Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hardtop on a 997...

Team McLaren

I'm about to take delivery of my 997 C4S Cab and have bought a hardtop off someone on eBay (well at least I'll give him the cash when he delivers it on Saturday!).

I have a couple of questions please.

1) How do I ensure it's a 997 hardtop and not a 996, despite him telling me it was bought in Feb 2005 which would suggest a 997 car of course? I checked and was told that the 996 hardtop is almost identical. Anyone shed any light on an easy way of telling, please?

2) How do I fit it? I'm not expecting it to come with instructions so are they easy to fit or do I need a manual and do they need tweaking when you fit them or do they just snap in place?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Richard.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92431

not sure a 996 hard to would fit on a 997...

worth calling up your OPC parts dept to check... as it would be very unlike Porsche to allow parts to be interchangeable between new and old models !

there is a chance it may fit ?

as to how they fit, I'll defer that answer to those witgh Cab's...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92435

The 996 hardtop has two bayonet type fittings at the back and a single clip at the front and is then covered by a peice of plastic trim.

The two bayonetts at the back side into holes on the car and then you need to give them a full turn with an allen key - that should be supplied with the hard top. Then then lock into place like a light bulb. The front then clips on and you are done.

It takes two people and approximatly 5 minutes. Not sure how you would tell the difference though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92457

Well it was a local OPC that said the 996 and 997 hardtops were very, very similar and almost (but not quite!) interchangeable.

I'm wondering how specifically I can ensure that it is a 997 hardtop. Are there any differences to the catches or fittings for example? I'd rather be 100% certain it was for a 997 before handing over the cash since I'm unlikely to attempt to fit it there and then as I'll have only just picked up the car!

Does anyone have any printed instructions (although So Poo - thanks for your input) on fitting a 997 hardtop?

Thanks.

Richard.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92546

without sounding flippant, you could try fitting it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92560

Oh

Reread the post, you haven't taken delivery yet - sorry

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92561

Shouldn't there be a part number stamped on it somewhere?

Couldn't you check this when the guy delivers?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92567

My manual (996) has instructions in it for the hard top. May not be in the 997 manual as it is an option.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92568

Thanks guys.

I've been given four numbers off the hardtop and none of them made any sense to the dealer.

I was hoping there was an easy answer, such as: the 996 hardtop had two catches at the back and two at the front and the 997 has only one at the front, or something similar! Maybe I'm being too hopeful.

I could try fitting it when he delivers it but since I'll have only had the car for an hour before it I'd rather not fit it for a while, and even though who knows if I'll keep it on. The guy at the dealership definitely said the 996/997 hardtops are very, very similar and if you offered one upto the car it wouldn't help tell you either way since they'd both appear to fit.

Any other ideas guys, and sorry for this to be a one way street at the moment (me asking you for help and offering nothing in return, except joining your forum and your 911 gang, having left the Mercedes SL gang!).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92571

Where are you based mate?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92598

Hampshire, near Basingstoke.

Hadn't thought that there might be instructions on fitting the hardtop in the normal manual. I guess I'll find that out on Saturday. However, I wonder if it'll be missing things like the alan key or any other fittings?

I know you get what you pay for so I'm happy to accept a few corners cut at the price I'm paying and it's meant to be brand new and unused.

Anyone got any pics of the 997 hardtop from the inside to show the design and I could then check this against the item perhaps?

Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92617

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Team McLaren on 22 November 2006

The guy at the dealership definitely said the 996/997 hardtops are very, very similar and if you offered one upto the car it wouldn't help tell you either way since they'd both appear to fit.
and it's only an ebay product so if it doesn't fit just stick it back for auction...

sounds like you want to try.... assuming you have to pay for it before you try, then if it is truly a bargain then worth a punt...... the fact you can resell it means you havent lost much in reality !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92642

997 Hardtop

Im having the same dilema; i have a 997 C4S and cant seem to find a 997 hardtop anywhere!!. Then i asked a guy on ebay, who advised that to fit a 996 hardtop to a 997 you require some aditiona parts to make it fit...

He also advised that the total cost of the parts is approx 100-150 pounds..The hoods are very very identical....

Has anyone done this....put a 996 hardtop on a 997?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back