Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Chassis Legs - Corrosion ISSUES

dommorton said:
Stuck my head under there just now and can't see anything without at least removing the arch liner.

Not sure I want to investigate further TBH :nooo:

I can see you need some therapy. Well I think we all need to check this area out - leaving it will only let it get worse, but it's more than pulling the arch liner I'm afraid.

You have a car that's worth this little repair if it's needed. Put it on your winter list.

Lee

Dom , Lee et al!
I'm sure I've mentioned this but the real problem is that Porsche didn't seal the top of the bracket and the chassis leg. Shoite and umscah got in behind the support and started the rot over time. It doesn't help that the support by it's nature moves and flexes with the rear quarters / pu.
The solution is , once treated , the new support must be sealed from the top to avoid this happening again.
Dom , get in there and see if it needs doing , cross it off the list!!

ballcock said:
Dom , Lee et al!
I'm sure I've mentioned this but the real problem is that Porsche didn't seal the top of the bracket and the chassis leg. Shoite and umscah got in behind the support and started the rot over time. It doesn't help that the support by it's nature moves and flexes with the rear quarters / pu.
The solution is , once treated , the new support must be sealed from the top to avoid this happening again.
Dom , get in there and see if it needs doing , cross it off the list!!

Agreed.

Lee

I'm sure my OCD won't let this one lie and I'll be compelled to pull it apart at some stage.

Stage 2.

I pulled the passenger side off and it was all perfect on that side. I had suspected that the car had seen some action on that rear qtr anyway and it clearly been refinished. I presume the car had been hit albeit very mildly on the passenger bumper from the side which might have bent the bumper support panel and perhaps affected the chassis metal a little - clearly no big repair but something has happened. The underside of the rear wing and bumper support mounting area which re-stone-chipped indicating where the repair was. I cannot actually see any evidence of a repair and I know what I'm looking for so it must have been done well.

With the rear pu and then bumper and irons removed you get reasonable access to the back of the rusty area. On the passenger side this showed signs of rust at the lower seam - a sure sign of a repair - I'll just fill the cavity full of wax and it should be ok. On the rusty drivers side the lower seam and interior of the box section was otherwise perfect indicating no repair ever.

Thus with a panel welded on I will easily be able to protect the welded area from the back. To get all this stuff off to this stage took about an hour today and now I'm ready to fix the rusty side. At least I don't need to fix the drivers side :thumbs:

Needless to say that shiny bolts will be going back everywhere with plenty of grease.

Enjoy the photos :)

Attachments

• p1000751_150.jpg
    p1000751_150.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3,014
  • p1000750_194.jpg
    p1000750_194.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3,014
  • p1000749_150.jpg
    p1000749_150.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 3,014
  • p1000747_132.jpg
    p1000747_132.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,014
  • p1000744_137.jpg
    p1000744_137.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 3,014
  • p1000743_733.jpg
    p1000743_733.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 3,014
  • p1000745_256.jpg
    p1000745_256.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 3,014
Holy sh**********t......

That last photo is not something I'll be attempting....it was bad enough reading his thread....now cars are in pieces in garages. Heeeeeeeeeelp.

TheCock said:
Holy sh**********t......

That last photo is not something I'll be attempting....it was bad enough reading his thread....now cars are in pieces in garages. Heeeeeeeeeelp.

Don't panic, I tend to go over board when I do a job so I've taken stuff off that didn't need to come off so I can grease up fasteners and have a general look around. You don't have to undo that many bolts to get to this view and it's all just sheet metal and plastic (apart from the silencers)

Lee

Blimey good work tearing in to it so vigourously.

Those inner chassis legs are crying out for some wax aren't they.

I think we all need to consider administering a good dose in all such areas to preserve these old ladies.

Deffo adding an arse end tear down to the winter list. I can change the plug leads at the same time. Still really hope I don't discover the rot.

TheCock said:
Holy sh**********t......

Haha I did warn you not to look :eek:

dommorton said:
TheCock said:
Holy sh**********t......

Haha I did warn you not to look :eek:

Of course I know now that mine is effectively fixed.

Anyone local (or not) is welcome to come over to see how the job is going :)

Lee

dommorton said:
Deffo adding an arse end tear down to the winter list.

Me too. No better way to really get to know (and hopefully love) your car I guess.

I'm fairly nervous though - I'm not sure my mechanical know-how is up to the mark. I certainly wouldn't attempt it without knowing that I can ask questions on here and get the right answers :thumb:. I've had look already and all my exhaust bolts are completely corroded and will need to be cut out...

I'd normally pay someone to do something like this but the more I learn the more I believe that if a job is worth doing it's worth doing youself.

if a job is worth doing it's worth doing yourself.

Yes, the stamps in my service book are worth zero in my opinion. Service centres work by the hour and that doesn't necessarily mean quality.

Most of the problems I have so far encountered through the car have been rusty fasteners so it's just a case of taking your time.

Lee

BC and Lee, thanks for all your efforts with this!

Guys, it would be awesome if we could find somewhere undercover with loads of space and have a workshop weekender to work through stuff like this together.....

cyruspower said:
Guys, it would be awesome if we could find somewhere undercover with loads of space and have a workshop weekender to work through stuff like this together.....

I like the idea of that :)

Lee

samba-lee said:
cyruspower said:

I like the idea of that :)

Lee
I have often thought about this. The unit a few doors along in Forest Hill is run by a Carpenter who is a VW Camper nut. In the summer he puts on a workshop weekend. Friday afternoon campers start arriving from all over London. Beers get opened and the BBQ gets going and lots fibreglass resin gets applied. By Monday morning it looks like the aftermath of Glasto without the mud. This is all great but it does depend on half decent weather.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back