Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sports suspension

Dougindevon

Hello everyone,

we are off to look at c2s 997 tomorrow from our local opc centre. It is the perfect spec except it has sports suspension instead of PASM.

We are a bit worried that this will make it a very uncomfortable ride, we wont be using it on a track. Also what is the benefit of the limited slip rear differential?

If you have any feed back for and against that would be helpful before we drive tomorrow

thanks

Can you arrange to drive a PASM car whilst you are there? No matter how many opinions you get off here, it's going to come down to your personal choice, and a back-to-back test would be a good way to decide - just make sure the drive covers a good mix of roads, or more importantly the kind of roads you will be driving on!

I have PASM, on normal setting the ride is great and the sport setting firms it up nicely for those moments when firmer suspension in required (albeit very rarely on the queens highway) - mines a cab, so settings are slightly different from coupe.

If sports suspension is like PASM in sport mode then I personally couldn't live with it everyday - way too firm/jiggly.

Oh - and the LSD is of little or no use if you aren't going to take it on track or temp fate with plod.

Maybe worth asking why it has that spec - i.e. has it been extensively tracked?

yeah we were just talking about doing a back to back test i think it is the way to go!!

i'm still interested to hear others comments though

Doug, this topic is one that has been debated before. Do a search but here's a starter for 10:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=42082&highlight=lsd

There is no way the sports suspension can be as hard as the PASM option in sports mode as they would never sell any cars, it really does rattle your teeth on our crappy UK roads. It won't be anywhere near as hard but I haven't tried one so it's just my opinion.

As the -20mm plus LSD is an option I would have thought it would have to satisfy both track and road.

Pete

A client of mine bought the sports suspension on a car from Mark at Stirlings and the consensus was that it was not as hard as PASM sports and felt altogether much better ride. Go and test drive it and make your own mind up! He's not a track animal and he doesn't regret it at all.

i dont mind if it is a bit stiffer than normal but if my girlfriends teeth are chattering she might get pi@@ed off!

Dougindevon said:
i dont mind if it is a bit stiffer than normal but if my girlfriends teeth are chattering she might get pi@@ed off!

If her teeth are chattering, check the air con temperature before you blame the suspension :puh:

Ah well we went for it anyway it was fantastic the ride was great!!! 2 weeks to wait though i dont think i can bare it!!!

Attachments

• dsc000_913.jpg
    dsc000_913.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 4,535
Doug, good to hear it. Did your gf go in with you for the test drive?

Did she have smiles all round too showing those paerly's?

Post some more pics when you can.

Pete

I've driven the -20mm LSD option which was an option the dealer persuaded me not to go for at the time of ordering and to be honest the dealer was talking a load of tosh. I found it similar to PASM and fine to drive everyday and wish I had listened to my heart and got what I wanted at the time. In fact I found it similar to the GT3 Gen I but not quite as stiff.

Not sure about the Sports suspension but from what it looks like is just a bit more firm than the normal mode of the PASM.
When I put the Sport mode on the PASM then is like not having a suspension at all... extremely firm. I was trying it the other day on the relatively new part of M25 between M3 & M40 where you expect the road to be smooth but I could not stand it.
To be honest I rarely use the sport mode on the PASM and I let the system make its own decisions :eek:
By the way with PASM the car is lower rather than without if I am not wrong by 10mm.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back