Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC warranties and jumping through hoops.

toffeeman

Monza
I'm trying to get my head around the whole warranty issue. I'm staggered at how Porsche get their owners to jump through hoops just to allow them the privilege of buying an expensive warranty. I've seen a few threads where Porsche have forced people to buy new tyres or a Porsche battery at £250 :eek: . Surely you can get a comparable level of cover from another company at a more reasonable price? I've never bought a warranty before having run Imprezas but I had one from new when I got a Nissan 350Z in 2004. Does anybody run a 997 with a non-OPC warranty? If so, is the level of cover comparable?
When I get a 997 C2S I plan on possibly using Porsche for sevicing but won't go anywhere near them for a warranty as some of the OPC's mentioned on here have hardly covered themselves in glory with their attitude and approach. Porsche don't seem to be any better than any other brand when it comes to customer service which I'm a little disappointed at. I will qualify that by saying I've not had any experience with an OPC but the threads on here generally don't show them in a good light. I'll still get a 997 as I love the car. :D

Craig.

OPC Cardiff are excellent (sales and aftercare), my car is superb, the warranty has covered everything (coil packs) and kept me on the road whilst the car was sorted in a very efficient manner. I will be renewing (for 2 years) and am absolutely delighted with the whole ownership experience, despite what you read on 911uk!

911's are not cheap cars, and don't expect to be able to run one for less that the cost of the warranty. You won't be disappointed. If you can't afford this, you can't afford to run such a complicated both of performance machinery.

Don't touch a third party warranty - I have LOTS of experience in this! The difference in cost when you spec it to Porsche levels of cover is very small (in fact you can't match Porsche cover).

speedy_un said:
911's are not cheap cars, and don't expect to be able to run one for less that the cost of the warranty. You won't be disappointed. If you can't afford this, you can't afford to run such a complicated both of performance machinery.

Allow me to disagree here. It all depends.. In my case I will be driving between 3-4K miles a year with the car been in the garage most of the time. As is a 2 year old car I have decided that is better for me to make sure I save £1350 a year in case I need a big repair (other than service etc).
If you are comfortable that you have the money to pay for a potential repair then I strongly believe that long term you are going to be better off by not having the warranty but again is all about probabilities. If you have bad luck then

:dont know:

I think the main reason people buy the warranty is because they are concerned about the engine and gearbox failing in a big way.

The only 3rd part warranty I've seen that provides complete cover outside of OPC is Hartech.

The next closest is RSJ, but this only covers labour (but will refit reconditioned units from Autofarm for example, to lower the cost).

Before Camtune joined the OP network, they had a good warranty scheme, that I think you can still buy from Cridfords, but this doesn't cover cracked liners.

And lets look at this from Porsche view - they have car sales falling so need something to keep the profits up.

So...they sell you an Insurance product - XL Insurance is the company they use for the "warranty" - with a nice piece of margin in it for Porsche

Gotta keep those OPC's profitable :D

Needing a warranty is a self-fulfilling prophecy IMO: I went 3 years and over 50,000 miles without it on my early (3.4) 996 and only had to pay for less than £1,000 worth of work that would have been covered.

However, had I maintained the warranty, no doubt I would have had at least two more RMS fitted, a couple of sets of coil packs, a radiator or two, etc... :thumb:

On top of that I would have had to spend an extra £2,000 having all the services done at OPCs, and that's not to mention all the other work that would have been deemed necessary each year during the 111 point check.

No way would I pay £1350 a year for this warranty: If you tot up all the above savings it would pay for a recon. engine outright - with change!

But then, if you feel sorry for the Insurance company involved, Porsche GB, and the OPCs, why not buy it and contribute to their profits :thumb:

...just don't whinge and moan when something goes wrong and Porsche don't fix it for free.

...and they are not cheap! Don't ever buy one thinking that they are - you can only be unpleasantly surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back