Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Choosing the best Porsche for a friend

MisterCorn

Fuji
A friend at work is coming up to his 40th birthday and wants to buy himself a Porsche, he has previously owned a 964 Carrera 4, he currently has a 944 turbo for track days and a 350hp Vauxhall VX220 road car. He wants something that is fast and fun for the road but also has four seats so he can take his two girls to school (8 and 5 years old).
He has beeen in my 996 turbo, he loves the speed of it but feels it is too quiet and civilised for what he wants, he doesn't mind something a bit harder but it needs to SOUND faster, otherwise he just knows it will go too fast too easily and he will lose his license in no time. As he says, in the VX220 it feels like you are doing 100 when you are doing 50mph, in the 996 turbo it is the other way around.
So, what should he be looking at?

996 turbo, could this be done with aftermarket exhaust to make it louder, are there any good exhausts?

993, he really likes these but isn't wouldn't want to pay for a turbo and wants something fast. Are there any lightweight 4 seaters?

996 GT3, seems ideal, except for no back seats.

996 with PSE

997, also being considered, but the depreciation is a consideration.

He is looking at spending some up to around £40k, he likes the idea of 2wd but I fear he would end up backwards in a hedge. (he managed to write off an Impreza on a damp road by going backwards at 40mph in to a tree, so he has form here). He is my business partner, so I have a vested interest in him not killing himself. :D

Ideas, suggestions, comments all welcome.

MC

MisterCorn said:
(he managed to write off an Impreza on a damp road by going backwards at 40mph in to a tree, so he has form here). He is my business partner, so I have a vested interest in him not killing himself. :D

:?: I have an Impreza. If you know how to drive (and it sounds like he does) his crash shouldn't have happened.

In any case, a 4wd won't save him then will it?

I'm struggling with your request - define 'fast' - a properly driven 993 is fast enough on the public road.

orangecurry said:
MisterCorn said:
(he managed to write off an Impreza on a damp road by going backwards at 40mph in to a tree, so he has form here). He is my business partner, so I have a vested interest in him not killing himself. :D

:?: I have an Impreza. If you know how to drive (and it sounds like he does) his crash shouldn't have happened.

I'm struggling with your request - define 'fast' - a properly driven 993 is fast enough on the public road.

You are probably right, a 993 would be plenty fast enough, and 4wd won't save anybody who drives like an idiot. So I guess it comes down to what sounds good and is a lot of fun to drive with four seats without too much depreciation. Personally I would be tempted to go for a 2wd 993. If he wants to change the suspension to firm up the ride of change the exhaust to something louder then he can do it and would still have a great car with relatively low depreciation which is more than fast enough for a road car. There are plenty of people on here who know a lot more than me about he different models, so I'm hoping for suggestions.

MC

mark pearce said:
http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=2497
i can always fit a PSE ( Sports Exhaust) ?

Hi Mark,

she looks a nice one. :thumb:

MisterCorn said:
orangecurry said:
MisterCorn said:

You are probably right, a 993 would be plenty fast enough, and 4wd won't save anybody who drives like an idiot. So I guess it comes down to what sounds good and is a lot of fun to drive with four seats without too much depreciation. Personally I would be tempted to go for a 2wd 993. If he wants to change the suspension to firm up the ride of change the exhaust to something louder then he can do it and would still have a great car with relatively low depreciation which is more than fast enough for a road car. There are plenty of people on here who know a lot more than me about he different models, so I'm hoping for suggestions.

MC

You've answered your own question I think. :D

The C2 is the one that everybody seems to want, and there are several choices on a suspension upgrade. Exhaust can simply have the internals removed or a bypass pipe fitted.

Either the 993 will get under his skin and it'll be a friend for life, or he'll mention the ancient dashboard and lack of cup holders. Whichever, it's depreciation-proof.

My eight year old son fits perfectly in the back without a booster seat, and his five year old brother fits perfectly in there on a booster seat.

When the older child gets too big to fit, I'll have to sell I guess. The child I mean.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back