Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Accidental Trunk release

siy

Monza
Hello all... other than going down the SmartTop route, is there a way of changing the bonnet/trunk release on a 997? I am forever returning to my car to find it open, as I must be hitting the button on the key fob accidentally.

Anyone else do this often?

Is the 997 fob different to the 996 ? The 996 required you to press and hold for a couple of seconds to get the bonnet open.

In over 3 years of ownership never had it happen once :dont know:

Unless I am mistaken (and not with the car at the moment) I think it just takes a single quick touch on the button to open it on the 997....am prepared to be proved wrong though!

It happend to me few times not only when I had them in my pocket but also when trying to start the engine......

My 997 certainly needs a couple of seconds press to open the trunk from they key. Won't open it with a single press.

siy said:
Hello all... other than going down the SmartTop route, is there a way of changing the bonnet/trunk release on a 997? I am forever returning to my car to find it open, as I must be hitting the button on the key fob accidentally.

Anyone else do this often?

+1 all the time :frustrated:

I find mine open all the time! :?: well not ALL the time, but a lot of the time!

Well I checked mine last night, and you probably have to hold the key for 1.5 - 2 seconds for it to open - but that must be what I am doing when the keys are in my pocket... bloody annoying!

I often catch the trunk release button on the door sill with my big feet when getting out without realising. Maybe that's why it's always open when I return to my car :dont know:

Fantastic - booked in to see the new OPC in Byfleet (ex-Camtune) this Saturday so will take advantage. Thanks for that!!! :D

yeah, I also get (got) it a lot. I have always felt it is because the key has a raised area for the boot release and so when in my pocket it is being pressed and held.

I solved the problem by letting my wife drive the car each day. She doesnt put the keys into her jeans pocket.

I hope Porsche read these forums, as they could design this problem out for zero cost.

As suggested, my local OPC (Byfleet) sorted this for me whilst my car was in... they re-programmed it for a slightly longer press before it releases.... hey presto - I haven't gone back to find the trunk open (yet!)

It's a pain in the backside. Yes it takes a couple of seconds to press and release but I have had many occasions where I have put the keys into my pocket to find it open on my return. I now walk away from the car with keys in hand - just got into the habbit of it. I'm in for a service next week so will ask the OPC to re-programme it too. Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back