Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2010 Race 19 & 20 Brands Hatch

Porsche News

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2010 Race 19 & 20 Brands Hatch

Brands Hatch finale for Porsche Carrera Cup GB

The season-long battle for glory in the 2010 Porsche Carrera Cup GB will come to a conclusion in the final races of the season at Brands Hatch (9/10 October) in what promises to be a weekend of high drama on the Indy circuit at the Kent venue.

The pro category is down to Tim Harvey (Red Line Racing) and Michael Caine (Motorbase Performance). Having led the title race all season, Harvey goes to Brands with a 19-point lead. The odds are firmly with Harvey, who needs to score 25 points over the two races to be certain of the title, and that's assuming Caine takes a clean sweep of poles, fastest laps and wins. If Michael scores less than a perfect 44, Tim's job gets easier.

Over the first half of the season, Harvey was peerless and won nine of the first 10 races up to the mid-season break. Only Caine's victory at Brands in the rain on the Grand Prix circuit upset Harvey's run and many considered the title settled with half the season still to run.

But Caine and the Wrotham-based Motorbase Performance squad knuckled down and came out fighting for the second half. Harvey's 40-point cushion has dwindled significantly, but Caine still has a mountain to climb if he is to snatch the title at the last moment. However, with a pack of hard-charging racers on the tight Indy circuit, Harvey knows he cannot relax for a moment and has more than just Caine to worry about.

"From a racing point of view I can afford to be cautious, but we will try and maximise the speed of the car in qualifying," says Harvey. "I won't take any undue risks in the races. I expect Michael to be very quick and we've got to be equal to him, or as close as possible." Caine, meanwhile, knows that he has to go for two poles, two wins and two fastest laps in the final round of this intriguing contest between two fine racers.

Aiming to get right into the lead contest are Stephen Jelley, Euan Hankey and Glynn Geddie from Team Parker Racing, Michael Meadows (Red Line Racing) and Charlie Bateman (Motorbase Performance). All of them are potential race winners as they strive to end the season on a high.

In pro-am1, Ollie Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) is in the driving seat and is looking good to seal the title in the first race of the Brands weekend. If Jackson finishes in the top 10 overall in the first race, or Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) finishes fifth overall or lower, then Jackson is champion. Tony Gilham (Collins ReDesign Racing) is now just out of the running for the pro-am1 crown.

Finally, In the team championship, Motorbase Performance leads Red Line Racing by just four points, so it is all to play for as Caine and Bateman score for Motorbase and Harvey and Meadows score for Red Line.

With a fabulous 25-car grid, the stage is set for a superb weekend to wrap up the best season yet in the history of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB. The headline contest is between Harvey and Caine, but there will be battles all the way down the field.

After qualifying at 13.50 on Saturday, round 19 will start at 17.40 on Saturday, while round 20 will be at 14.45 on Sunday and will be broadcast live on ITV4 during the extensive BTCC programme.

Attachments

• 10_538.jpg
    10_538.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 24,086
Caine tops Carrera Cup testing at Brands Hatch

The stage is set for a thrilling title conclusion after Michael Caine and Tim Harvey set the pace in testing ahead of the final two rounds of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Friday 8 October).

The two overall title contenders headed the time sheets with Caine (Motorbase Performance) going fastest by 12-hundredths of a second from championship leader Harvey (Red Line Racing). Ollie Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) blitzed to the top of pro-am1 with fifth fastest overall while Glenn McMenamin (Red Line Racing) set the pro-am2 pace. In an incredibly competitive field, less than one and a half seconds covered the top 22 cars from the 24-car field.

"It's where we need to be, with Tim behind me," said Caine after setting a best of 47.206s in the day's second test session. Both Caine and Harvey went out on new tyres mid-way through the afternoon session and ended the day separated by 0.124s. However, Harvey was disappointed not to have been fastest. "There was definitely a 47.1s in the car, but I got traffic on my new tyres. The car is fantastic and our goal is to get two poles."

Harvey goes into qualifying with a 19-point lead over Caine, but with 44 points on offer across two races the matter is far from settled. Pole positions for each race is worth one point, so qualifying early on Saturday afternoon will have even greater importance than ever. Equally, with overtaking so tricky on the Indy circuit, the two title contenders are determined to start both races from the front of the grid.

Third fastest in his bid to clinch third place in the final championship standings was Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing). "We're where we need to be for third," said Geddie, who was less than a tenth of a second behind Harvey and just ahead of his Parker team mate Stephen Jelley.

Fifth fastest and pro-am1 leader was Jackson after a mighty performance on old tyres. "We came here testing on Wednesday and that definitely paid off," said Jackson. "I'm very happy with that, but I could have found a bit more time at Surtees." Behind Michael Meadows (Red Line Racing) and Tom Bradshaw (JHR) was Ahmad Al Harthy (Red Line Racing), who was second in pro-am1. "It's just a matter of finding space in qualifying," said Al Harthy. "We know we have good pace."

Attachments

• brands4_100.jpg
    brands4_100.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 24,084
Further TV boost for Porsche Carrera Cup GB final

Coverage of the final weekend of the 2010 Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch (9/10 October) has been given a further boost with the news that round 19 on Saturday afternoon will be broadcast live on itv.com

For the first time ever, BTCC qualifying will be broadcast live on the web and that coverage will be extended to cover the penultimate race of the Carrera Cup GB season.

Normally, only the Sunday races for the Carrera Cup enjoy live TV coverage on ITV4, but for this final weekend of the season the live broadcast is being extended to cover Saturday afternoon. The broadcast will be available at: www.itv.com/touringcars and will run from 3pm until 6.15pm.

With a good possibility of at least one of the season-long Carrera Cup title battles being resolved on Saturday, this exciting development is excellent news for those who cannot get to Brands Hatch.

After qualifying at 13.50 on Saturday, round 19 will start at 17.40 on Saturday while round 20 will be at 14.45 on Sunday and will be broadcast live on ITV4 during the extensive BTCC programme.

Attachments

• donny2_209.jpg
    donny2_209.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 24,081
Jelley takes double Carrera Cup pole at Brands Hatch

Stephen Jelley leapt to the head of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Saturday 9 October) when he took a double pole position ahead of the final two races of the season. While Jelley claimed his first poles of the season, championship leader Tim Harvey took two seconds while his title rival Michael Caine was third and fifth fastest.

In the other categories, Ollie Jackson moved to within an ace of the pro-am1 title by taking two poles and George Richardson and Paul Mace shared the top places in pro-am2 as less than a second covered the top 17 drivers.

"We've been chasing that all year," said Jelley (Team Parker Racing), who set his time later in the cycle of tyre runs and so took advantage of a slightly clearer track to break the 47s barrier when setting pole for race one. He then added a 47.003s second best lap to ensure a double pole. "The two behind me have got their own thing going on," said Jelley of title contenders Harvey and Caine.

"The car was mega," said Harvey, after taking two second places. "But we went out too early on the second run and got a lot of traffic. From a championship point of view, it's good that Michael hasn't got the two points for poles." Caine, however, was frustrated to qualify, by his own high standard, relatively poorly in third and fifth. "We changed the car during the session and when I went back out it just wasn't like having new tyres on the car," he said. If Harvey finishes ahead of Caine in round 19, with Caine not taking fastest lap, Harvey will be secure as champion.

Euan Hankey and Glynn Geddie from Team Parker Racing and Michael Meadows (Red Line Racing) packed out the top six for both races, with Hankey moving up to third for the second race.

Jackson (Motorbase Performance) claimed pole in pro-am1 for both races, posting seventh fastest overall time on both grids. "I'm a bit gutted to be down in seventh overall, but I can't complain about the result from a championship point of view."

It will take two overall podium finishes for Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) for the Lithuanian to beat Jackson to the pro-am1 title. "The track is quite tricky," said Gelzinis, who was racing on the Brands Indy circuit for the first time. He was second on both grids, while Ahmad Al Harthy (Red Line Racing) took two thirds in pro-am1.

Attachments

• brandsfinal1_102.jpg
    brandsfinal1_102.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 24,063
Harvey, Jelley and Jackson score in Carrera Cup at Brands Hatch

While Stephen Jelley scored his first Porsche Carrera Cup GB victory, Tim Harvey clinched the overall title and Ollie Jackson secured the pro-am1 title in the penultimate round of the season at Brands Hatch today (Saturday 9 October).

Jelley (Team Parker Racing) led from the start but had to cope with constant pressure from Harvey (Red Line Racing) before taking his debut win in the championship. With title rival Michael Caine (Motorbase Performance) finishing sixth after a spin, Harvey claimed the overall title for the second time in three years.

"This has been my best ever year of racing, but it doesn't get any easier," said Harvey. Meanwhile, race winner Jelley was elated with his victory. "That's an absolutely mega result," he said.

In pro-am1, Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) coped with race-long pressure from Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) to win the category in both the race and the championship. "We've worked all year for that," said Jackson.

Jelley got the jump from pole to lead the early laps as Harvey slotted into second with Caine, Euan Hankey and Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing) making it a five-car leading pack. Caine set fastest lap on lap five to keep his title hopes alive, but the complexion of the race changed as the leading pack dived down into Graham Hill Bend.

Jelley slid wide on dropped coolant, but Caine's car snapped sideways and he spun to a halt. "I saw Stephen hit the fluid; Tim missed it but I touched the brakes and it just went," explained Caine. He then had to spin the car back onto the grass to avoid the next pack and dropped back to 13th place before he could rejoin.

Hankey and Geddie were delayed avoiding Caine and so Jelley and Harvey went clear at the head of the race. Then, Hankey picked up a puncture and had to stop in the pits, which left Geddie in a secure but lonely third. Harvey chased Jelley all the way to the flag and when they came up to more traffic on the final lap it got even closer. "I just planted it on the inside at Clearways and dragged it to the line," said Jelley as Harvey finished a tenth of a second behind in the dash to the flag.

"It was a little bit tense on the last lap," admitted Jelley. Harvey, meanwhile, did not realise that he had won the title with Caine dropping down the field. "I assumed Michael was in third. I had no idea he'd slipped back. I'm so glad it's resolved and I can now enjoy tomorrow's race," said Harvey.

Geddie ran a solid third while Michael Meadows (Red Line Racing) and Charlie Bateman (Motorbase Performance) took fourth and fifth ahead of Caine who fought back strongly to finish sixth, while Tom Bradshaw (JHR) took seventh after fending off Bateman for many laps.

In the battle with Bateman and Bradshaw were the top four pro-am1 racers and it was Jackson who capped a fine season by winning the title as he held off Gelzinis, Ahmad Al Harthy (Red Line Racing) and Tony Gilham (Collins ReDesign Racing). "I had plenty of pace, but it wasn't easy," said Jackson. Gelzinis, meanwhile, raced to make certain of the pro-am1 runner-up slot, rather than attack Jackson, in the knowledge that the category title was out of reach.

Attachments

• brandsfinal2_184.jpg
    brandsfinal2_184.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 24,042
Jelley does Carrera Cup double at Brands Hatch

Stephen Jelley completed a perfect weekend with another victory in the final round of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Sunday 10 October). The final race of the season was played out in front of a huge crowd at Brands Hatch and in glorious autumn sunshine.

While Jelley won from the front, Ollie Jackson secured a pro-am1 double and George Richardson wrapped up a great weekend with his second pro-am2 win, while Motorbase Performance clinched the team championship in dramatic fashion.

With four laps to go, Tim Harvey was running second to Jelley and that put Red Line Racing at the head of the team title race by a single point. But when Harvey suffered a rear puncture with four laps to go, the Motorbase squad moved ahead to claim the team prize.

Jelley added to his weekend haul by winning the 'driver of the weekend' award, while Team Parker Racing won the 'team of the weekend' award.

Jelley (Team Parker Racing) got away best from pole to lead as Harvey (Red Line Racing), Euan Hankey (Team Parker Racing) and Michael Caine (Motorbase Performance) made a tight leading quartet. Just behind them, Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) slotted into fifth to take a clear pro-am1 lead.

With the top four cars so evenly matched, it was nip and tuck stuff and Jelley was always under pressure from Harvey. Unfortunately, a slight delay in traffic dropped Hankey and Caine a few yards back from the lead contest. For lap after lap, Jelley soaked up the pressure from Harvey, but then with four laps to run Harvey suddenly slowed and toured into the pits with a rear puncture.

Although Hankey and Caine ran close to Jelley over the final four laps, Jelley held his nerve to take his second victory. "Tim didn't make it easy," said Jelley. "To see him drop back was a big relief." Hankey swept through to second with Caine his constant shadow. "That was very, very hard work," said Hankey. "Michael was on me all the time; everything was going on!" Caine, meanwhile, was almost speechless having seen Harvey hit trouble for the first time in 2010 when he had clinched the overall crown less than 24 hours earlier.

Jackson completed his amazing 100% finishing record across 40 Carrera Cup races in two seasons with fourth overall and pro-am1 victory, but over the closing laps he came under considerable pressure from Tom Bradshaw (JHR), Charlie Bateman (Motorbase Performance) and Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing). "I got a bit held up by backmarkers and then I had to defend," said Jackson. "That's a great finish to the season."

Finally, one of the best drives of the race came from Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing), who started from the pit lane after a big rush to get the car ready. As the team went to warm the car up before the race, a problem with the flywheel meant they had to take the gearbox out with less than half an hour to go. They just got the car fixed and Geddie then drove superbly to battle through to finish ninth overall.

Attachments

• brandsfinal3_203.jpg
    brandsfinal3_203.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 24,022
"Finally, one of the best drives of the race came from Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing)"

ditto and a great team that deserved more from the 2010 season. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back