Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is the cabriolet a big no?

talksalot81

I was looking at a nice 930 turbo but it is a cab... it would not be my first pick but I am fast learning that it isn't too often you get exactly what you want with older cars! So whilst it isn't a coupe... it is guards red and a turbo... so I suppose not too bad!

I guess my question is what is the view on the cab? Is it something which is of much less appeal in the longer term and less good in terms of residuals?

For me it's a big no no, taking the top off ruins the point of a Porsche for me in every way, ruins the look, the feel, and the reason for owning one. when it comes to a turbo x100 as it's just wrong.

It's personal though, nothing more, on a wider point I think there is more demand for the coupe than the cab but as there are less cabs resale should not be an issue.

Ta - I think I will go and have a look at this one and see what it looks like in the metal. I have only ever seen coupes and suspect I agree.

At £30k with 60k miles and a 5 speed... it doesn't seem bad value though I guess there should be plenty of choice at that money.

talksalot81 said:
Ta - I think I will go and have a look at this one and see what it looks like in the metal. I have only ever seen coupes and suspect I agree.

At £30k with 60k miles and a 5 speed... it doesn't seem bad value though I guess there should be plenty of choice at that money.

I would also agree with regard to 911s and cabs but I think the 930 cab is a potential exception. As I understand it, 930 cabs are very rare (I have heard less than 200 produced) and they should also be 5 speed models as I ebelieve it was released late on in the 930 lifecycle although I could be wrong.

As a result, I suspect they would make a great investment. On the other hand, as a pure Porsche driving experience, they are not as great as the coupe, probably more for the collector who won't drive them much.

I'd certainly go for a Turbo cab - unless you're going to track it. On the road it'll be more fun than a coupe :D

I will chase it up a bit further. I do prefer the look of the coupe but the cab is still an icon and, I guess, even more an expression of 80s decadence!

I've had 3 Porsche,

2 Cabs and 1 coupe, so I'm more than happy with Cabs.

At risk of being told I'm talking out of my @rse, I question all the people who say that a coupe is stiffer and noticeably so.

I'm sure that technicallly it is, but unless you're driving at over 80% of the cars potential I don't think you'll even notice it, I didn't, and that included trips across Europe, and laps of the 'Ring at a 'modest' speed fair enough.

If a Porsche cab is such a no-no why is there a premium on the price when purchased from new?

I suppose you have to ask yourself where do you live, where do you daily drive and what do you want out of it.

if your commuting into a city every day possibly not, but don't diss a cab just cos of that, that just means it's not practical for your needs.

I loved my cabs, a 964 and 996, what I think puts some people off is the lines of the car with the soft top up, but when you put it down they're beautiful cars, and head turners !!!

Oh, and a bit more talking out of my @rse I suspect, if you're buying a car, any car as an investment, don't.

Even 993 and 964 RS and other previously Highly sought after and exceedingly highly priced, owners are struggling to achieve the prices the owners think they're worth.

buy it cos you want it and like it IMO. you'll never make money on it for sure, whatever it is.

Ah don't worry, it is not an investment! It is my 30th this year and I want to get a really fun car. It is in my mind that the car will lose a lot less than a modern car (996 turbo, for example) but I am also prepared that what I might save through limited depreciation, I will likely spend on maintenance.

Spooky,

I've just bought a 996 turbo, and the general feeling seems to be that they have bottomed out now,

When you can get a £100k supercar for around £30k, that can't be bad !!

I'm sure/know it will lose money, but quite slowly now, as it's still a £100k supercar :D

OK, now this one is a coupe but thats not what sold me on it, I didn't want Black or Silver, and having waited some time for a colour combo I liked to show up in cabrio format it didnt happen,

So that's why i've gone from Cabrio to Coupe, but I'm actually trying to find the 964 I sold, (As I spent serious money putting that back into good shape), and if I can find it, I'll try and buy it back so I have a cabrio as well !!!

pirellipete said:
Spooky,

I've just bought a 996 turbo, and the general feeling seems to be that they have bottomed out now

Oh that is a big can of worms!

I suspect that the reason why they are more new is simple balance sheet stuff, they cost more to produce. As far as the driving experience goes I can certainly say that in my experience that you can feel the difference between a cab and a coupe driving around town let alone at 10 10ths or on the track, scuttle shake alone is instantly felt.

If you put a coupe driver blindfolded in a cab he would know instantly or think that the coupe had serious chasssis issues.

All only my opinion mind.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back