Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Have you or others suffered a major 997 Engine Failure?

Just having a look through this lot and unless I missed it, I didn't see a single engine failure on a Tip?

My C2S is a tip and this had an engine failure on no6 cylinder last February. New engine fitted by Porsche. This was in the early thread.

Dear Ahmedz
From what you describe it almost sounds that the Engine got water inside it, perhaps from being exposed to rain water after the accident. Or it was in deep water at some point.
It sounds as though the engine was therefore sludged. Clearly the assesment was that the engine was not serviceable, although I suspect it was re builable, but which would be cheaper?
If the car had been in normal use I suspect that it would not have sludged in 15000 miles unless it was continually stop started and only run a couple of miles at a time, so the engine never got warm, but experienced maximum internal condensation.
Because the sludge sits at the bottom of the sump, you cant see it and the 997 Dash Indicator will only tell you that the oil level is OK not the quality of the oil or whatever.
The area of concern that is essentially the debate on this thread, is the tendency for bore number 6 to fail through erosion of the nikasil liner on that bore.
Thanks and Regard Big Bob

A friends Boxster engine has just failed at 20k, do they share the same engine as the 997? :dont know:

sidlo said:
My C2S is a tip and this had an engine failure on no6 cylinder last February. New engine fitted by Porsche. This was in the early thread.

Sorry, yes I did miss that one. Was this the only one?

Is the difference between the 3.6 and 3.8 caused by a longer stroke or thiner liners/wider bore?

Ref: the Boxster question, yes they are similar engines to the M96 engine. Have a look at Hartech website for the specific differences.

Cheers.

apw2007 said:
A friends Boxster engine has just failed at 20k, do they share the same engine as the 997? :dont know:

Yes they do have the same core M96 engine with some differences in the capacity etc. Most important thing is that the engine orientation is different on the boxter so you might get different heating/circulation issues

Theo

Blackening Left Exhausts -997 C4S

Read some of this with interest. Does anyone have any insight into this issue. My C4S is sweet.....burns a little oil thats all. I have noticed that the left exhausts are significantly blackenned relative to the right. Should I be worried?

Any views or similar experiences?

Hi Folks,

So my engine warning light came on yesterday evening :sad: , there was a loss of power, and the car was shuddering a bit as I limped back to Portiacraft, the Indy that I bought the car from only 6 months ago.

It's a late '55 plate with 64K on the clock. I'll let you know what they say the problem is and also if their warranty is worth the paper its written on.

Cheers

Pav

gj72, let's hope it is something simple. It could be.

gadgetJunky72 said:
Hi Folks,

So my engine warning light came on yesterday evening :sad: , there was a loss of power, and the car was shuddering a bit as I limped back to Portiacraft, the Indy that I bought the car from only 6 months ago.

It's a late '55 plate with 64K on the clock. I'll let you know what they say the problem is and also if their warranty is worth the paper its written on.

Cheers

Pav

Panic over :D. Portiacraft replaced a coil pack free of charge and it's all happy days again. I've got a 60K service at JZM next week and then a trip to Centre of gravity next month. It's going to feel like a new car.

In reply to ZigZag, the Left Bank contains the exhaust to bore no 6.
The failure that a few of us are trying to pin down that has affected in excess of 40+ 997 Gen 1 Standard Engines, is caused by the erosion or destruction of the Nikasil coating on the no 6 bore in particular.
This results in increased oil consumption because of oil blow by as the bore loses its geometry, and the piston Rings can't seal as well. This results in reduction in compression, and an increase in noise caused by "piston slap" in the effectively worn bore. In some cases because the piston rings start to run on the parent alluminium of the bore i.l.o. the Nikasil Coating, you can then get pick up betwwen the base bore cast alluminium and the piston, that results in partia seizure and piston ring breakage.
Personally ZigZag you need to have an endoscopic examination of the Bores associated with the Left Bank to identify if it is a bore erosion issue with the Nikasil Coatings.
If it is not then the check may identify other potential causes for grater oil use on the Left Bank.
I'm not trying to be alarmist but please get it checked to be on the safe side.
If this is the problem (ie Nikasil Lining Erosion), I trust you have an effective warranty as it will lead to either a full rebuild or a new/replacement engine.
Commiserations if I'm right :sad: . And I sincerely hope I am not :nooo: .
Best Regards Big Bob :bye:

Is this a silly question?
:?: How about putting some of that Slick50 product with PTFE lining properties? Would that help or is it just another marketing myth?

Porkaholic said:
Is this a silly question?
:?: How about putting some of that Slick50 product with PTFE lining properties? Would that help or is it just another marketing myth?

To be honest I think is waste of money if you have a Nikasil issue. As Big Bob said the cause of the problem is unknown and might be related to fuel contamination or some other factors. If the problem starts then is too late...

It's not always doom and gloom :thumbs:

Only sometimes :wack:

Hi all,
i have a 54 plate c2s tip with only 25k miles, its running perfectly with no issues at all, i have noticed the n/s tailpipes do get dirtier than the o/s though?!
Do i have a reason to worry? after reading this topic i have heard it mentioned. :?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back