Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin Super Sports MPSS # 997 Tyre Thread (Input needed)

sidlo said:
As Porsche were instrumental in developing and testing these tyres they must be N rated.

I Emailed Michelin, and were told to fit them, even without N rating !!! :?:

I may need to go down the PS2 route this time, unless it changes sharpish

Dave :)

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Hi
Thanks to you all for your input.
I wonder why when Porsche were involved in the development of the tyre they are still not N rated?
If anybody does here of them becoming N rated please let us know.

I've sent another Email, and have been told I'll be contacted on Monday when the Marketing Manager will be back in the Office. He's the only one who knows the answer apparently :frustrated:

I'll let everyone know the result

Dave :)

Well, my vote still goes with the Bridgestones... They do seem to be quieter than any other tyres I've tried (but I've never tried the Michelins), they still seem to grip after I've run out of talent (as I discovered on a muddy tightening left hander, when I was in the wrong gear and not paying appropriate attention for the speed I was doing, the other night :eek: ), are a lot cheaper than the PS2s and still have a decent amount of tread nearly 10,000 miles later :)

I think a lot of the hype about Michelins is badge snobbery, tbh... I'm not convinced that most mere mortal drivers would ever notice the difference (if indeed there is any :wink: )

IMO the £300 extra every 10,000 miles would be better spent on other things to optimise the performance of you and your car - such as a track day and a bit of instruction :D :grin: :drive:

Finally got a reply from them,

"We are currently working on 'N' fitment with Porsche on sizes, 235/35 ZR 19 (91Y) FRONT and
305/30 ZR 19 (102Y) REAR on the 911 Turbo (997), however at the moment we cannot give a time scale for the homologation being obtained and the 'N' marked tyres becoming available."

:?

Dave

foxmod said:
Finally got a reply from them,

"We are currently working on 'N' fitment with Porsche on sizes, 235/35 ZR 19 (91Y) FRONT and
305/30 ZR 19 (102Y) REAR on the 911 Turbo (997), however at the moment we cannot give a time scale for the homologation being obtained and the 'N' marked tyres becoming available."

Dave

Roughly translated...

michelin (probably) said:
We have not agreed to pay the extortionate price that Porsche are demanding from us to enable us to cash in on their lucrative OEM aftersales business... We are currently doing fine selling tyres to owners of other makes of car and/or people who don't give a flying ***** about N-ratings...

If Porsche decide to take a reality pill and lower their price for their little anti-competitive game we may reconsider and stick an N on some of our new tyres, otherwise, hell will freeze over first... "

HTH :grin:

...I don't think that's a rough translation at all Wattie...your probably 100% spot on :)

Don't see them doing any 18" 30/315 section tyres anytime soon either :nooo:

Hi,

I need to get new rear tyres for my 997 C2S. Is it safe to put Super Sports at the rear and leave the fronts on PS2s. There's still quite a lot of life left in the fronts so i'd rather not change them if i can help it.

I've read about non-N rating possibly affecting warranty. Will it invalidate my Insurance if i have non-N rated tyres?

Also any recommendations on where to get the best price.

Thanks

Pav

Hi Pav

EDIT: Sorry, you can get Super Sports in 295/30/19 now, where only the 4S and Turbo size 305 were available.

Are you still thinking of a wheel colour change? If we can tie it in with some new tyres then you shoudl get a good saving. Please drop me an email.

Chris W said:
Hi Pav

You cant get Super Sports in 295/30/19, only the 4S and Turbo size 305.

Are you still thinking of a wheel colour change? If we can tie it in with some new tyres then you shoudl get a good saving. Please drop me an email.

Yes you can, I had a set fitted last week and they are a definite improvement over n-rated PS2's :)

Gibbo205 said:
Chris W said:
Hi Pav

Yes you can, I had a set fitted last week and they are a definite improvement over n-rated PS2's :)

Whoops, sorry I stand corrected they are indeed available now. Still not N rated though.

Chris W said:
Gibbo205 said:
Chris W said:
Hi Pav

Whoops, sorry I stand corrected they are indeed available now. Still not N rated though.

Correct not n-rated but I have it in writing from Porsche saying they are happy to allow me to fit none n-rated tyres to my car under extended warranty, just as long as they are the Super Sports as Porsche recognise them as a tyre designed for the 911 and are now selling new cars with these fitted even though not n-rated and also the fact all the cars at the experience centre at Silverstone are also wearing none N-rated SuperSports too. :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back