Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 pasenger side wind-noise...

aitchy

Hi folks,

New to the forum and the world of Porsche ownership...picked up my 2003 C2 two weeks ago, really enjoying it but i'm currently really struggling to ignore the wind-noise!

I have trawled the forum to look for an answer, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

It appears at not particularly high speeds (about 40-50mph) but obviously gets worse the faster I go. It sounds as though it is coming in through the air vent next to the passenger side window..but it still makes the noise with the fans turned off, and with the vent set to 'closed'. I cant feel any air coming in anywhere around that area. :x

I have checked and cleaned the window and door seals with silicone, I have removed the scuttle panel and cant see anything which looks like a poor seal at the bottom of the windscreen. The only thing i could think is if there is any way of air being pushed through the pollen filter into the cabin? I only mention this as it would fit with the problem (location-wise).

Really stuck for an answer, so any suggestions anyone may have would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Charlie

Good morning and welcome...
When you say "wind noise" what exactly do you mean? Is it a whistle / buzz or something, or just rushing air?
I've got to admit even though the aerodynamics on the 996 is excellent, as a recent new and first time owner myself I do agree that they are noisey as you get faster, but I put that down to tyre noise just as much as wind.
Is your window shutting the extra half inch or so when you shut the door? And has it (the car) ever been bent? Ill fitting repaired doors can leave gaps, and any gap will probably help make more noise... Can leaves get in the ducts? I'm not sure...
I know how you feel though, the slightest rattle and i'm banging the dash!
Last resort... Turn the sterio up!!! :wink:

Morning!

Thanks for the response...I have tried the 'stereo up' approach, but it still bugs me!!

When I say wind noise, i mean the type of noise you would get if a window wasnt sealing properly. For all the world it sounds as though it is being pushed through the vent though?! The doors fit and close fine, everything seems straight to the eye, and the window definitely does go right up to the top. The strange thing is that I cant seem to detect even a hint of a draught coming through anywhere, which you would kind of expect with the type of noise it is making.

I'm certain it isn't a standard noise on these things. It is just that bit too loud to ignore though.

May go and spend another hour poking around for signs of a poor seal....

Cheers. :nooo:

Bit of a mystery then...
Try an earful passenger and get a second opinion, sterio off, fans off (keep pressing the fan lowering button until it eventually says "off", it could still be fan related)and have a glance under the front of the car and wheel arches for anything loose or abnormal.
Other than that? Enjoy...
:)

Welcome, I'm the same as you it would annoy me like hell, but luckily have no noise issues.
I'd take it to an OPC and ask them for there opinion let them drive it round the block and you relax with a cup of coffee, they wont charge you, the few times I've been I've always found the staff very helpful it's probably a simple fix. :thumb:

Your door may need adjusting on the hinges to bring the glass in the door closer to the rubber seals.
There are 2 star bolts that can be slackened off and the door can be slid closer in. I had a similar noise at 70 and over that I found to be the glass not making a really tight seal to the rubber.
Get someone else to drive your car whilst you sit in the passenger seat and listen close to exactly where the noise is coming from.

or perhaps the window isn't sealing properly when you shut the door !!

You could check if the glass is sealing by wetting the door rubbers and closing the door. You will see a dark line where ever the glass is touching.
You may have it sealing when standing still but at speed it may not be a strong enough seal to hold the wind at bay.

Whereabouts in the country are you? Might be worth meeting up with another owner and going out in their car to see if the same noise is present, then you'll know if it's just something they all do and you're not used to it (eg if you've come from an S-class Merc then a 911 WILL be a lot noisier at speed), or whether there's a definite problem with yours?

For reference mine doesn't really get that noisy until above 140mph, but I guess it's relative (my last car was a 350Z which suffered a lot of road noise all the time due to the open boot design).

Thanks very much for all the suggestions!

I will go and try the wet-seal trick now, but will probably have to take it to OPC for them to take a look.

Incidentally, I am based in Putney, so if there are any other helpful members around then that would be really useful.

Really appreciate the responses.

Bit of a long shot, but have you checked the black plastic cover on the bottom of the door mirror housing? They sometimes come unclipped, leaving the leading edge proud, causing a whistling at higher speed.

So...just took a quick (!) drive to the service centre, who were obviously closed as its a saturday :oops:

On the way there I paid a bit more attention to what was going on. The noise starts at under 40mph, and just gets louder. There is also a noticeable squeak/creak coming from that door whilst driving. It does look like it is in the right place (in terms of the bodywork), but is it possible that it could still need to be tweaked inwards slightly?

When I wet the seal, there is an almost continuous, but very thin dark line, so i'm thinking that maybe, as suggested, the door could do with being adjusted inwards a bit. Unfortunately dont have a star-key bit to fit :x

Have just checked the mirror cover too...all intact there, nothing where it shouldnt be!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back