Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windscreen scuttle corner repair thread.

Wow Lee, you truly have balls of steel and they probably aren't rusty either.

Mine was very similar around the rear screen, with the rubber and sealant hiding a nightmare beneath.

993s are at the age where it might be sensible to have the front and rear screens out as a precaution to check, whether there's visible rust or not.

If I was in the market to buy another one, I'd want to know it's been looked at already (ideally with photographic evidence), to be on the safe side.

Same goes for the chassis rails......

cyruspower said:
Wow Lee, you truly have balls of steel and they probably aren't rusty either.

Mine was very similar around the rear screen, with the rubber and sealant hiding a nightmare beneath.

993s are at the age where it might be sensible to have the front and rear screens out as a precaution to check, whether there's visible rust or not.

If I was in the market to buy another one, I'd want to know it's been looked at already (ideally with photographic evidence), to be on the safe side.

Same goes for the chassis rails......

Absolutely. The windscreen guy had the screen out in just a few minutes although the removal tool does leave some scratches inside the aperture. They are used to this and have a special quick drying black primer they use to protect the aperture before refitting.

I'm interested in a few C4S's and at those prices I would be examining the screen areas very closely.

Lee

Just finished about two hours removing the ptfe tape.

Tip: be very careful when removing the tape and try and do it in one go (or stages). There were some sections on the drivers A pillar which left a small strip about 2mm wide and about 10cm long - this last bit took me literally an hour to remove. It's heatproof, solvent proof, scrape proof (with a soft implement). I ended up very carefully using a scraper on it until I could feel the smoothness of the paint underneath - I didn't scratch the paint at all.

Then run round where the tape was with some G3 cutting polish and it's like new from corner to corner all around the top of the frame.

Once I've finished the bottom and corners I'll put new tape all around - it's only about 8mm wide and just sits right on the rounded corner of the windscreen pressing so you could easily fit it with the screen in.

Lee

What I find scariest about this is just how bad the rust can be with barely any sign externally. If I were buying a car now I'd be very wary of one which hadn't been checked fairly recently...

Some of you saw my 4S at Waddesdon and will have seen that the paint looked pretty good around the screen. There was just what looked to be the beginnings of bubbling. Well, it's been off at OPC Byfleet having lots and lots done, including a new front screen and some attention to the rust. I will post pictures when I am near a proper computer, but suffice to say when the screen came out it was pretty ugly. After some deliberation I bit the bullet and chose rather than a patch up to go for a new front scuttle panel. I want to start from scratch and will be keeping a VERY close eye on moisture under the screen...

Lee

Great post. Scary stuff indeed. :eek: Mine has some small bubbling around the screen, and now I dread of what may (almost surely) lies beneath. Will I be able to wait until the end of the summer before getting this looked at? :dont know:

Thanks again for a great thread, even if part of me wishes I hadn't! :thumb:

Don't suppose you fancy popping around to do mine?? :thumb:

DSCN5645.jpg

DSCN5639.jpg

samba-lee said:
Ghengis said:
Don't suppose you fancy popping around to do mine?? :thumb:

Not really ;)

Yours looks as if it's been done before ? or did they not galvanise 964s ?

Lee

It was done by the previous owner but i'm guessing not to a very high standard :frustrated: . Anyway with no screen in it's getting done again - if I can find someone to do it.

Update:

Rust treated and proofed the bare metal with Brunox Epoxy - weird stuff, as you brush it on you can see the steel change colour like it is converting any oxidation as you brush.

Ordered new outer seal: 99354192500, £26.82 and the special teflon tape: 99999999968001 (weird long part number) @ £36.79 for a big roll so I will be selling windscreen replacement lengths :)

Off to flat and prime the section now, in prep for the colour base coat.

Lee

Amazing! Lee, you have done a fantastic job :worship: I only wish I had those skills!

Just one quick question - why not go for Por-15 around the aperture as that in theory should protect it forever even if water does pool. I have still to get to the bottom of why POR-15 doesn't like my car. I don't think it was my application method as I tried a test on some metal stock and it hasn't lifted or bubbled at all. I even applied the second coat to different sections after varying amounts of time (30 mins, 1 hours, 2 hour, 5 hours, overnight) but none of them reacted. Dunno what's special about the 993's metalwork :dont know:

Good work

Stu

sram said:
I have still to get to the bottom of why POR-15 doesn't like my car. I don't think it was my application method as I tried a test on some metal stock and it hasn't lifted or bubbled at all. I even applied the second coat to different sections after varying amounts of time (30 mins, 1 hours, 2 hour, 5 hours, overnight) but none of them reacted. Dunno what's special about the 993's metalwork :dont know:

The fact that it is zinc-coated? :dont know:

That's what I thought at first but others have used POR-15 with no issues and the manufacturers say that zinc coated steel is fine so long as their prep product is used. Who knows. :dont know:

I didn't really think about using Por - no reason for not using it other than when searching through posts it seems windscreen fitters use an epoxy based rust converter so I chose to do the same.

Lee

samba lee said:
the removal tool does leave some scratches inside the aperture. They are used to this and have a special quick drying black primer they use to protect the aperture before refitting.

Lee

There are better ways to remove a windscreen successfully, and without damage to the car, or its paintwork.

The black primer is misused widely by most.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back