Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Early 996 - what questions should I ask the seller?

rottenbend said:
£8.5k after the owner had fitted new discs and pads all round... The car needs some bodywork TLC but runs perfectly.

That sounds like such a lot of car for the money :eek: Well done ! :thumbs:

Id like to see before & after Pics ! :thumb:

It gets better - not only does it have hard-backed sports seats but it also has 408 option wheels, a limited slip diff M220 (was this standard?) and a hi-fi upgrade.

I should have bought it myself!

LSD optional.

Approx. £750 option.

rottenbend said:
It gets better - not only does it have hard-backed sports seats but it also has 408 option wheels, a limited slip diff M220 (was this standard?) and a hi-fi upgrade.

I should have bought it myself!

:eek: :eek:

We need Pics ! :grin:

If this car is not

Cat C rebuild/cut'n'shut/Albanian import

Then I am seriously pissed-off.

If this car is mechanically sound, nice colour/spec but cosmetically tatty your mate was in the right place at the right time.

i suspect the car would have acheived in excess of £10k on fleabay.

I have to say, selling a 996 that is in any way decent condition for less than 10K is a bit ridiculous. I would never give mine away like that. I'd either store it away in the garage or strip it down and use it for track days or do some sort of hobby project with it. But selling a car like that with so much performance and quality for 8.5K doesn't make sense at all.

I can only imagine that some of these 'giveaway' fire sales are because the owners concerned have hit particularly hard times and need cash fast. And one man's pain will always be another man's gain. But even that doesn't explain the actions of a seller giving away a car that could have achived a higher price

There's an article in the latest 911&Porsche World were on of the contirbutors has just bought a sub £20K 996. Clearly, if there are good sub 10K cars out there he's a foolish buyer and was ripped off by the dealer.

The reality is that there all sorts of mischevious posts on forums and various mythical tales of mates getting this or that. It all tends to unravel when one actually tries to go out and find one of these sub 10K 996's in decent condition. They suddenly don't exist.

Niall

Niall996 said:
I have to say, selling a 996 that is in any way decent condition for less than 10K is a bit ridiculous. I would never give mine away like that. I'd either store it away in the garage or strip it down and use it for track days or do some sort of hobby project with it. But selling a car like that with so much performance and quality for 8.5K doesn't make sense at all.

I can only imagine that some of these 'giveaway' fire sales are because the owners concerned have hit particularly hard times and need cash fast. And one man's pain will always be another man's gain. But even that doesn't explain the actions of a seller giving away a car that could have achived a higher price

There's an article in the latest 911&Porsche World were on of the contirbutors has just bought a sub £20K 996. Clearly, if there are good sub 10K cars out there he's a foolish buyer and was ripped off by the dealer.

The reality is that there all sorts of mischevious posts on forums and various mythical tales of mates getting this or that. It all tends to unravel when one actually tries to go out and find one of these sub 10K 996's in decent condition. They suddenly don't exist.

Niall

Spot onthey do not exist in reality, there was one recently believe it or not sold for £6500 but it had starship miles 260K, still agreat buy though for someone.

Niall996 said:

Niall

Niall

Thanks for insulting my integrity in your first post on the forum :thumb:.

This deal is one hundred percent genuine. I'll post pictures of the car once I get a chance. Why would I fabricate such a convoluted story - what purpose would it serve? I think my neighbour has done a great deal and thought others on this forum may be interested. I don't think it's a fair indication of the value of the car either but the car sold for £8.5k like it or not.

I bought a flying saucer for 2p once.

Thanks for insulting my integrity in your first post on the forum .

Sorry to insult you. I genuinely meant that as a general comment about spurious posts rather than yours specifically. But if the car is a decent 911, that sort of money is ridiculous and completely unrepresentative of the market for good early 996's. But that doesn't mean there aren't exeptional instances of bizarre transactions. So please do post pics on this car. If it's a good one I think I'll buy it off your friend myself and he's quids in.

Niall

GT4 said:
I bought a flying saucer for 2p once.

I used to get 4 black jacks or fruit salads for 1p. :?:

How times have changed. :eek:

Niall996 said:
Thanks for insulting my integrity in your first post on the forum .

Sorry to insult you. I genuinely meant that as a general comment about spurious posts rather than yours specifically. But if the car is a decent 911, that sort of money is ridiculous and completely unrepresentative of the market for good early 996's. But that doesn't mean there aren't exeptional instances of bizarre transactions. So please do post pics on this car. If it's a good one I think I'll buy it off your friend myself and he's quids in.

Niall

Welcome to the forum :D

No probs - to be honest I shouldn't have thrown my toys out of the pram. It's very easy to read something into someone's post that isn't actually there :thumb:

Oh and it has crossed my mind to offer £9.5k for the car and have it myself - i don't think he will part with it though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back