Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 911 Turbo? Standing For Years.. I HAVE PLANS

john_ice

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00683.jpg

i saw this when i was driving round recently.. looks like its been sat for about 10 years if not more.. (there is a sticker in the window says 1988) its such a shame because im sure in its heyday it was bloody stunning... i keep trying to get hold of the owner to see if he will sell her... i would loveeee to restore her!!

what should i pay for it?? it says turbo on the back but im not so sure its a turbo.. i typed the reg into ebay (as if i was going to be selling it) and it came up as a volkswagen 1.6... as i say.. i cant get in touch with the owner he is never in..

any advice on what i should pay for it and any advice on different engine sizes and values??

i wouldnt keep the engine thats in it.. i have a 1997 M5 which im breaking so i would load all that engine into it.. 500BHP :D

im very competent at doing restorations however ive never worked on a porsche..

any advice welcome..

I think you'll struggle to get the V8 M5 engine 500bhp? (it was 400 out of the box has it been breathed on?) in to a 911 its quite a tall block compared to the flat six - plus the drive out of the gearbox it will be to far away from the fromnt of the block if you see what I mean.

Good luck it with the resto if you can get it - they shouldn't be allowed to suffer the ignomy of rotting in someones front garden!

And all power to you if you can get her back on the black stuff

john_ice said:
i wouldnt keep the engine thats in it.. i have a 1997 M5 which im breaking so i would load all that engine into it.. 500BHP :D

any advice welcome..

Ermmm... Don't mean to be patronising, but are you aware that the engine is a flat six and at the back in a Porsche? :grin:

I'm interested to know how you plan to shoe-horn an M5 engine in there and what sort of gearbox, etc you are planning to use! :eek:

Either way, I can't really see the point in that tbh... What makes a Porsche so special is the lightweight flat six engine and it's low centre of gravity: A thumping great heavy M5 engine - with half a ton of water pipes and radiators in an air-cooled chassis would just ruin everything that is good about a 911.

My advice is DON'T DO IT :hand:

i no that putting the M5 lump in would be very difficult.. in the case of removing and refibring the back end of the car (back seats gone and a biggg hole) it should then fit in quite nicely. although.. getting the cooling would be fairly difficult.. if it is a 3.3 or turbo then i would think hard before doing it and may even strip down and rebuild... its been standing that long i bet that all the bolts are made out of cheese now though.

any ideas on what i should spend on buying her as is??

i like that advice and i do like the idea of a flat 6.. i no they can sound the dogs danglers.. its just something im pondering over... although it would add stupid weight to the car im sure.. i might knock that idea on the head and put that engine into the kit car im working on at current..

Wattie said:
john_ice said:

any advice welcome..

Ermmm... Don't mean to be patronising, but are you aware that the engine is a flat six and at the back in a Porsche? :grin:

I'm interested to know how you plan to shoe-horn an M5 engine in there and what sort of gearbox, etc you are planning to use! :eek:

Either way, I can't really see the point in that tbh... What makes a Porsche so special is the lightweight flat six engine and it's low centre of gravity: A thumping great heavy M5 engine - with half a ton of water pipes and radiators in an air-cooled chassis would just ruin everything that is good about a 911.

My advice is DON'T DO IT :hand:

I seriously think you would spend more on getting it ready for the road than it will be worth when it's done (especially with a bastardised engine and a cut and shut rear end making it just about worthless IMO).

Sad, but I suspect that will only be worth anything under the new scrappage scheme (if the owner had the foresight to stick it on a SORN)
:coat:

Its not a 911 , its a Covin - a plastic 911 replica.

Its certainly not a turbo, so dont waste your money.

Fuchs said:

Its certainly not a turbo, so dont waste your money.

are they not worth anything then?? what would you estimate its value at?

what makes you think its a cut and shut rear end???

Wattie said:
I seriously think you would spend more on getting it ready for the road than it will be worth when it's done (especially with a bastardised engine and a cut and shut rear end making it just about worthless IMO).

Sad, but I suspect that will only be worth anything under the new scrappage scheme (if the owner had the foresight to stick it on a SORN)
:coat:

Would certainly explain it coming up as a VW on the DVLA site, good spot Fuchs the wheels are cr%$ also and it would explain why someone would let it just fade away

yeah i jst noticed that they are not level all the way round..

surely its worth something.... even as a project car??

vlad said:

Would certainly explain it coming up as a VW on the DVLA site, good spot Fuchs the wheels are cr%$

IMO it is worthless...

The chassis will be from a 25 year-old Golf (if not older) and certainly will not cope with anything more powerful, with a load of perished fibre-glass on top... It's not even worth anything as scrap metal...

Might make a nice garden ornament though :grin:

its such a shame that its been allowed to get like that..

i might offer to take it off his hands for a fee at the sounds of it haha

Wattie said:
IMO it is worthless...

The chassis will be from a 25 year-old Golf (if not older) and certainly will not cope with anything more powerful, with a load of perished fibre-glass on top... It's not even worth anything as scrap metal...

Might make a nice garden ornament though :grin:

4-stud wheels - means the hubs are neither Porsche nor VW Beetle if I remember correctly....

LOJO

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back