Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Centers

Paris

Guys,

i am looking into changing my OPC as it is just too far away. I go to Tonbridge now and i have no complaints.
The one nearest to me is Chiswick.
Anyoen got any reviews/comments on them?

If you have no complaints with Tonbridge, then I would stick with them. Apparently once you drive over the forecourt at Chiswick OPC, you get a severe case of RMS, worn discs & pads and malfunctioning radiators to name but a few. It must be the tarmac in that place.

~ Maxie :wink:

I would avoid Chiswick ...from personal experience

Maxie said:
Apparently once you drive over the forecourt at Chiswick OPC, you get a severe case of RMS, worn discs & pads and malfunctioning radiators to name but a few. It must be the tarmac in that place.

~ Maxie :wink:

Probably not the first (or last) complaint:

On October 14th 2009 at 11:47am wagonface said:
Watch out for the roads around OPC Chiswick, they're a killer for your RMS. Every time I went there I somehow managed to make my RMS leak so it needed replacing under warranty. Even when I went there after an indy had the car in the air and showed me how it was bone dry a couple of weeks before, Chiswick informed me that it needed doing and did it under warranty without even consulting me. Phew, close one.

Another side effect of the bad roads around OPC Chiswick is that they instantaneously corrode your brake discs, so you need those replacing as soon as you drive there, even when you replaced them only 4mths previously.

Someone really should inform the council about the roads...

Make a day of it and drive down the M4 to Reading (only an hour from Chiswick). It's Porsche HQ so expect top notch service. I have found them very good. And expensive - but that's the buying cars bit...

That's the buying Sports Classics bit.....

~ Maxie :grin:

Might have something to do with it Maxie... :lol:

They were very nice, gave me a PDK Turbo for four days and when I returned it slightly broken :oops: complaining it was too fast to keep on the road, they offered me a C4S instead :thumb:

It's how you spell "Porsche Water-cooled" (and for the clever clogs, no I'm not including the hybrids). Or so the air-cooleds would probably say.

It's the Rear Main Seal.

It looks like this (OK that's actually a GT3 RMS, but really you almost can't tell, they are just big o-rings):

996-GT3-CUP-RMS-DIF.jpg

And it fits here (picture credits: oz951):

ims-rms.jpg

Almost every internal combustion engine has one (at the end of the crankshaft, normally directly before the gearbox, although that is generally bolted to the engine, unless it is a fancy car with a front engine and rear gearbox with just a transmission shaft between).

Anyway, it stops the sump oil exiting the engine via the crankshaft/driveshaft, or at least that is the theory.

Due to the high stresses of a rear engine and weight saving seeming instituted on the water-cooled engine and gearbox (leading to no quite so accurate tolerance apertures and/or greater flex/movement) and the original seals being a bit under engineered, the seal is known (infamous) for leaking.

However, most RMS leak in any car, it's just whether it mists, weeps or fails (leaving a mess and engine failure if you decide to drive off with no oil).

Don't worry though, the new Teflon seals developed over time and culminating in the 997 seals (or even the Cayenne ones if you want really beefy ones) have almost completely sorted the problem.

Early 996 may still have had a degree of extra flex and lower engineering tolerances, so random variations in production may still leave a slight leak.

The upside is that if do loose all your oil in one go (very rare) you will almost certainly notice as you will have slipped over in the 9 litres of oil on the way into the car.

The fact is pretty much every car has had its RMS changed if it has leaked already (or if it had a new clutch, as the part is about £20-£30 and fitted in minutes once the engine-gearbox is cracked open for a clutch).

If it hasn't already leaked and been replaced, it probably won't any time soon as it is obviously a good engine casting, bolting or seal in there. In which case, let sleeping dogs lie.

Most of that diatribe was pretty much tongue in cheek, as it us internet folklaw that is the biggest problem with the "infamous" RMS.

It is almost nothing to worry about and even if you do get any thing up to a few drips on the drive or garage floor it just means wait until the the next clutch is due.

Obviously if it does fail, don't drive and get it flat-bedded to local OPC (or better a good indy) and take the opportunity of fitting a clutch for free ehen they crack the engine-gearbox for the new RMS (obviously younhave to actually pay for the replacement clutch part).

GT4, imagine if you actually knew a thing or two about Porsches?! We'd have to club together and get you your own server! :whistle:

I'll settle for you clubing together and getting 911uk a new server :pc:

... and a bloody spell checker :wall:

Actually, truth be told, I am waiting for Microsoft, Porsche or Goldman Sachs to invest into 911UK.com and value it at $50BN, then my share is worth $585MM. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back