Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Carrera 2S vs 997 Carrera 4S (coupe)

psx911

Hi guys,

I've driven the 997 C2S and was very impressed. Am looking at getting a used one next year.

How does it compare to the 997 C4S? Is the C4S much more stable on the road / cornering and in the wet or is the C2S quite usable in the wet??
Would I find the C2S twitchy in the wet? I assume performance wise they are pretty much the same??

Thanks

Hi psx911. I have just bought a gen 2 c4s and the reason for choosing C4s over C2s for me were the following. Please bear in mind that these are my personal oppinions and that different owners require different things from their 997.
1) When I drove a gen 1 c2s and gen 1 c4s back to back the front end of the 2s seemed to move around alot more, a bit wallowy. the 4s felt a little more stable.
2) I have a child on the way so I wanted a bit more security during icy winter mornings.
3) I prefer the look and there a fewer about.
Apart from the above that really is it. Truth be known I think its the fatter arse that I like the best. Im sure in the dry the 2s has no less traction and will be more agile but im never really going to get my car to the kind of limits where the differences will show.
One thing that has pleasantly suprised me is just how comfortable these cars are. I had a b7 RS4 beforehand and that was more hard core suspension wise. Even with pasm on its not bad. I have to conclude that the 997 is a really good GT car.
The obvious thing to say is drive both back to back and find some roads with undulating terrain, it is these kinds of roads that will give you a better idea of how both feel and ultimatley help your decision.
Good luck.

Good summary between the two cars baxster and honest as well.

~ Maxie :thumb:

+1 for wide body (C4)
+1 for AWD (C4)

I test drove a C2S, C4S Targa and Turbo.

Accidentally lost the back end twice in C2S (with PSM on in the dry), never felt anything but complete security (and hoonability) in the AWD variants.

I was convinced I was going to buy a C4S until I took advice and drove the C2S as well. C2S feels alive and I love it! You can barely notice the 44mm width difference on the back end. Look at a ruler, there is hardly any difference.

Jamie said:
You can barely notice the 44mm width difference on the back end. Look at a ruler, there is hardly any difference.

That's true, you need a bit of an eagle eye to tell the difference between the two. And that's before you take into account its 22mm each side..... When the 997 was launched, I couldn't tell which was which but I can now. Also, the rear wheels of the 4WD model look slightly 'pushed in' compared to the RWD version.

~ Maxie

I've had a C4S Convertible Gen I and now have a C2S Coupe Gen II

My understanding is that on the C4S Gen I, the 4wd only kicks in when the traction control steps (i.e. it lights on your dashboard) - so 99% its never in use, just extra weight and less boot space down by about 33%.

My reasoning for purchasing the C4S was exactly to your point, namely extra security.

In reality and based on my experience, with the engine over the rear axel there's a massive amount of grip regardless of the conditions - from my perspective, my driving skills/capabilities will never be enough to stretch a car like this.

For the C4S Gen II, I understand all of the power can now be transferred front and/or back and this will now happen before the traction light comes on which sounds a lot more interesting.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I got any of this wrong :)

thanks for the replies guys.

I'd love a gen 2 C4S but sadly think its a bit out of my budget. I'll see next year, thats when I am going to buy, saving up in the mean while.

I appreciate the extra security of the AWD setup. Last thing I wanna do is spend 40k on a car and then find I cant push it when its a little bit wet.

I'll need to try the C4S out as suggested.

Baxster, just out of interest, how did the B7 RS4 compare with the C4s in terms of straight line pace and pace across country??

psx911 said:
thanks for the replies guys.

I'd love a gen 2 C4S but sadly think its a bit out of my budget. I'll see next year, thats when I am going to buy, saving up in the mean while.

I appreciate the extra security of the AWD setup. Last thing I wanna do is spend 40k on a car and then find I cant push it when its a little bit wet.

I'll need to try the C4S out as suggested.

Baxster, just out of interest, how did the B7 RS4 compare with the C4s in terms of straight line pace and pace across country??
Not had enough time really in the c4s but my initial thoughts are as follows;
1) The C4s appears to have greater pick up from mid range onward.
2) Cross country I would sooner be in the c4s, pasm is just brilliant at ironing out all the bumps and adverse cambers.
3) Less understeer in the c4s.
4) Suprisingly the c4s feels more civalised, the rs4 I had had sports suspension plus which had excellent bump absorbing abilities but was quite firm.
5) The RS4 was more predictable, PASM obviously dillutes interaction between road and driver to a certain degree and at present I am not quite sure how the 4s will react. I am sure when I get used to it things will change.
6) The DRC system on the RS4 is good but there are many reports of leaking dampers (see rs246.com).
7) The noise in the RS4 is just brilliant, the gurgle and pops on over run had me grinning every day.
8) The interior of the c4s is far nicer as less plastic and it feels better quality because of it.
9) Fuel consumption was pretty low in the RS4, I used to get around 25 max on a long run and 17 round town.
Overal the only thing I would say is better in the rs4 is more doors and exhaust note but it is a brilliant car and you would not be dissappointed to have one. There is an RS5 on its way and I was going to go for that but I could not refuse the deal I got on the C4s.
Good luck and just ask away if theres anything else you need to know re rs4.

Maxie said:
Jamie said:
You can barely notice the 44mm width difference on the back end. Look at a ruler, there is hardly any difference.

That's true, you need a bit of an eagle eye to tell the difference between the two. And that's before you take into account its 22mm each side..... When the 997 was launched, I couldn't tell which was which but I can now. Also, the rear wheels of the 4WD model look slightly 'pushed in' compared to the RWD version.

~ Maxie

Jamie, I tried explaining to my missus that 44mm was nothing and she just laughed!!! :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back