Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Black 911 C4S Window Tints

L3YTN

Guys,

I had some subtle window tinting done as I felt that the windows were too light compared to the black paint....now it looks like it should have done when it left the Porsche showroom.

I know that AutoWerks are banner advertisers on this forum and I can't recommend Harry highly enough....he personally did all the work himself - it was a labour of love!

There were lots of pictures taken....maybe Harry could post the link to them???

Cheers!
L

many thanks for the above post! it was very nice meeting you last week, and i hope you didn't get too bored waiting for it to be finished.

the tint that was applied to the windows suited the car and the colour down to the ground. we went for a light 50% film on the sides and a slightly darker 35% film on the rear screen. it's subtle enough to be noticeable, which IMO is what tinting is all about.

anyway, here's some pics:

rear screen with a 35% (light transmission) film
DSC_0058.jpg

the rear quarter window looks dark in this pic, but that's only because you're looking at the rear of the drivers seat
DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

daylight pictures are really needed to show the true level of tint, but regardless it was absolute joy to work on this car! lovely metallic colour and a good sound to boot - should be even better with the sport exhaust on it!

Did you have any issues with the grey "dots" around the edges of the windows - especially the rear window??? I had mine done at Pentagon recently and have to say they did a very good job on the side windows but im not totally happy with the rear, esp at the bottom lower edge where the grey dots are as it hasnt adhered that well.

the dot matrix is always a difficult area to get right, nothing to do with the installation but purely because of their presence. essentially you are trying to lay a flat piece of film over a bump and what end up getting is this:

/[]\

if you can imagine that / \ is the film and [] is the dot.

a tiny amount of water remains in the very corner between the film and the dot which you cannot remove with a squeegee, it just doesn't come out.

the height of a dot dictates how well the film will sit over it, and as the dot heights vary between manufacturers it can be a bit of a pain.

what i recommend is to allow the film to dry out naturally, usually 2-3 days (but in this weather it's longer), so that the water in and around the dot matrix area is no longer there and then run your finger or a credit card wrapped in a micro fibre towel over the dot matrix area, always working from the inside edge of the matrix outwards and never the other way as you risk lifting the film off the screen.

ofcourse this may not be of any help to you if you had the film installed some time ago.

Hi I am interested if getting this done and live in North London. Could not find the ad for autowerks so can someone tell me where they are in the country.

Also I just wondered what the rear view is like when it is night time? Mainly as I have to parrallel park in the street every day and do not have rear parking sensors.

Hi,

The details for Harry at AutoWerks are:
663 Ajax Avenue
Slough
Berkshire
SL1 4BG

Tel: 01753 570010
Email: [email protected]
http://www.the-autowerks.com

He is 2 minutes from the Slough junction on the M4 in the trading estate....he has a map on the website.

Can highly recommend his services.

To answer the question of the visible 'dot matrix' at the edges of the film....I had a good look today as they have now been done a week...if you look really hard close up you can see some tiny difference in colour but hardly visible....I'm in the design game so detail is my 'thing'....no issues at all!

No issue with visibility from any of the windows....the level of tint is very subtle...the pictures above really don't show what it looks like. Infact the side windows look pretty much exactly like the rear quarters but the pics make it look very different???!!

Cheers!
L

ok thanks that is not too far at all. When I googled autowerk Porsche I came up with a company in Norwich, which is a long way. How long does it take roughly, can I wait while its done?

I read on one forum that if you have the back window too dark and it is night-time then is it nigh impossible to see anything out of the back. Does this depend how dark you have the tint?

BTW had my wing mirror knocked half off by some mindless idiot last night so if anyone knows of any info on internet about DIY removal/replacement of the unit I would really appreciate it. I need to but a new mouting bracket.

L3YTN said:
No issue with visibility from any of the windows....the level of tint is very subtle...the pictures above really don't show what it looks like. Infact the side windows look pretty much exactly like the rear quarters but the pics make it look very different???!!
i agree, the pictures do not show a true reflection of the level of tint on the rear side windows. the reason for this is because the angle that the pictures were taken you're looking through the window and straight at the back of the passenger or drivers seat.

a side-on pic would show the true level of tint - but alas, i didn't take one. :dont know:

997addict said:
ok thanks that is not too far at all. When I googled autowerk Porsche I came up with a company in Norwich, which is a long way. How long does it take roughly, can I wait while its done?

I read on one forum that if you have the back window too dark and it is night-time then is it nigh impossible to see anything out of the back. Does this depend how dark you have the tint?

BTW had my wing mirror knocked half off by some mindless idiot last night so if anyone knows of any info on internet about DIY removal/replacement of the unit I would really appreciate it. I need to but a new mouting bracket.

It will take roughly 5 hours to complete the install, depending ofcourse on whether you want the front windows tinted aswell or just the windows from the b-pillar backwards.

You are more than welcome to wait whilst the work is completed. We have a reception area with TV, coffee machine, sofas and wifi access if you want to bring a laptop along with you.

Thanks for the info Harry. Can I ask if you have a light meter the same as the police have ,as you know that front windows have to let 70 percent of the light in. Obviously don't want to have it done illegally (and I am sure you don't do it) as some cars about have their side windows as dark as the back ones.

Is there any guarantee/certificate you give that the front side windows will stay legal for the police and Insurance company?

Would not want the rear quarters too dark so my 5yo boy could still see out.

I will give you a call next week to have a chat. Are you the guys that also do the hidden wheel balancing weights too.

997addict said:
Thanks for the info Harry. Can I ask if you have a light meter the same as the police have ,as you know that front windows have to let 70 percent of the light in. Obviously don't want to have it done illegally (and I am sure you don't do it) as some cars about have their side windows as dark as the back ones.

Is there any guarantee/certificate you give that the front side windows will stay legal for the police and Insurance company?

Would not want the rear quarters too dark so my 5yo boy could still see out.

I will give you a call next week to have a chat. Are you the guys that also do the hidden wheel balancing weights too.

we have a light meter that measuers the amount of light that the window allows throug.

the only two windows that have any legal restriction on them are the front two, driver and passenger side. the front windscreen can obviously have absolutely no tint on it whatsoever. every window other than this can be tinted to whatever level the owner wants, so when you say that you've seen cars with a dark tint on the side, provided that it's one of the windows behind the driver then that's absolutely fine.

and yes...we're the guys that can hide the balance weights behind a wheels spokes.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back