Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2010 Race 15 & 16 Knockhill

Porsche News

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2010 Race 15 & 16 Knockhill

Scottish date for Porsche Carrera Cup GB

The unique challenge of the Knockhill track in Fife is next on the schedule for the Porsche Carrera Cup GB with rounds 15 and 16 at the Scottish circuit (4/5 September).

Tim Harvey and Ollie Jackson are the 2 drivers at the head of their respective categories as teams prepare to head north, but there is still everything to play for as the season heads into the final three race weekends.

With ten wins from 14 races to date and a 34-point championship lead, Harvey (Red Line Racing) is looking strong in his bid to win a second Carrera Cup GB title. However, these are anxious times for Harvey as Michael Caine (Motorbase Performance) took a resounding double at Silverstone to close the points' gap and this is far from a done deal for Harvey.

As well as the resurgent Caine, who has won three of the last four races, Harvey faces a gaggle of challengers as well as the notoriously unpredictable Knockhill weather as he bids to maintain his championship margin. Knockhill has a habit of turning title races around and Harvey knows well enough that Caine is only one of the threats he faces at the Dunfermline track.

"It is still hard to close the gap on Tim, said Caine. "We'll go to Knockhill knowing that we can win and if the boys at Motorbase give me the car as good as at Silverstone, I'll certainly have a go. Maybe the luck is turning a little bit. I love going to Knockhill!"

Striving to stop Harvey and Caine having it all their own way are Team Parker Racing trio Stephen Jelley, Euan Hankey and local ace Glynn Geddie, all potential race winners at the three-dimensional Scottish track. Geddie in particular, will be chasing a podium and his first Carrera Cup win at his home track. "Knockhill is where I started racing and last year I got a good result in the Carrera Cup. When the home crowd is there it's always good to put a show on," said Aberdeen-based Geddie.

In pro-am1, Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) continues to extend his lead over Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing), but drivers like Tony Gilham (Collins ReDesign Racing) and Ahmad Al Harthy (Red Line Racing) are still very much in contention. For Gelzinis, a couple of incidents at Snetterton and Silverstone have blunted his challenge, but he will come back strong to try and erode Jackson's 32-point lead.

In the battle for pro-am2 drivers counting their best seven weekend scores in the pro-am2 title race. For the Knockhill race weekend, the local Celtic Speed team will grow to four cars as young Rory Butcher joins Brewster, Bob Lyons and Tommy Dreelan in the squad.

With a superb 25-car field and the prospects of three battles within each race, it is going to be another great weekend for the Porsche Carrera Cup GB.

Carrera Cup qualifying is on Saturday at 14.00, with the first race at 10.20 on Sunday and the second race at 16.10. The second race is due to be shown live on ITV4 in the extensive BTCC race day programme, which starts at 11.30am.

Attachments

• standardebbannerusethis_105.jpg
    standardebbannerusethis_105.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 18,326
Caine tops Carrera Cup qualifying at Knockhill

Michael Caine claimed a double pole position ahead of rounds 15 and 16 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Knockhill today (Saturday 4 September).

Caine topped an incredibly close qualifying session at the Scottish track to head the grid for both races, while Jonas Gelzinis set the pro-am1 pace and Rory Butcher led the pro-am2 times for each race. However, with guest racer Butcher not scoring points this weekend, George Richardson and George Brewster shared the points for pro-am2 poles.

After a troubled day in testing, Caine (Motorbase Performance) jumped to the head of the time sheets as less than a second covered the fastest 13 cars around the challenging Fife circuit. The qualifying results also allowed Caine to trim two points from Tim Harvey's championship lead. "After the first run I thought pole would be in the 50s bracket," said Caine. But his best lap of 51.041s was the fastest of the session. Importantly for Caine, title leader Harvey (Red Line Racing), who qualified third and then second fastest, has a gaggle of quick drivers around him.

"I need the other boys up there," said Caine, knowing that he needs other drivers taking points from Harvey if the championship gap is to come down sufficiently for Caine to challenge over the final six races of the season. "It's safer at the front," added Caine. Second for race one was a good result for Euan Hankey (Team Parker Racing).

"That's so much better; we're back to the car feeling good and I hooked up all my sectors," said the Carrera Cup Scholarship driver. Hankey was third fastest for race two, while Harvey will start from third and second places. "I think the car was capable of being on the front," said Harvey. "I've just got to keep my nose clean in the first race," he added.

Fourth on the grid for both races will be Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing) after a strong session, while Stephen Jelley (Team Parker Racing) and Charlie Bateman (Motorbase Performance) each posted a fifth best time.

In pro-am1, Gelzinis (Juta Racing) clinched both pole positions, despite being further down the overall times than he had been in testing on Friday. "I had a spin on my first set of tyres, which was not so good," said Gelzinis, who had category rivals Tony Gilham (Collins ReDesign Racing), Ollie Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) and Ahmad Al Harthy (Red Line Racing) very close behind for what promises to be a pair of great races in pro-am1. "Today was my first run on new tyres and there's more time to come," said Gilham.

In pro-am2, Butcher (Celtic Speed) set a fierce pace, ending the session with eighth and tenth places overall. "We've made up a lot of time since testing and I'm now up where I'd hoped to be," said the young Scot. The points for pro-am2 poles, however, went to George Richardson (Motorbase Performance) and George Brewster (Celtic Speed).

Harvey wins Carrera Cup round 15 at Knockhill

Tim Harvey scored one of the most important wins of his 2010 title campaign when he clinched round 15 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Knockhill today (Sunday 5 September).

While Harvey battled ahead of early leader and title rival Michael Caine, some tremendous battling all the way down the field led to victories for Tony Gilham in pro-am1 and guest racer Rory Bucher in pro-am2. But the biggest winner was Harvey, who maintained his title lead with five races left to run.

Off the line, Caine (Motorbase Performance) got the lead as Harvey (Red Line Racing) settled into second place. Behind them, Glynn Geddie and his Team Parker Racing team mates Euan Hankey and Stephen Jelley battled for third and initially Geddie went after the two leaders.

On lap four, the fierce battle between Hankey and Jelley came to a head as they dived into Duffus Dip and contact pitched Jelley onto the grass. "It was a wild ride trying to get it stopped on the grass," said Jelley. While Hankey retired with a damaged radiator, Jelley rejoined well down the order and faced a tough race now that the car was missing its front splitter.

Up front, Harvey shadowed Caine for 15 laps and could easily have settled for a safe second place and important championship points. But Harvey had other ideas and saw where Caine was struggling before attacking on the run out of the Hairpin to take the lead as they sprinted past the pits. Once ahead, Harvey steadily eased away for a very significant win. "That was about pride," said Harvey. "It would have been easy to follow Michael but I wanted to win for the team. It was a special win."

Caine accepted that he did not have the pace to re-challenge Harvey. "Out of the hairpin was a real struggle; the engine was flat and Tim just drove past me," said Caine who took a secure second place while Geddie bagged third after a strong drive on his home track.

"After a few laps I was struggling for traction," said Geddie, as Charlie Bateman (Motorbase Performance) battled into fourth. "Hankey and Jelley made it easier for me, but I struggled in the last part of the race," said Bateman.

A tremendous fifth overall went to Butcher (Celtic Speed), who was the leading pro-am2 racer although not eligible for points. "I'm just delighted," said the local ace. "The car was working so well." Michael Meadows (Red Line Racing) and the recovering Jelley were next up before pro-am1 winner Gilham (Collins ReDesign Racing), who dived ahead of Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) in the final two laps.

"I had the pace all race and it was a now or never move into the Hairpin," said Gilham. Ollie Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) completed the pro-am1 podium, with Ahmad Al Harthy (Red Line Racing) right on his tail at the finish.

Attachments

• knoc_01_139.jpg
    knoc_01_139.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 18,271
Caine wins Carrera Cup round 16 at Knockhill

Michael Caine won a dramatic round 16 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Knockhill today (Sunday 5 September) to narrow the gap to championship leader Tim Harvey to 27 points with four races to run.

Harvey rescued a potentially disastrous non-finish to claim fourth place after a trip through the gravel and into the tyre wall. In pro-am1, Tony Gilham completed a tremendous weekend double and guest racer Rory Butcher also wrapped up a second win in pro-am2 as George Brewster took maximum points.

There was action from the start when a multi-car tangle at Duffus Dip on the first lap delayed Stephen Jelley and sent Karl Leonard, Liam Griffin, Jonas Gelzinis and Tautvydas Barstys to the pits. Although none of the cars were left at Duffus, there was coolant dropped on the track and that was to provide more drama when the leading pack arrived on lap two.

Caine (Motorbase Performance) scrambled through but Harvey slid wide at the following Scotsman Corner and ran across the gravel and nudged the tyre wall. He then scrabbled out of the gravel trap and bounced over the grass before rejoining, but lost his front splitter in the process. Meanwhile, Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing) followed Harvey through the gravel and the safety car was sent out to allow the marshals to treat the slippery track.

From the restart, Caine swept ahead as Charlie Bateman (Motorbase Performance) ran second from Euan Hankey (Team Parker Racing). While Caine pulled away to score a resounding win, Bateman and Hankey battled all the way to flag and Hankey took second after making the decisive move into Clark on the 13th lap. "I just got my head down after the safety car and looked after the car," said Caine. "That was one for the team and a good birthday present for my mum," he said.

Hankey was delighted to be back on the overall podium after a strong race, while Bateman earned the 'driver of the weekend' award for his fighting third place. "It was a great result and I think I had the pace to beat him. But I made a small mistake and he got through," said Bateman. Remarkably, Harvey claimed fourth after running with team mate Michael Meadows (Red Line Racing) on his tail. "It's not often you go through the gravel, hit the wall, loose the splitter and flat spot the tyres and still finish fourth," said Harvey after a vital recovery drive in title terms.

Into a great sixth overall and first in pro-am2 went Butcher (Celtic Speed), who had Geddie in pursuit over the closing laps. "It shows that Celtic run a great car," said Butcher after a superb weekend, which earned Celtic Speed the 'team of the weekend' award. Into eighth, after a tough race with Ollie Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) went Gilham to win pro-am1 for the second time in the day. "I struggled after the re-start to get the tyres working, but it's been a great weekend," said Gilham.

Top scorer in pro-am2 was Brewster (Celtic Speed) after a fine race, having had George Richardson (Motorbase Performance) as a constant shadow over the first half of the race. "That might be a defining moment in the championship," said Brewster.

Attachments

• knoc_02_143.jpg
    knoc_02_143.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 18,269

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back