Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Castle Combe, Wiltshire

CASTLE COMBE, Wiltshire

• 5 Stars out of 5 Stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 Stars out of 5 Stars

• 3 Stars out of 5 Stars

• 2 Stars out of 5 Stars

• 1 Stars out of 5 Stars

• Total voters

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
Please review this Trackday Circuit on this thread........

Castle Combe Circuit,
Castle Combe,
Chippenham,
Wiltshire,
SN14 7EY

http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/

Castle_Combe.gif

User Review-1 said:
Date : December 2005
Car : Porsche 993
Track Day ability : Beginner

There are few interesting corners with the more technical corners at "quarry & tower" providing more of a challenge and the odd cross wind ! but otherwise the run through folly is just too bumpy especially for 911's !

The rest of the circuit does not really do very much, with closeness of the barriers and lack of run-off always being in the mind. The 2 medium speed chicanes although needed, kind of spoil the flow of the circuit. Otherwise this is a high speed circuit which is very heavy on the brakes, so care is needed to cool down properly.

However this is a recommended circuit as it is a cost effective track day compared to many other venues.

Track surface is good apart from the awful bumps at folly with adequate facilities and a classic feel to it (i.e. some of the building do look old!), but it does have a strict noise level of 99db, so noisy cars watch out. Location is easy to get to from the Motorways, although local (<1 mile) fuel & air facilities are limited.

User Review-2 said:
Another track I have done on several occasions, but I only really enjoyed after passengering in September 05.

I was showed a better line throught Quarry, which I had been struggling with. Taking a middle(ish) line & not worrying about tucking in to the apex lets you carry much more speed.

Camp is the most important corner to get right, but the bumps make it difficult to get the power down.

Where to brake for Avon rise is an important decision. If your new to the circuit you'd be best off getting the braking all done before the crest, but as confidence grows you can dab before & then again afterwards, moving towards doing all of the braking after the crest. This does make things a bit frantic through as you need to change down too, & don't have much time before the entry into Quarry.

User Review-3 said:
I like it for trackdays, as it tends to be cheap, is short enough to get to grips with quite quickly, has pretty good facilities compared to some of the smaller circuits, and is challenging - Circuit Driver give you two lines through Quarry, which goes to show how tricky the line can be through there.

However, it can bite as has been said - run off isn't good in places. Quite exhilarating as you go through Hammer Down into Tower, or when you go through Avon Rise into Quarry. Just enough excitement to keep boredom at bay, and just enough excitement to frighten you.

User Review-4 said:
Tends to keep you focused as there isnt much room if you make a mistake. However, this also means you rarely really push it either. Seen a fair few people in the barriers here at Quarry, Tower and Camp corners.

User Review-5 said:
Worth a visit to take on the challenge of Quarry corner. The climb up Avon Rise, braking into the blind left-right switch into Quarry takes a big hairy pair between your legs to do fast. Most bottle it and brake too early, while others get over-confident, come over the top too fast and find themselves in a bit of a pickle.

Being a blind entry to the corner at the top of the rise, novices often get the line in wrong too. I know, as I did it the first time I drove the circuit as a marshal on my way to my post - thought I was going fairly slow, but got it all wrong and had a big handful of understeer on as I came through Quarry Out, heading towards the grass (only time I've been glad of traction control!).

Nice circuit with nice people, comparitively cheap for track days, and race school offers excellent value.

the review was great. actually the race track kinda simple to see but if you're the one who will be there and try the challenge you will experience how difficult it is.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back