Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Brake Performance

theogeor

Albert Park
I have been wondering for some time now about the performance of the brakes or the feeling you get when you press them hard
I have notice when the brakes are cold then I have very little confidence on them but then they get better and better. However when I compare them with other performance cars then I have second thoughts. On the top end BMW or Mercedes or even the EVOs etc you feel the brakes and the same applies to a F 360 I drove not long ago. A friend of mine who has also an older Boxter also has a very similar experience.
Is it just me or ????? :dont know: To be honest I do not have a problem with the stopping distance or the actual performance but more about how you feel about them when press them hard. How about the 997s as it supposed to have bigger disks.
Any opinions ??????
:?:

theogeor said:
I have been wondering for some time now about the performance of the brakes or the feeling you get when you press them hard
I have notice when the brakes are cold then I have very little confidence on them but then they get better and better. However when I compare them with other performance cars then I have second thoughts. On the top end BMW or Mercedes or even the EVOs etc you feel the brakes and the same applies to a F 360 I drove not long ago. A friend of mine who has also an older Boxter also has a very similar experience.
Is it just me or ????? :dont know: To be honest I do not have a problem with the stopping distance or the actual performance but more about how you feel about them when press them hard. How about the 997s as it supposed to have bigger disks.
Any opinions ??????
:?:

I can't comment on the 997 but I'm sure they're not different. I think what you're experiencing is a pad that takes a little heat to be at its best, and you're probably comparing the best brakes ever with cars that are inferior. Yep, I said it, inferior. Most cars have too much brake booster assistance meaning you get a nice light pedal and "feel" you are getting better braking. Bollox, what you have is a pedal that is hard to modulate when you're flat out. The beauty of the Porsche brakes is they have the best balance of pedal feel to effort. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I feel really confident with my 997 brakes which give me good smooth progressive slowing down performance without feeling they will lock up, the more I squeeze the more they give me, best brakes I've had on a car. I think they do work better once warmed up a bit.
The brakes in my daughter's 07 Clio are crazy, just touch them and you are headbutting the windscreen catches me out every time!

+ 1 but on a focus

+1 on the Scenic and unfortunately +1 on the CSL I'm looking to change to :(

In fact, nearly all cars are too boosted. This is why Porsches are always regarded as cars that you can "feel"....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back