Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996: Replacing Plug Tubes

steveoz

I replaced the second bank on the nearside yesterday, it's not a bad job to be honest, much easier than I expected.

The bank closest to the rear wheel will be by far the easiest, whilst the middle is a little harder, and the farthest bank harder still due to reducing space.

First I put the car up on axle stands and removed the rear wheel, with the wheel removed, you can see the heat shield over the coil packs. I removed the two 10mm bolts with a small wrench - there is just enough room to place a ratchet between the manifold and head:

heatshield.jpg

I removed the heat shield and then this exposed the coil packs, you can see the centre plug tube leaking from behind the coil pack here:

plugtube1.jpg

I unclipped the block on the coil pack, then I undid two hex bolts with an allen key which was easy enough to do at the bottom, but a little more fiddly for the top one, it's easy to do, but takes up a bit more time as you can only turn the bolt around a third a turn before repositioning the allen key. The below shows the coil pack removed and leaky plug tube:

plugtube2.jpg

Pull the leaky tube outwards, I used a glove with a rubber grip on, and inserted two fingers trying to force them open in the tube and pulling outward:

plugtube3.jpg

Clean the oil out from near the plug:

plugtube4.jpg

Old vs new, old on the left new on the right, the new seal is not as flat as the old one, and it fits much tighter on the new plug tube. I opted to replace the whole tube and both seals while I was there, for the little cost there really was no point in just replacing the seals:

plugtube8.jpg

I then greased the seals as per the OPC's tech recommendations and inserted the new tube, it pushed in much tighter than the old one:

plugtube9.jpg

I then replaced the coil pack and reconnected:

plugtube10.jpg

Finally I replaced the heat shield and the wheel etc.

From start to finish, this took aprox 45 mins. Further replacements speed up as you get use to it. A hint on replacing the plug tubes toward the rear of the car, if you raise he car slightly you can work from behind the manifold to get to it.

Thanks,

Steve

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back