Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

buying questions

Neilmac48

In 4 months time I will be retiring from the fire service when I intend on buying a 997 carrera 2 S.I am budgeting 45-55k though I can see the upper limit being a bit flexible! I want a 56 or 07 plate,manual,full navigation,chrono pack and sports exhaust.I have been to my local OPC which is Chester and given them my requirements,they have been extremely helpful.Offered me a free place on the driving experience at Silverstone(which I did'nt take),had a test drive around local roads with one of there driving consultants.
My questions are,
1 Never having owned such an expensive car or know anyone with one,when it comes to buying can you haggle with the price?
2 Can you 'play off' other OPC's regarding price,these would be Bolton OPC and Wilmslow OPC?
I will be paying for the car with cash and I do want the Porsche warranty for peace of mind being a pensioner!
Thanks in advance for any replies,sorry for the long winded post.

Welcome to the forum Neilmac48!

First of all good choice of car, C2S. Your bugdet will easily buy you a good example. Don't rule out the independant garages (those that offer a warranty, that is) as they will be able to give you more bang for your buck. Yes, you should be able to haggle any OPC price as they not all owned by the same franchise. If you're being offered a free driving experience at Silverstone, I would grab it.

Any other questions, please post up.

~ Maxie :thumbs:

Blimey, and I thought it was just me who got a Porker out of that last arson job!

(sorry for joke in poor taste, and welcome!)

... PS - you'll have to slow down once you're retired, no blue lights either ;-)

seriously though, everything is negotiable. Just don't lose sight and fall in love, or at least don't show it. Also, don't get pressured by the glass gin palace show room and smart salesman (or his manager when they pull him in to tell you what an idiot you are for not signing NOW with SupaGard and tyre Insurance at full whack!)

In four months, I don't see the OPCs off their knees, or certainly by autumn (once the summer madness has subsided). Take advantage - you only buy once.

Hi and welcome! Sorry for the shameless plug but my 07 plate with all the toys went up for sale a few days ago.

http://www.911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=1067

Issue with negotiating with OPC's at the moment is that there is little well specified stock and what comes in goes straight out so the feeling at the moment is the sticker price.

As said, take the free driving experience though! Well worth it.

As for playing one OPC off against another - go for it.

Obviously, each site will have a specific and "unique" car, compare like with like. So don't try to get money off a C2 by exampling another OPC's Turbo Cab (unless they are genuinely the same price - but beware any sign you are confused by the model and the salesman will smell victory)

Bear in mind, even if both OPCs are directly owned by PGB, each salesman, sales manager and site has bonuses and targets to hit.

If it is anything like the service department's keeness to do work you might end up going to sealed bids in a reverse auction!

Just take into account previously mentioned stock levels, but these may alleviate after the summer.

:welcome:

A good choice of car.

You can definitely negotiate even if some of the OPC's initially say they won't although in my experience they would offer very little off their (often overpriced) cars.

In the end that's why I was happy (for the second time) to go private as I saved a fortune and still had the benefit of the warranty if anything went wrong.

You may have to compromise a little on the spec (Ihave both times when buying pre-enjoyed) although your must haves should be there on a lot of cars (but maybe not the PSE) but you will end up with a great car :D

Firstly, grab Jamie's car!
Secondly, consider private sellers with opc warranty as it can be transferred.
Thirdly, grab Jamie's car - you know it will have been looked after!

Thank you gents for your helpful replies,I had an idea that supply and demand would mean that prices would stay firm.My mates where saying haggle over the sticker prices and see what freebies you can get but as I said in my original post none of us have any experience of such exotica.By the way I retire on my 50th birthday and intend on touring Europe,frequent trips to the Nordschleife,Le Mans,track days and of course every day driving-can't wait! Cheers.

Got 13k off of a nearly new 2S PDK, sports chrono etc. etc. after a bit of haggling, they were offering £5K off a new one, probably more with haggling.
don't pay the sticker price! Now or over the next few months is the time to buy an expensive car.

mikeyyn said:
Now or over the next few months is the time to buy an expensive car.

Hi,

You also need to bare in mind that the VAT goes back up from December time - so you will save yourself another 2.5% if you buy before then. Not a huge amount but all helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back