Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

More OPC madness

Evil_C

Okay, so how much would you guess that it would cost to replace the information sticker inside the drivers door?

£25 maybe?

No, quite a bit more according to the following article from this week's Auto Express:

Buy a car with a premium badge on the bonnet and you'd expect to pay top whack for parts. But one Auto Express reader may have found the most overpriced component ever!
After bagging a used Porsche 997 C2S, Tony Connolly of Wilmslow, Cheshire, was prepared to put his hand in his pocket to get his car looking immaculate. Yet he says the only glitch was the torn information sticker inside the driver's door. And he was astounded when he called his local Porsche Centre for a price.
It had been only five weeks since the dealer sold the 2005 car, yet he was told a new sticker would cost him a huge £120 plus VAT! He said: "I couldn't believe the price. I love the car, but this beggars belief. The firm should take a reality check."
So how can a sticker cost so much?
When we called the Nottingham Porsche Centre to find out, even the dealer principal admitted that £120 plus VAT "sounded ridiculous"! However, the parts department explained it was a special order item. As each one carries chassis related data and paint codes, they are made specifically for each car.
And when we spoke directly with Porsche, a spokesman also defended the rate, arguing each sticker was "made bespoke". He added: "This part is virtually never ordered by customers directly. As they have to be made in Germany for a particular model, there is no economy of scale, plus it involves manual work," But when pressed, he admitted this "manual work" involved searching computer records for the car, and getting a sticker printed off.
After our calls, the Nottingham centre offered to sell Tony the sticker at cost price - around £100! Quite understandably, he still refused.
He said: "There's no way I'd pay that for a sticker. It just makes me think that if Porsche charges so much for something so simple, then surely its cars must be overpriced, too!"

:eek:

lol, it just gets worse. Although I understand the comments made and the reasons behind why the sticker "might" cost so much, but that is just ludicrous. :nooo:

Porsche, your losing customers everyday it would appear. :dont know:

Porsche is a top end brand, and the product is "over priced" - but that adds to its desirability - but £120 for a sticker for a porsche owner - this is losing brand value and desirability.

If honest, I dont like the whole OPC "service" at a premium - I prefer the indies - which make owning a porsche more affordable.

I wonder how things will change with the VW takeover imminent!

In fairness to the OPCs - I don't think you can blame them for this one... They have to go to the factory for this and they are clearly setting the price in Stuttgart.

The problem we have here though is that the OPC network in Germany is BRILLIANT... They only do what is necessary, don't charge 'scheduled times' for labour - they tend to have fixed prices for the job, that are more in line with the Independents here, and generally care a lot more about their customers.

IMO the problem here stems from our crazy franchise rules and possibly from the whole setup at Porsche GB (which was just a dealer until not so long ago - AFN).

I assume PCGB is a distributor? or a subsidiary of Porsche themselves?

If they are a distributor then Germany telling them what to sell for is illegal.

Thats MAD!!! Makes £670+vat for a rear leather Panel that sits in the back like a door card but not.... Great value!! :nooo:

PCGB is the club :thumb:

Porsche GB is now wholly owned subsidiary of Porsche AG, so they can dictate prices, etc. (within BER of course).

P orsche C ars G reat B ritian is the acronym i was referring to.

anyway, monopolies are great aren't they, wish I had one.

Pork Sword said:
Yes Porsche, you are losing customers. I for one will not be taking my car to an OPC or buying one of your extended warranties.

+1 :frustrated:

Pork Sword said:
Yes Porsche, you are losing customers. I for one will not be taking my car to an OPC or buying one of your extended warranties.

Dito!!!! Not only have they increased the price from £700 to £1200 if you read the new Warranty Policy there are loads of parts that are not covered now! :?: Rip off if you ask me

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back