Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Massive mechanical failure. Not a good day...

berni29 said:
Hi

Rimmer was (is) a character out of a very funny comedy series called Red Dwarf.

It can also have other connotations which are best not thought about.

Berni

Yes, I'm nothing like 'that' Rimmer, :floor: although I did use his name.

jfb1977 said:
Part of me is tempted to talk to Hartech, I've heard good things about them, but again, until I know the root cause and have an idea of what's required to fix things I can't do anything.

It's not going to cost you anything (apart from the cost of the call) and they will at least give you some options.

Have spoken to Hartech.

Got more food for thought now.

Watch this space...

Rimmer said:
berni29 said:
Hi

Rimmer was (is) a character out of a very funny comedy series called Red Dwarf.

It can also have other connotations which are best not thought about.

Berni

Would be great as a driver though, I wonder how much 'hard light' weighs?

MC

2 blows in one week with the beast as well

whats happened to the supercar you can use every day!

with no opc warranty im becomming a worried man

German build quality - tut tut

SPELLING!! - yes I know but I am a worried man!

Wrong time for this press release then:

'Gelber Engel" Prize for the Porsche 911

ADAC honours Porsche sports car for best quality

Stuttgart. The Porsche 911 has won the 'Gelber Engel" Prize presented by the German Automobile Club (ADAC) for the highest-quality and most reliable car in Germany. The classic sports car produced by Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, achieved top marks in both the latest ADAC customer satisfaction study and the ADAC breakdown statistics. The results of both studies form the basis for the renowned Prize of Germany's largest automobile club. The ADAC breakdown statistics are based on an evaluation of around two million breakdown reports by road patrolmen. The club magazine 'ADAC Motorwelt" determined customer satisfaction by means of a survey in which more than 43,000 readers participated. By winning this Prize, the Porsche 911 will continue its triumphal march in 2011 as an international award-winning role model for quality and reliability, which already brought it several top awards all over the world last year.

6k at hartech will get a full engine rebuild, i think i know the warrenty you were sold with the car as I am also getting the same one tomorrow when I get mine, its a gold 12 month and has a max of 5k per claim with a no number of claim limits.
This would help towards a rebuild at hartech, plus no1 knows engines better than them.

Sub997 said:
6k at hartech will get a full engine rebuild, i think i know the warrenty you were sold with the car as I am also getting the same one tomorrow when I get mine, its a gold 12 month and has a max of 5k per claim with a no number of claim limits.
This would help towards a rebuild at hartech, plus no1 knows engines better than them.

If that's what it needs/costs then maybe £1k on the chin is the way to go.

Maybe the garage should/could cough-up the £1k to get you off their case/back and supply you with a car until your 997 is returned?

Moreover they are both(warranty co + dealer) probably VAT registered and can easily claim the VAT back.

blown engines

Wizzard,
I don't understand, help me out here. A Porsche Independent dealer sells somebody a warranty knowing without a doubt that there is a chance that the engine may let go, not even explaining what that chance is. What is it with the warranty, is it the one that gives the dealers the biggest payback. Is the cost being so cheap as to be palatable even with the risk. Last year I talked with an AA man who rescued my mates flat battery and we got talking about cars, even he knew about the Porsche engines letting go. He then gobbed on about the honda Vtec engine where there is not one engine blown yet followed by Toyota and Nissan engine reliability.
I have yet to see somebody define these small numbers, how does somebody quantify small numbers. If they are only a small number why will Porsche not come clean on the numbers they know? I keep reading out here of people saying "Only a small number" how do they know?
Does anybody know what is being hidden besides dealers trying to keep a lid on it for their own interests & benefits.
I'm not taking a dig I just can't see why somebodys dream should go up in smoke with no support. It's a tragedy.

Re: blown engines

Ocean Blue said:
Wizzard,
I don't understand, help me out here. A Porsche Independent dealer sells somebody a warranty knowing without a doubt that there is a chance that the engine may let go, not even explaining what that chance is. What is it with the warranty, is it the one that gives the dealers the biggest payback. Is the cost being so cheap as to be palatable even with the risk. Last year I talked with an AA man who rescued my mates flat battery and we got talking about cars, even he knew about the Porsche engines letting go. He then gobbed on about the honda Vtec engine where there is not one engine blown yet followed by Toyota and Nissan engine reliability.
I have yet to see somebody define these small numbers, how does somebody quantify small numbers. If they are only a small number why will Porsche not come clean on the numbers they know? I keep reading out here of people saying "Only a small number" how do they know?
Does anybody know what is being hidden besides dealers trying to keep a lid on it for their own interests & benefits.
I'm not taking a dig I just can't see why somebodys dream should go up in smoke with no support. It's a tragedy.

Hi Ocean Blue

I don't think the number of failures is small at all...

Hartech rebuilds over 100 watercooled engines per year and he is only one of a number of independents that rebuild Porsche water-cooled units....

How many people just go for a replacement engine?...

How many stay within the official Porsche network for the solution...

How many of the older, less valuable high mileage cars are just scrapped?

This doesn't bode well for Porsche's reputation as a high end sports car builder in the future. :nooo:

Ocean Blue said:
Wizzard,

As they built more 997's than the previous models the % that fail will probably be about the same vs the 996's and boxsters. Unfortunately due to sheer qty, this means more in terms of actual unit failures, so we hear more about it.

Maybe it should be termed a small % rather than actual numbers but it's clear that a worrying qty of early 997's are showing up as problematic...either complete failure of requiring lots of engine work.

wizard993 said:
I have yet to see somebody define these small numbers, how does somebody quantify small numbers.

and

Maybe it should be termed a small % rather than actual numbers

BUT

Different people define 'small' differently and many don't relate to numbers when they hear of percentages.

EG.

If 500 997 engines were reported as having failed prematurely there'd be an uproar as it wouldn't be considered a small amount.

If 100,000 (non GT and non Turbo) 997s were produced and 0.5% were reported to have failed many people would say 'that's not bad'.

Fact is ......... 0.5% of 100,000 .............is 500 :cop:

If 0.5% of aeroplane engines failed, I think most people would find that unacceptable. .5 for the 996/997 engine isn't acceptable either. We'll never know the true figure, but we can all agree its too high, surely.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back