Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone else think new daytime LED running lights look AWFUL?

At least where I live, there's no regulations on daytime running lights. I have mine turned off, and I actually like them that way.

Today I saw an Audi A5 with the lights on, can't say I like them either. :roll:

Do they have to be so feckin bright!!! It's ridiculous, moves your eyes away from the shape or detail of the car and blinds you in the process.

I like the Beemer angel eyes that they had, just right in brightness and appearance. IMO

Funny how everyone's perspective seems to depend on whether they actually OWN a GenII or not.

There only seems to be one member so far that owns one and has disconnected them/not liked them

Me? I've got a GenII C4S and I think the running lights are great and I love the big mirrors. GenI will start to look dated soon......

Both were simply not factors influencing the decision to buy one (but I have decided to love them so I get maximum value out of my ownership experience)

PDK, Direct Injection, 385BHP and Ipod connector on the other hand......

goodethernet said:
Funny how everyone's perspective seems to depend on whether they actually OWN a GenII or not.

You've lost me there.....why should that seem funny?

~ Maxie :?

hmmmm, actually, I think the V8 Vantage looks pretty good with them. They're not 'IN YOUR FACE' bright though. I think it was one of the first cars to have them, so it was more of a 'ooooh, that's new' thing back then.

goodethernet said:
GenI will start to look dated soon......
Don't be silly - a different front bumper, rear lights and bigger wing mirrors means that most people can't even spot the difference between GenI and GenII cars, let alone consider the GenI to look dated!

TDK said:
goodethernet said:
GenI will start to look dated soon......
Don't be silly - a different front bumper, rear lights and bigger wing mirrors means that most people can't even spot the difference between GenI and GenII cars, let alone consider the GenI to look dated!

Lighten up, I was being a bit tongue in cheek with my whole post to be honest. :)

For what its worth, I don't like the LED's on the Audi's; don't mind the design on the 911 but agree with others that they are too bright whatever the manufacturer; like the suggestion that one might as well opt for dipped main beam; agree wholeheartedly that the BMW's angel lights were a good solution and ...

finally, think that the lights on the latest BMW 5 series are the result of a designer indulging in too many drugs and reruns of Transformers ! :p

For someone who is quite sensitive to glare, these LED lights are a real distraction. :x

Rant over :frustrated:

Hate the LED running lights on both the Audi and the Porsche
Makes a fabulous car look like a council house at Christmas. What a waste of time.

ResB said:
TDK said:
Agree totally about the giant wing mirrors on the gen2, god knows why they changed the design?! I certainly don't have a problem weeing what's behind me in my gen1.

Simon.

Simon, I believe these mirrors are the required standard for the US market in terms of size. Porsche I also believe left them as standard for the EU countries also!

There you have it, 997 Gen1, the last of the legendary 911's with normal size ears! A future classic appreciating car :thumbs:

We are soon going to get back into the debate of Gen1 over Gen2 again. In fact - I am going to start it as I'm having a quiet afternoon. I own a Gen1 and I have driven a Gen2 which I thought was fantastic! The Gen2 is a much better car in every way (small cosmetics aside) however to drive and own there is little difference. The interior is identical save for the PCM. The exterior is hardly noticeable to someone not in the know and whilst everything under the bonnet is much better - Gen1 is perfectly adequate. So, Gen2 a better car! But and here is my only point, is it worth £30K cost to change an '07' Gen1 to a '58' Gen2 - not for my money!

It is very true that the cosmetic differences (apart from the blinding LEDs) are barely noticeable.

I didn't even realise the mirrors were different until after I had bought my GenII car and somebody on here pointed it out.

Now they look, well,.....bigger.

I was in 2 minds about the front LEDs (love the rear LED's though), but after 2 months ownership I'm starting to like em. Was surprised at how much brighther they operate as daytime running lights than side lights though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back