Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Cold Start-up Rattle

What are your noisy start experiences?

• No problems at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clanging - noisy, but no problem

• Clanging - needed rectification

• Other noise

• Total voters
ResB said:
Just recorded mine. Please consider mine has not been started for about 2 week now I think about it. In fact had to use the key to get in as the remote had shut down to conserve battery power.

Recorded it with PSE off then on for comparison.

http://www.zen89393.zen.co.uk/Archive/Sounds/startup.mp3

Sounds peachy ResB, just like mine :thumb:

Pete

royd999 said:
Thanks all.

@speedy - I've heard that waitrose can be like that!

@jamie - Good idea. I'm in West Sussex, close to Worthing if anyone else is nearby.

That raises another point, as I've been considering whipping the car to the OPC for a proper listen: Naturally the car will be fully warmed-up by the time I get there, so the noise will be long gone. How long does the car need to stand before the noise returns?

Only you can answer that question ! Why not go to the OPC, have a good look around, drink their coffee, spec up a Gen2 and then try to demonstrate the sound.

@ResB: Thanks for the comparison. After the first 4 seconds, the same clatter can be heard, although it seems less noisy than mine. Maybe that's down to the dirfferent exhaust or sound recording equipment.

@jamie: Yes, I think a few coffees and a mooch around the OPC's premises will be on the cards this weekend. Better find out if their service department will be open on Saturday!

I just had a PSE fitted at an OPC and it sounds exactly as you describe re rattles. Not ideal and I;d be interested to know if there is a fix.

start up rattle

My C2S has a nasty rattle from the back for several seconds on cold start-up, very rattly before settling and disappearing completely. Everyone comments however, and it really doesn't sound very inspiring in a much-lauded high performance car. especially when BMW M3's, Subarus and similar sound mechanically smooth and powerful.Is there anything that can be done to fix it?

Listening to the M3 Clip, one thing that is clear is that it is not major mechanical ie hardcore engine issues.
It seems very exhaust focussed, and the OPC diagnosis might be right.
Of course we have had the coldest winter period for a few years, so you may be getting an impact from that as it goes very quickly after 35 secs, which can only be the exhaust system warming to "cure" the noise.
As the weather warms up I suspect it might appear better.
In the end if its driving you mad, you will want to fix it so ask the OPC how they would reduce the noise level if they were asked to!
In general engine systems are more likely to be noisier on start up, particularly with cold ambients until the thermal loading brings all the tolerances back to the correct operating level.
Big Bob :bye:

Cornwallnewbie, your sound does seem very close to mine and fades away after a similar period.

Booked in for its major service next Monday and the exhaust rattle is high on the agenda. I'll update this thread when I get it back.

Great colour BTW, but not sure about the aeorodynamic mod to the rear plate. Must make reversing difficult :floor:

:lol: top quality heath robinson

you should see the wooden air dam on the front :wink:

Well we had the first major service yesterday at the OPC and I'm pleased to say that she sailed through with only a couple of cracked coil packs and a lightly bruised bank account :grin:

The noise WAS positively diagnosed as the auxiliary air pump. In fact, while we were there, they started up a 54 plater in the showroom, which sounded identical.

Anyway it's good news all round, with thanks to Jeremy and the gang at Porsche Mid Sussex for their excellent customer service :thumbs:

BTW - if anyone's thinking of buying from there, you should note that they no longer open on Sundays.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back