Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Problem with OPC!

cyclonepath

Hi all, Please can anyone help!

In May I took delivery of a Cobalt Blue 05 Carrera S (997) with 33,000 miles on the clock, it came with a 12-month warranty from an OPC. All was well with the car, except the off-side rear tyre needed some air (twice) in the first three months. Its battery went flat in late July, and I returned it to the OPC, it needed a new one. (£250)

I asked them to check the tyre plus the front near-side tyre which had some tiny cracks along it edge. They informed me that all looked fine with both of them, but the rear near-side tyre had a nail in it and would need a new one, which they duly fitted (Ouch!!!)

They also informed me that its RMS seal was leaking oil, so it returned there yesterday for a new one under warranty. OPC phoned me up late yesterday afternoon, to inform me that the two front tyres were down to 3mm, and I asked them to replace them. I also asked them to replace the clutch plate while the car was in bits.

She also informed me that someone had repaired a puncture in the off-side rear wheel since my last visit in July!!! I told here that no one had been near the tyre, but she insisted that this was the case.

Since owning the car I've maintained that all work on it would be carried out by OPC. In the belief that this would be the best for the car?

So my question is; Where do I go from here? They have obviously sold me a car with a defective tyre, but there is no way that I can prove this.

What makes them think that I would pay nearly 40K for a car, and let some clown from a corner garage repair a flat!

What are your thoughts please?

Out of interest: I have only covered 1400 miles since owning the car. And only 200 since my July visit.

Kind regards Tony

Whilst this experience will no doubt annoy and grate, I'd suggest just replacing the tyre and focus on enjoying your Porsche - you're a long time dead :)

Whether you chose to use that OPC again is your call.......

Whilst annoying....I wouldjust get the tyre replaced & move on....no big deal here

May be worth writing to your OPC head man - but wear and tear is part and parcel of owning a car - the puncture seems weird - and it seems like a run of bad luck - which happens - but most importantly enjoy the car, and see if your OPC has a heart!

Bad luck Tony, a disappointing start to your ownership experience.

The tyres and battery are consumables and not covered by your warranty. I believe that this would be true of any warranty. Accepted wisdom also suggests that batteries can fail at around 3 years, so your failure is not that unusual. In fact, I had to change mine in January.

If I read your tyre situation correctly, althuogh you have been unlucky to pick up 2 nails, it's the discovery of the repair on your o/s/ rear that's the concern.

It seems to me that the OPC missed the repair during their 111 point check. Again, perhaps not too difficult an oversight. The problem is that they won't admit to this and you can't prove that you haven't had it repaired yourself.

As the other guys have suggested, it seems you'll just have to write this off to experience and focus on enjoying the many good points of your car.

OPCs can be good or bad. If you're unhappy with your treatment at the hands of your OPC, perhaps you could check out a different one in your area for future support.

Cheers,
Roy

at £250 for a battery, I suggest you take your car elsewhere :bye:

I would not be happy, the battery should be replaced under warranty you presumably had a minimum of six months warranty for everything, irrespective of the porsche warranty, the battery should be replaced as a matter of goodwill! Also stand by your guns on the tyre if what you say is true then insist on a replacement. This kind of treatment by a main dealer on this level of car is scandalous, i am so glad I use an indie for mine ,they make my blood boil. They act like fancy dressed back street cowboys, shame on them, regards Mike

Many thanks for all your comments! I've had a long chat with the head mechanic, and it turns out that there was a puncture in that tyre, it's tiny, hence the slow loss of pressure. The (repair) was not leaking. So the car will be coming home tomorrow with four new tyres and a clutch. Just in time for a run down the coast. :lol:

All the best, Regards Tony

Attachments

• tony_911_123.jpg
    tony_911_123.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3,475
My limited experience with 3 OPC's hasn't been good, I won't use one again. My local(ish) independent is going to get my business.

I'm afraid that most main stealers are in some way related to Dick Turpin.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back