Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Chassis Legs - Corrosion ISSUES

samba-lee said:
Right then, are you ready for this... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I love this forum. What a fantastic prompt response :thumb:

OMG so that's a hole in the chassis leg! :eek:

I hate this forum :sad:

Don't panic Mr. Manwarring!! (.. Or however it's spelt!)
This is the only area that's suseptable to this sort of rash .. And we're catching it in good time!My guy says he's not seen the rust getting as far as the inner chassis boxes ...
AND it's a good time to get in there with a wax gun ...

Are you going to do all the work yourself Samba?

I happen to have a photo of when I did the bumper supports... mine looks slightly different?

In any case, I'll whizz it off and take some photos so you can see what an ex-garage queen rots like :thumb:

But don't hold your breath, I'm working on a different car at the moment.

bs-new.JPG

Oh how the winter repair list grows....... :roll:

p1000740_101.jpg

Good grief thats ugly, I shall be into my car soon then. :nooo:
Thanks for posting Lee.

Right now the panic is over - well rather we all accept the inevitable we can get on with fixing it.

I stuck my finger in the hole and all the surfaces I could get to were smooth so this has clearly rusted from the outside, caused by the bumper mount and it's close proximity to the chassis.

I will simply cut out the infected metal and weld a plate over the hole. I'll repair the bumper support and compensate for the repair plate thickness and put it all back together. I'll have access holes somewhere in the plate to wax it up once it's welded in place. The problem is always that the internal welded area is completely exposed metal so the best you can do is spray the cavity with wax. I'll paint the outside area with por-15, then maybe stone-chip it and wax it before bolting the bumper support back on.

And yes I'll do it all myself as I have restored many cars so really this is a trivial repair. Unfortunately we will probably all need to check this area and it will probably need work. As indicated though this seems to be a specific problem area caused be poor design - so much so that I think this should have been raised as a recall because it potentially affects chassis structure and has clearly been eating away from an early age.

Thanks for the kind words btw, I guess my OCD got turned on with this subject and I got bored within a few days of finishing my covers job :)

Do you know what "you man" modifies to reduce the likelihood of rust here again ? I imagined standing the plate off the chassis with a spacer ? although I don't know if that might cause more water and muck to get lodged there.

Lee

From what I could see of previous pics Lee , he removed the bracket ,cut out the rust from the chassis , welded in a piece , ground down the excess weld , then primed the area , put on a new bracket (at £65 a side from OPC , not including shipping!) , and finally stone guarded the whole area.. Is this enough to do the trick?

I'm popping back over again tomorrow as he's on the way home from work if you'd any thoughts....

So looking at OC's pic I can't see the plate at all? Does this mean (and I seriously hope it does) later cars don't have it? :?:

ballcock said:
From what I could see of previous pics Lee , he removed the bracket ,cut out the rust from the chassis , welded in a piece , ground down the excess weld , then primed the area , put on a new bracket (at £65 a side from OPC , not including shipping!) , and finally stone guarded the whole area.. Is this enough to do the trick?

I'm popping back over again tomorrow as he's on the way home from work if you'd any thoughts....

It's all you can do to be honest and it will probably last long enough for you not to be worried. You won't have the car next time it rusts through :)

The only issue I would raise is how the inside of the plate and weld is protected. You can spray the plate with weld through primer to at least coat it in something - he will know that that though.

Having said that and looking at more picture of Graham's speedster it looks like you can see down the chassis leg if you remove the main bumper bar. In which case this is what I'll do to get some paint and wax on the inside of the repair.

P1060527.jpg

Lee

dommorton said:
So looking at OC's pic I can't see the plate at all? Does this mean (and I seriously hope it does) later cars don't have it? :?:

You can't see the plate until you remove the heat shield and it's such a close fit you might believe it's not there. That's on my car anyway.

Stop worrying about it - it's really not the end of the world :cigar:

Lee

Seriously this will give me sleepless nights!

Don't get me wrong I owned a Beetle so I'm well heeled in welding up rot. I just didn't expect to be doing it on this car :frustrated:

dommorton said:
Seriously this will give me sleepless nights!

Don't get me wrong I owned a Beetle so I'm well heeled in welding up rot. I just didn't expect to be doing it on this car :frustrated:

Buy a DeLorean ;)

Stuck my head under there just now and can't see anything without at least removing the arch liner.

Not sure I want to investigate further TBH :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back