Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

FAQ, How to add radiator bumper grills to a 996 ...

GT4

EDITED TO ADD SOME GUIDANCE ON PU REMOVAL

Inspired more by a chunky stone-chip based replacement rad bill, than wanting to copy the gen2's (finally) standard fitment, I have added grills to my car.

RECIPE:
Bumper off (lights out is optional)
Make rough cardboard templates
Cut out mesh to size (tin snips)
Form into shape around vent aperture (by hand)
Fix in place with small tie-wraps (cable ties)

OPTIONAL:
Dinitrol 4010 (S) coat rads and a/c heat exchangers, any other metal surfaces that take your fancy!
Cut small (20mm) corner aperture for small dirt/debris to escape from air channels.

£20
http://www.bestautobits.com/categories/Car-Exterior-Accessories/Car-Exterior-Grill-Mesh/

£15
http://www.rejel.com/rejel-store/categoryid/25/list/1/level/a/productid/9438.aspx

I forgot to get close ups or fitted on car (before it went off for its PSE bypass and now it's at the detailers :oops: )

Edited: to update Rejel link which had been changed on their website

PU REMOVAL:

Video:

Fixing locations:

removing_the_front_bumper_102.png

List of images (attached in 2017 after Virgin Media lost the original images I hosted):

1.) 997.2 GT3 OEM grilles
2.) Bumper Off
3.) Masks on mesh
4.) Rough cuts
5.) Mesh fitted (formed and cable tied)
6.) Finished (rear)
7.) Finished (front)
8.) Air channels
9.) Corner
10.) New corner vent (side-cutter)

Attachments

• dscf8292_472.jpg
    dscf8292_472.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 497
  • dscf8268_465.jpg
    dscf8268_465.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 496
  • dscf8272_608.jpg
    dscf8272_608.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 496
  • dscf8307_140.jpg
    dscf8307_140.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 499
  • dscf8321_210.jpg
    dscf8321_210.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 500
  • dscf8312a_420.jpg
    dscf8312a_420.jpg
    775 KB · Views: 500
  • dscf8294_661.jpg
    dscf8294_661.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 500
  • dscf8266_244.jpg
    dscf8266_244.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 497
  • bumperoff_179.jpg
    bumperoff_179.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 498
  • porschegt3_grill_806.jpg
    porschegt3_grill_806.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 498
Good work :thumb:

I'll hopefully find the time to do mine.

Any pics of the bumper back on the car :?:

I forgot to get close ups or fitted on car (before it went off for its PSE bypass and now it's at the detailers :oops: )

Good write up and welcome to the Grill Club... :thumb:

Stuart said:
welcome to the Grill Club... :thumb:

... I'll have the pate followed by the lobster, a bottle of chablis and a bottle of sparkling mineral water.

Thank you.

GT4 said:
Stuart said:

... I'll have the pate followed by the lobster, a bottle of chablis and a bottle of sparkling mineral water.

Thank you.

You asked for it

TB

Attachments

• wtf_funny_14_705.jpg
    wtf_funny_14_705.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 5,901
bumperoff.jpg

That is indecently clean in there. You aren't getting out enough!!

GT4 - Just out of interest why does your car seem to have a centre rad? Is it because yours is a tiptronic? :dont know:

choatie said:
GT4 - Just out of interest why does your car seem to have a centre rad? Is it because yours is a tiptronic? :dont know:

X51 power kit, includes the centre rad...

Richard,

My car has been locked up indoors since November 11th (when it was serviced and washed)

Out of the cotton wool last Weekend for grill treatment (although that involved all of 20ftx2 in and out of garage), last Wednesday for it's PSE bypass (to and from Essex on the M25 mostly), then Friday off to KDSKeltec for a detail (1/4 round M25 to Gillingham).

Once the weather has changed I will get out more.

Its first proper "outing" will be Waddesdon (although that probably depends on the rain holding off ...)

Yep, the "mouth" on that pufferfish look-a-like is the X51 centre water cooling rad (for extra engine cooling).

Choatie, you're right that a Tip has a centre rad aswell, but in that case the rad is fitted for transmission cooling (via an inboard ATF to coolant heat exchanger)

tbrown said:
GT4 said:
Stuart said:

Thank you.

You asked for it

wtf_funny_14_705.jpg

TB

Thanks. I was hoping for something more up-market (that sounds odd when referring to a Turbo BBQ!)

No one's eating off my tea-tray/two-tier cake rack!

about_01.jpg

GT4 said:
tbrown said:
GT4 said:
Stuart said:

Thank you.

You asked for it

wtf_funny_14_705.jpg

TB

Thanks. I was hoping for something more up-market (that sounds odd when referring to a Turbo BBQ!)

No one's eating off my tea-tray/two-tier cake rack!

Aha! THAT's what that ticking noise is I can hear at the back when I get out after a spirited run. Chicken ticker! It don't smell too good though - maybe rubber chicken ticker?

Inspiration

Thanks for posting this thread.

Since my car is away getting steam cleaned and waxed )bumpers off etc., I saw this thread and decided to go ahead on my Mk1 GT3. Hopefully the results will be spot on.

When you used Dinitrol on the rads, did you mask off the rad mesh?

Thanks

Mark

Re: Inspiration

Lavazza said:
Thanks for posting this thread.

Since my car is away getting steam cleaned and waxed )bumpers off etc., I saw this thread and decided to go ahead on my Mk1 GT3. Hopefully the results will be spot on.

When you used Dinitrol on the rads, did you mask off the rad mesh?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,
how you enjoying the 3 ??
Who is doing your under body waxing ?? And long is it taking ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back