Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2010 Race 11 & 12 Snetterton, Nor

Porsche News

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2010 Race 11 & 12 Snetterton, Norfolk

Caine tops Carrera Cup testing at Snetterton

Michael Caine stormed to the top of the time sheets in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB during testing at Snetterton on Friday 6 August ahead of rounds eleven and twelve of the championship.

With just 1.4s covering the top 14 cars by the end of the day, Caine (Motorbase Performance) headed championship leader Tim Harvey (Red Line Racing) by 14-hundredths of a second. In pro-am1 Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) set the pace in a strong sixth overall while Paul Mace (GT Marques) headed the pro-am2 category.

As ever, the testing times were all about who ran new tyres and Caine was elated to set his best time on tyres that were not new at the start of the day. "They'd done 10 laps before and then we later changed them side to side before I did my best time," said Caine. "It's the right start for the weekend," he said of his home races. Team boss David Bartrum explained the source of Caine's part used tyres. "We found them in the back of the container where we store all the used tyres," said Bartrum. "We knew they were in there somewhere!"

Harvey was a little disappointed to finish the day second, having run new tyres in both sessions. "We tried two different set-ups on the car and I think we went the wrong way in the afternoon," said Harvey. "That's a good time from Michael," added Harvey.

Firmly in contention in third slot was Stephen Jelley (Team Parker Racing), who was closely followed by his team mates Euan Hankey and Glynn Geddie. "That's the first time I've tried new tyres here and I was well surprised by the level of grip they gave," said Jelley. "We're definitely looking positive for tomorrow."

Sixth overall and an impressive fastest in pro-am1 was Gelzinis, who spent the morning session running in new drive shafts and learning the track. In the later session he slashed his best time to jump to the top of pro-am1, just half a second away from Caine's best time. "That was more or less okay," said the Lithuanian with some understatement. "I expect to be at least four-tenths faster with new tyres," he added.

Michael Meadows (Red Line Racing) and Charles Bateman (Motorbase Performance) were strongly in contention in seventh and eighth places as Ollie Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) and Tony Gilham (Collins ReDesign) took top 10 places overall as well as second and third in pro-am1. "We made a tweak and it was much better," said Jackson. "The time is there."

Attachments

• standardebbannerusethis_374.jpg
    standardebbannerusethis_374.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 18,524
Caine and Harvey share Carrera Cup poles at Snetterton

Michael Caine and Tim Harvey shared the pole positions for rounds eleven and twelve of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB during qualifying at Snetterton today (Saturday 7 August).

In a session run with rain threatening and interrupted by two red flags, six drivers claimed pole positions as Jonas Gelzinis and Ollie Jackson shared top spot in pro-am1 and Glenn McMenamin and Paul Mace each took a pro-am2 pole.

Despite taking pole for round 11, Caine (Motorbase Performance) was frustrated not to add pole for round 12 when an on-track misunderstanding with Glynn Geddie and then a red flag cost him two laps that looked set to be good enough for the second pole. "I felt that we'd got the pace for two poles and that would have proved a point," said a disappointed Caine. "We've done everything right so far this weekend."

Harvey (Red Line Racing) acknowledged his rival's speed. "Michael had the pace on me today. The time he set is very, very quick," said Harvey, who ended the session second for round 11 and first for round 12. Harvey also praised a new assembly system, which sent the cars out in the order of times set during testing on Friday. "It worked very well. We all got a good series of clean laps at the start of qualifying," said the championship leader.

Third on both grids was Stephen Jelley (Team Parker Racing). "I'm a bit frustrated," admitted Jelley. "P3 is okay, but not to be half a second off Michael's best time." An excellent fourth for both races was Carrera Cup Scholarship racer Michael Meadows (Red Line Racing) with his best qualifying performance of the season to date. Geddie (Team Parker Racing) was fifth of the pro drivers on both grids, but was headed for round 11 by Gelzinis (Juta Racing), the leading pro-am1 racer.

"I didn't make a good lap on my first set of tyres," said Gelzinis, who thought his second best lap would be some way from the pro-am1 pace. However, the final time sheets showed that he had traded places with Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase), leaving each driver with a first and second place as they continue their battle for the pro-am1 title.

Jackson was simply relieved to have finished the session unscathed after a high-speed spin at Riches on coolant dropped by Andrew Shelley (Red Line Racing). "That was a huge scare," said Jackson after missing the barriers by a few feet. With McMenamin (Red Line Racing) and George Brewster (Celtic Speed) spinning into the gravel at the same time, the session was red flagged. Tony Gilham (Collins ReDesign Racing) and Ahmad Al Harthy (Red Line Racing) took third and fourth places in pro-am1.

Attachments

• snett_01_568.jpg
    snett_01_568.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 18,522
Caine wins Carrera Cup round 11 at Snetterton

Michael Caine scored a commanding win in round eleven of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Snetterton today (Sunday 8 August). Starting from pole position, Caine charged ahead from the start and was able to out-run title leader Tim Harvey to score his second win of the season.

Ollie Jackson led pro-am1 until the final corner when an attack by Tony Gilham sent Jackson spinning. However, after the race a time penalty was applied to Gilham to reverse the finishing order and put Jackson back to the top of pro-am1. In some great battling down the field, Glenn McMenamin emerged to win pro-am2 from Paul Mace and George Richardson.

"I got a cracking start," said Caine (Motorbase Performance). "I've not always started well this season, but I did one when it counted. The car from Motorbase was superb," he said after steadily easing away from Harvey (Red Line Racing) to score an emphatic victory. "I owed it to everyone to start the second half of the season with a win," added Caine.

Harvey always chased, but accepted that Caine had the better pace. "We set the car to come in a bit later in the race and I pushed to get the point for fastest lap," said Harvey after narrowing the gap mid-race. "Michael was very quick, so second place with fastest lap is only a one-point loss in championship terms."

A strong third throughout was Stephen Jelley (Team Parker Racing) and in the middle of the race he was able to match the pace of Caine and Harvey. "Then I flat spotted a front tyre going into the Esses and had to settle for third," said Jelley. Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing) ran a strong but solitary fourth as Euan Hankey (Red Line Racing) fended off Charles Bateman (Motorbase Performance) in a race long battle for fifth.

Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) ran as high as fourth overall in the early laps before losing a couple of places to the pro drivers. His initial pro-am1 rival Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) went out after hitting Michael Meadows (Red Line Racing) at Russell. That moment cost Meadows the chance of fourth place and put Gelzinis out with a damaged radiator.

Meanwhile, Jackson headed pro-am1 but in the final laps Gilham (Collins ReDesign Racing) closed the gap and when Jackson was held up by a backmarker Gilham moved even closer heading into the final lap. "I was managing the gap and then a backmarker at Coram cost me a lot of time," said Jackson.

Into Russell for the final time, Gilham dived for the inside and the cars made contact, with Jackson spinning as Gilham's car flicked up onto two wheels. Though Gilham got to the line before Jackson, the positions were later reversed when Gilham was award a time penalty.

Attachments

• snett_02_180.jpg
    snett_02_180.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 18,495
Harvey wins Carrera Cup round 12 at Snetterton

Tim Harvey made it 10 wins from 12 races in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Snetterton today (Sunday 8 August). However, a last lap moment left his margin of victory over Michael Caine at just five-hundredths of a second.

Ollie Jackson completed a fine weekend with a second pro-am1 victory, while Paul Mace clinched the pro-am2 win. A second overall podium earned Stephen Jelley the 'driver of the weekend' award, while Team Parker Racing took the 'team of the weekend' award.

Having saved his best set of tyres for the second race of the day when he started from pole position, Harvey (Red Line Racing) got the jump at the start over Caine (Motorbase Performance) and led all the way. However, with both drivers at the top of their game, they were incredibly evenly matched and the gap was never more than two seconds.

Then, in the closing stages, Harvey came up to lap a couple of slower cars and into Russell for the last time he ran wide over the kerbs. In an instant, Caine saw his chance and almost pulled up alongside on the sprint to the flag. The final margin was 0.054s, less than half a car's length.

"That was cutting it a bit fine," said a relieved Harvey. "I caught the backmarkers at all the wrong times and I ended up on the kerb. I just sneaked across the line." Caine thought Christmas had come early, but could not quite get level as they raced to the flag. "We were bang on the same pace," he said of his on-going battle with Harvey.

Jelley (Team Parker Racing) completed a good weekend with another third place, but reckoned he would have been closer to Caine but for a handling problem that developed during the race. "To start with the car was fantastic, then I had a couple of big moments," said Jelley.

A fine fourth went to Michael Meadows (Red Line Racing) who worked ahead of Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing) when the Scot put a wheel on the grass at Coram. Behind Geddie was pro-am1 winner Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) in sixth overall after a very strong drive.

"The car was absolutely spot on," said Jackson, who extended his pro-am1 title lead as Tony Gilham (Collins ReDesign Racing) battled ahead of Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) late in the race. "We had to guess the set-up after the incident in the first race," said Gilham. "I had understeer all race, but I managed to pressure Gelzinis into a mistake."

Attachments

• snett_03_158.jpg
    snett_03_158.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 18,488

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back