Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Wheel Dilema - help me choose!

halenko

Ok so I want to get some 18's for my new 993 cabriolet. Its Midnight blue with blue leather - here is a current pic:
230_Porsche_For_Sale_993yum1_1.jpg

I can't decide whether to go for the standard 18" Porsche C4S / Turbo wheel here: (but without the chrome)
DSCF0002.jpg

Or the Veloce 18" wheel here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/850-00-GBP-18...s_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item230cb5f887

Or even the BBS LM wheels like the ones listed here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-BBS-LM-STY...s_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item33633dc2ac

I am leaning towards the Veloce's but just can't decide - what is everyone's opinions please?

Keep the Cups IMO

wheels

I love my sport classics, original but still modern looking

Attachments

• cropped_197.jpg
    cropped_197.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,013
I'd stick with the 17" cups too, especially on the slightly more flexy cabrio.

You guys - :hand:

Answer the question!

Which wheel? As always in life, it depends :grin:

For looks IMO, probably BBS LM, then Turbo1, then Veloce.

BUT remember, these are not genuine BBS LM, and the Veloce have some dubious feedback on strength IIRC. They will be stupidly heavy, and the LM copy finish MIGHT not be good or last well.

So for function, the Cup2s and then some OE Turbo1; though the solidspokes Turbo1 still weigh significantly more than the Cup2, I'll bet the Turbo1 solidspokes STILL weigh significantly LESS than the copy BBS or Veloce.

Remember, increased rotating mass has a big impact on acceleration, braking and handling.

But if the car is for wafting, BBS LM :thumb:

Now I've seen them I do like bucski's sport classics - never seen any of these for sale though!

I realise going to 18" isn't going to give me as good a ride but I want the look! I think they cup's do look good when sparkling clean but any little bit of dirt and they look like 15" bottom of the rung wheels (just my opinion)...

If you think the Veloce wheels are poorly made im defo best avoiding these!

ChrisW would have all of the OE wheels you are interested in, and obviously they would be guaranteed NOT to be bent/etc.

halenko said:
If you think the Veloce wheels are poorly made im defo best avoiding these!

I didn't say that - but I'm sure I saw a thread (maybe not on here) where one had broken, but it might have been on a track car :dont know:

The key thing to remember is that SOME copy/aftermarket wheels are cheap for a reason. Just do as many searches on here, PH and Rennlist on the wheels you are considering.

Hi Halenko

I was going to say before I read that my favourite on the Cab are the Sport Classic II's as per Bucski. They do look stunning. I actually supplied those wheels to him and took his in part-ex. His originals are now ready and available for sale. Please contact me vioa [email protected]

You will need to ensure your car is fitted with the steering rack brace as advised by Porsche when fitting 18" wheels.

I often find when the question is asked 'which wheel?' there is a very good reason for wanting to upgrade, and its normally an overwhelming desire to fill the arches better. Cup 2's are lovely but you cant beat IMO a 933 arch with 18's.

Diddy-p and Asterix-the-Gaul on here both have run Cab's with 18's for many years now with no issues AFAIK.

Thanks for the recommendation OC :thumb:

Chris W said:
I often find when the question is asked 'which wheel?' there is a very good reason for wanting to upgrade, and its normally an overwhelming desire to fill the arches better. Cup 2's are lovely but you cant beat IMO a 933 arch with 18's.

Totally agree with this Chris.
My 18" hollow"s fill my wheel arch just right to my eye. 17's look a little too small imo. Just my preference.

I got mine from Chris and they are superb. Great guy to deal with also.

Some library pics of a Black 993 Cab, sort of gives an idea of how yours could look.

Sport Classic II

420_profile3.jpg

420_1_web.jpg

420_2_profile2.jpg

420_3_profile1.jpg

Turbo I

1776_web3.jpg

1776_3_side2.jpg

Chris is a top chap to deal with - I genuinely don't see why you'd go anywhere else.

If you get the sport classics you will need one of these...!

soft_spoke_brush.jpg

Has to be the Turbo's for me though I do like the Sport Classics and nearly bought a set for my coupe.

Whichever ones you get, bear in mind that 18's on standard suspension make the car ride pretty high so you might want to consider dropping the ride height...

You will be an outcast heathen like me if you fit Non Porsche wheels on your car :floor: :floor:

Or you just could be unique

mvc001s_copy17.jpg

img3264choppedandcontrafq8.jpg

014-9.jpg

I like these Speedlines and am seriously tempted!

Attachments

• 18p_speedline_993_3_586.jpg
    18p_speedline_993_3_586.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,340

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back