Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo Cab

Wicky

I am looking at buying a 997 turbo cab and it would appear that the majority of cars for sale are tiptronic's. Having owned a number of C2's with manual boxes can anyone advise on pro's and con's of the tip over manual. is the resale better on a tip over a manual?
Really cant decide on what to do and appricate some help and advise from other owners! Thank you!

Good morning. Scott uuf361 recently bought a stunning 997 Turbo tip so he'll be along shortly.

I think Tiptronic was more popular on 997 Turbo's cab or not than it is on the naturally aspirated models and I would guess even more popular on the cab + given there isn't a huge amount of cabs either on the road or the market I would just accept whatever transmission comes on the right car otherwise.

Good luck with your search!

I've had my 997 TT Cab Tip now for 3 weeks and have to say I am relaly enjoying it - the previous 2 cars (a 996 C2 Cab and an AMV8 Vantage Roadster) were both manuals so this is my first auto since my Chevrolet Blazer SUV (which really doesn't compare!)

When looking around (not that I was specifically looking for a TT to start with) there seemed to be a higher proportion of C2/C4's with manual and the majority of the TT's came in tips.

TBH, I am finding the Tip box perfectly fine.......have left it in full auto mode a lot of the time as it really is quite good but the buttons can be used at any time (whether in D or not) and are really a lot of fun.

I'm not sure how it would affect resale having one versus the other TBH.

A few months ago I drove a manual TT and remember thinking it was OK, but not stunning, not sure why TBH, but I know that I prefer the Tip on mine - guess I would say that

If you're in any doubt I would drive both (if you get the opportunity) and decide for yourself - I think a lot of it comes down to individual preference, either way I don't think you'll be disappointed as it is a truly great car :D

I found the Tip box to really suit the Turbo with its torquey engine...
Heck! its even quicker than a manual :wink:

garyw

I moved to a tip for the 1st ever this January - I cant see myself ever going back to a manual now.

Though I only have a C2S - the performance is still great, and its just easier driving!

Suppose it comes down to preference, but having driven purely manuals for 17 years, the tip is just awesome!

I replied to this thread yesterday (as did other people) but our posts seem to have disappeared :sad:

I find the Tip very easy to live with. It's relaxing in built-up areas and very nimble on the open road.

You can drive it as you would a manual, using manual mode if you wish - there are plenty of threads on the subject in this forum. Also some people also in these pages say a tip's faster than a manual box in a turbo car.

Finally in my opinion a tip box is likely to be more resilient if you experience an RMS leak, as you there's no exposed clutch to become contaminated. Assuming you keep the oil topped up, of course.

Happy hunting :thumb:

Roy

Ah, it all makes sense now!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back