the tolimit team."

A great performance was also delivered by Supercup Rookie Kevin Estre. Started 13th, the Frenchman finally crossed the finish line sixth, having reason to rejoice. 'It was unbelievable. At the beginning I couldn't see a lot, then I slid some times and now I am really happy that I finished the race with such a good result."

Behind the Frenchman twofold Supercup champion Jeroen Bleekemolen crossed the line on seventh position, followed by Patrick Huisman and Stefan Rosina, who were in the gravel at the beginning. 'After the incident I thought the race would be over for me, now I am really happy about the good result", reported Stefan Rosina.

Attachments

• wc1_191.jpg
    wc1_191.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 26,022
  • wc2_124.jpg
    wc2_124.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 26,022
  • wc3_896.jpg
    wc3_896.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 26,022
  • wc4_617.jpg
    wc4_617.jpg