Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 2012

911SPS

Looking to sell my 996C4S and trade up to a 997 (possibly Turbo), will I gain anything financially on waiting until next year when the new model is released? Guess the residuals of both will be hit?

:sad:

If you had a 997 the answer would be simpler:

A standard 997 Carrera will be hit twice as hard on 991 launch (assuming it's not a dog).

Firstly, launch will be unlikely to include Turbo or GT models, so 997 versions will remain "current" for longer and not be subject to new 991 streams initially and hence no immediate like-for-like trade-ins.

Secondly, the Turbo and GT will always retain their relative value better. The longer you hold a "cooking" 997, the larger the percentage residual value differnce for the equivalent age Turbo or GT.

However, although it's difficult to say how much lower a 996 C4S can realistically go, the above like-for-like Carrera 997 trade-ins will swamp the market and force pretty much all 996 down too.

911SPS said:
Looking to sell my 996C4S and trade up to a 997 (possibly Turbo), will I gain anything financially on waiting until next year when the new model is released? Guess the residuals of both will be hit?

In your situation I'd resist going for a 'cooking' 997 now unless the age/mileage/condition of your C4S means you really need to change to keep you in a 911.

You might still get a decent price for your C4S but any ordinary 997 is on a steep depreciation curve which will only get worse when the 991 comes out. The 'cost to change' probably won't be much different if you wait until next year but the cost of the 997 will be less so you'd be less hit when selling that.

As GT4 has already said, a 997 Turbo would be a whole different proposition. Firstly you'd be getting a whole different car not just a newer version of your current one. Secondly, residuals will surely be better. The downside of course is how much more a similar age/mileage/condition Turbo costs to get into in the first place.

Good luck in your deliberations. :thumb:

T8996C4 said:
911SPS said:

In your situation I'd resist going for a 'cooking' 997 now unless the age/mileage/condition of your C4S means you really need to change to keep you in a 911.

You might still get a decent price for your C4S but any ordinary 997 is on a steep depreciation curve which will only get worse when the 991 comes out. The 'cost to change' probably won't be much different if you wait until next year but the cost of the 997 will be less so you'd be less hit when selling that.

As GT4 has already said, a 997 Turbo would be a whole different proposition. Firstly you'd be getting a whole different car not just a newer version of your current one. Secondly, residuals will surely be better. The downside of course is how much more a similar age/mileage/condition Turbo costs to get into in the first place.

Good luck in your deliberations. :thumb:

Thanks for your thoughts, sorry if I'm being slow but what do you mean by a 'cooking' 997? :?

Hear what you are saying about the Turbo - and the bottom line is the car should be all about the driving/fun factor right? if not I can always use my girlfriends Fiesta

:lol:

'Cooking' = not a GT or Turbo

It's a term typically used on motor forums to describe 'basic'.

It's always sad to think of any 911 as basic but if it's 'only' got the entry level engine the term is sadly correct.

T8996C4 said:
'Cooking' = not a GT or Turbo

It's a term typically used on motor forums to describe 'basic'.

It's always sad to think of any 911 as basic but if it's 'only' got the entry level engine the term is sadly correct.

Got ya - thanks.

Best I go get a Turbo then?!

:thumb:

From the analogues: "cooking sherry" or "cooking chocolate".

Ie the basic version (or the one you are happy to give the mother-in-law, whilst keeping the best back for a special occasion).

In this case, Cooking = Carrera.

GT4 said:
From the analogues: "cooking sherry" or "cooking chocolate".

Ie the basic version (or the one you are happy to give the mother-in-law, whilst keeping the best back for a special occasion).

In this case, Cooking = Carrera.

ahhhhhh......all becomes clear.

so popular opinion would have it that the only 'non' cooking 911's are GTs and Turbos?

Correct, but do you have another model in mind?

Porsche seem to have launched more "Special Editions" than McDonalds have had movie tie-ins at the moment.

Any distinction has to be a true "Limited Edition" if you are looking at residuals or even appreciation.

So I guess the Sport Classis and her sister Speedster, whilst not a GT or Turbo (and certainly without the kudos of the GT1 block engine derivation), are the only models that spring to mind that may exist outside those rules (although the jury is still out - come back in 10 years).

The GTS has almost single handedly destroyed the value of late C2S coupe and cabs.

GT4 said:
Correct, but do you have another model in mind?

No but I was hoping we could make a special exception for my C4S?!
:floor:

Porsche seem to have launched more "Special Editions" than McDonalds have had movie tie-ins at the moment.

Any distinction has to be a true "Limited Edition" if you are looking at residuals or even appreciation.

So I guess the Sport Classis and her sister Speedster, whilst not a GT or Turbo (and certainly without the kudos of the GT1 block engine derivation), are the only models that spring to mind that may exist outside those rules (although the jury is still out - come back in 10 years).

The GTS has almost single handedly destroyed the value of late C2S coupe and cabs.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: I want the truth!
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: [shouts] You can't handle the truth!

GT4 said:
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: I want the truth!
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: [shouts] You can't handle the truth!

:floor:

Good film.

Bet Jack Nicholson has got a limited edish 911.

:worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back