Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 child baby seats & rear seat belts

I resurrected this topic as I'm coming to the end of a long road on getting secure seating for my 10 month old . and I thought I'd share my info.

I've got a Britax Trio (easily available on Ebay) , though was unable to fit it in the back due to the seat belt being too short. After talking to SBS in stanmore and various seat suppliers I decided that a 'click on' extension wasn't the one for me , and it looked like I was going to have to go the €200 for a longer Porsche belt. One last phone call to SBS , and whatdaya know , they make extensions onto your belt to whatever length you want for about £25.

I had to send mine to them as I'm in Dublin , and the finished product is winging it's way back to me at the moment . It's certainly a cheaper alternate to buying a new porsche product , especially if it's just as good (which I'm told by the experts it is).I know it's not about the money when your child's safety is at stake but there no point in throwing money needlessly as Porsche either (and God knows I've done enough of that :D) I'll update when I get the belt and re-fit it.

Ballcock, I bought a seat belt extender for £5 from here:

http://www.securon.co.uk/

I've posted on various threads in the archives - did you not do a search?

I think I need to do a child seat FAQ :frustrated:

993C2S said:

Yep , I did search and saw this , from what I could gather , these guys supply a piece of seat belt with 'male' and 'female' connectors on the end to connect to the existing rear belt .. From talking to a few of the baby seat suppliers (and SBS) , I wasn't happy going down this road.

ballcock said:
993C2S said:

Yep , I did search and saw this , from what I could gather , these guys supply a piece of seat belt with 'male' and 'female' connectors on the end to connect to the existing rear belt .. From talking to a few of the baby seat suppliers (and SBS) , I wasn't happy going down this road.

Not sure what you mean mate :?

The Securon belt extender bolts to hole where the existing belt anchors (rear quarter bottom corner). The original belt then attaches to the extender bracket with a fat bolt and nut. Very secure and very effective.
Maybe I should take a picture to show what I mean?

Ah righto , I get you .
Just a different way to skin a cat really.

The normal seat belt extension is just a male to female connection, and shops selling baby seats won't stock these anymore as they say these can come undone as they sit behind the seat.

child car seats

I went through this having bought a 993 Targa & had 1 yr & 3 yr old kids to fit in & thus prove to my wife it was really a family car. I was also advised to go for a M&P Protec and for an older child, a MaxiCosi Rodi.

I also went to SBS in stanmore for help/ proper extension belt. Both seats have worked pretty well - I will try & post a picture of a Protec fitting which was sent to me by SBS while I was working out what to do.

FWIW, I have now moved on to booster seats now the kids are bigger & need a bit more space, so do in fact have the Protec/Rodi sitting unused at home.....

I'd be interested to see how you got the M&P Protec to fit, as I tried it but it didn't fit well at all :?

car seat

seat bought Feb 07. This is the pic from sbs, not in my car. I didnt have high expectations, so was partly just pleased to get it in, but it was sufficiently stable to get past the maternal scrutiny. The height of the seat made it feel like a swquash, but our youngerone loved the ability to look out, & would get lots of positive responses from passers by.

Attachments

• picture_026_812.jpg
    picture_026_812.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,932
Hi rossh

How much did you lengethen the seat belt by? When I speak to SBS, it'd help to be able to quantify. How much did they charge?

You'd recommend the M&P Protec?

While the Protec fits, it doesn't fit as well as a Sicuro or Porsche Prince.

The legroom is also non-existant with a Protec.

According to SBS, the belt would need to be extended by 18'' and your existing buckle replace with shorter one. From memory c. £150 for everything incl fitting.

Agree on the leg-room point for the Pro-Tec, but since this was for a baby it wasnt too much of a problem - when she was bigger we did adjust the front seat rake more. It wouldnt be ideal for an every day drive. We have now moved onto booster seats which are much easier.

The Maxi Cosi Rodi seems to do the trick, but if youve got the "old" seat belt buckle you will need to replace this with the smaller ones to avoid buckle crunch. This seat is for 15kg onwards as it doesnt have its own harness. But more than the weight of baby, the height is important, so the seatbelt doesnt rub etc. It fits the back seats nicely and offers good support for children 15kg or about 2'8" in height. Biggest drawback is Baby wants to be in the front seat, not the back!

Not sure if this is the right place to mention it - the for sale bit only seems to want cars - but as baby has now outgrown the Porsche Prince seat
we went with first, Im going to put it on Ebay unless anyone here is interested.

Cheers
Ol

993 child seats & rear seat belts?

Tried putting my child car seat in the 993 and the seat seemed to fit but the seatbelt wasn't long enough to stretch round the seat.

Is there a way of to lengthen the seatbelts or is it just a case of having longer seatbelts installed.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back