Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996: Rear Window Seal Fix

steveoz

Splitting this from other post as per Richard's advice :)

The rear window seal fits fairly loosely on the early 996's I am led to believe. There is a TB from Porsche regarding this; the trick is to insert two lengths of Foam rubber cord under the seal.

The cord is only a few pounds from an OPC.

First, I lifted the window seal up from the corner, all along the bottom and side, I then cleaned out any gunk and moisture.

After this, I placed the seal back down and pressed down firmly all around. Then, lifting the bottom corner of the seal, I positioned one end of the foam cord under the seal:

seal1.jpg

I then inserted a plastic spatula / card between the seal and the tailgate:

seal2.jpg

This gave me an easy way to flex the window seal to create a margin to push the foam rubber cord in with another card without damaging anything:

seal3.jpg

I continued to work my way around the seal:

seal4.jpg

When the cord was fully inserted, I cut, and then repeated the process to layer two cords on top of each other to fully fill the gap as per the technical bulletin. Once that was completed, I gently went along the seal 'flicking' it upward to make sure that it was all in the right position and flush with the tailgate:

seal5.jpg

All done, much more solid, and sealed much better:

seal6.jpg

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,
I think I'll need the foam rubber. Have a buzz from the rear screen that stops with hand pressure. Went to local OPC to ask for the foam rubber and got a completely blank look. Didn't know what I was talking about. Suggested changing the rear seal itself?? I've tried google search but to no avail. Anyone know where else I could get one??

ksr said:
Hi Steve,
I think I'll need the foam rubber. Have a buzz from the rear screen that stops with hand pressure. Went to local OPC to ask for the foam rubber and got a completely blank look. Didn't know what I was talking about. Suggested changing the rear seal itself?? I've tried google search but to no avail. Anyone know where else I could get one??

Hi, really sorry for the super late delay, I've not been around for quite a few months.

You've probably found it, but if not part code is:

996 541 903 00

Official part name is 'Round Rubber Cord'

Cheers

steveoz said:
Hi, really sorry for the super late delay, I've not been around for quite a few months.

You've probably found it, but if not part code is:

996 541 903 00

Official part name is 'Round Rubber Cord'

:thumb:

>> http://www.911uk.com/download.php?id=27833

(PDF courtesy of GT4)

Thanks for the PDF. The noise has kinda disappeared and my c4s is MY04. I guess it should be the updated version then?!

:oops:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back